*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220948-Of-Love-and-Liberation
Rated: E · Preface · Romance/Love · #1220948
I just want some input here from some viewers so I can make changes.
Usually when I write something I keep it in a container under my bed so that no one will read it. Well if I want to be a writer I have to break that bad habit. I am shy and like most people I don't always take well to criticism. But if there is one thing I have learned on this site it's that criticism is the best friend I will have as a writer. I need it and quite frankly I want it. I am telling this because I want this story to be read by people, not by the dust bunnies under my bed. I want this to appeal to everyone and not just me. I have already started the outline of my story: 25 pages. It's difficult to read because of my style of writing so there really is no use of displaying it. The story is called Of Love and Liberation. The title was inspired by John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men which was one of the best books I ever read. The story was inspired by my eighth grade English teacher Amy Kalafut when she made us write a slave journal at the end of the school year. The story is set in the 1800s Louisiana. It's one of those forbidden love type of stories, but a bit more blunt. A slave woman (Mary) and a white man (John) fall in love over a period of time however they both feel guilty about it. The problems with that is both feel bad about their feelings with each other. This is because John's best friend was killed by Mary's brother, and in turn her brother was killed. She feels that it wasn't fair that her brother was killed. John feels anger at her brother which he takes out on Mary. They finally get over this issue, however when Mary plans to make a run for the North their love is sort of a problem. At the last minute John joins her on her journey, and that jeprodizes her chance at freedom. Throughout the journey she has doubts on whether or not she should love John, and John is struggling to cope with the fact that his best friend brought his death upon himself. The whole plot seems complicated. I just want to know if it's worth continuing on with or not. I need some guidance with this because the containers hidden under my bed are filling quickly with unread stories and it's time to clean them out.
Thanks for Reading,
Shyanne Elaine Miller
ShyElaMil
© Copyright 2007 Shyanne Elaine Miller (shyelamil at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220948-Of-Love-and-Liberation