*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220472-Importance-of-Technology-In-English
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1220472
Technology is important in our lives just as it is in our English classes.
Over the years, scientists and scholars have increased their studies, and have acquired more and more knowledge. With this knowledge, the development of technology has been expeditious, and proved to be a great success. Most, or all, scientific discoveries have been gained only through the use of technological objects, and had they not been there, people might still think the earth is flat and maggots come from meat. Today, people have become so dependent on technology that without it, civilization would be likely to decline. Without the use of phones and long distance calls, for instance, communication would be very difficult. Of course, we would still have our Internet and use of e-mails, but if we were to lose that, too, imagine how hard it would be to talk to a friend, or family member who lives more than three thousand miles away. After all, the mail man can only move so quick. Thus we can safely say that, if deprived of our technological benefits, the human race would surely be lost. We use technology in everyday parts of our lives, and, like a drug that is almost impossible to live without once you've become accustomed to its effects, it would be extremely difficult to let go of it. One example of where and when we use technology is in an English class. We are given a very interesting topic and told to write a three page essay about it. Like hungry rabbits, we hop to our computers, or laptops (a technological advancement that allows us to access the web, and zoom through other features our computers give us, when and wherever we wish), and begin to search through Google, Ref Works (if you are a student at USF), and/or others for information we need to begin our essay. Unable to find the essential information, we turn to our local libraries. Too lazy to spend much time searching for the book at the library, we log on to the libraries catalog and type in the topic in the search box. After a brief look-through through the list, we find what we are looking for. Quickly jotting down the book's name and location amongst the library's many shelves, we rush there in a brand new Honda  Civic (another technological advancement we weren't aware of that helps us get to said location that much quicker), grab the book, push through the waiting line, give the old lady at the front desk our card, watch her slide it through the computer—the sliding card being one other technological advancement—send her a rushed thank you, and speed through the red lights, an advancement in technology that is there to prevent you from possible car crash and fatal injury/death, until you reach home. Skimming through the book, we attain the required material, open up Microsoft Word on our computer, and begin to type our, hopefully, well-worded essay. The ability to type on a computer, and be automatically checked for mistakes is another form of technology we forget to be thankful for. It saves us time, and prevents the stupid mistakes we all make. An hour has passed, and we have written an almost perfect essay. Name and Date are typed neatly above, the essay is accurately double-spaced, and there are no silly spelling mistakes. It is now time to print. The printer—what a wonderful machine that saves us the time and pain of manually writing down our essay. The printing is done, and so are we. Had we walked to the library, spent countless hours looking through the numerous shelves for the right book, spent some more time waiting for the old lady to write down your order, walked back home, read the book, and wrote down the essay (keeping in mind that many pens, pencils, and paper would be discarded before we achieve perfection), we would have took quite a lone time. Do you not agree? Thus this is the importance of technology in our lives, and English classes: we simply cannot do without it.     
© Copyright 2007 QueenofSpades (crazynlazy46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220472-Importance-of-Technology-In-English