*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220031-Not-Just-Words-On-A-Page
by AJons
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1220031
A personal perspective sharing insight and motivation behind the need to put pen to paper.
Writing without the underlying need to do so is like a marriage without passion; things might look fine from the outside but anything more than a cursory glance will show there is nothing sturdy behind those walls, nothing burning within the inhabitants of that house that transforms them from unaffectedly being simply occupants to actively, engagingly, living in it.
So too with my belief that writing without drive and desire, passion and persistence relegates the effort to simply being words on a page. That is not how I want to write and certainly not what I would want to read. I hope some of this desire comes through in what I write, that there will be found humor and wit, cynicism and sincerity, and always honesty. Why does it seem to be that important ? Of all the masks I wear and of all the roles I play in daily life, the one underneath them all is the writer - a voice which speaks more clearly and whose convictions carry more confidence than all the other voices I have.
This will be a journey of discovery for me, where writing is very personal and more often than not, very private. It has always been a part of who I am and the ability to put thoughts, feelings, insights and observations into written words but not into the spoken kind, was realized early on. As time and life moved forward the effort I put into writing ebbed and flowed but never the underlying need. It seems only when I write am I really tapping into the real me, only when I write are all my self imposed barriers laid to rest. As I approach the mid century mark, I think it is about time I honestly gave voice to what has been kept inside for so long, for better or for worse. And finally, freely, the perceived judgements of others don't matter to me anymore.
Perhaps this site is the place where old dreams can reawaken and new discoveries can be made,
I'm counting on it.
© Copyright 2007 AJons (abrahamjons at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220031-Not-Just-Words-On-A-Page