*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220977-Confessions-of-a-TV-addict
Rated: 13+ · Article · Other · #1220977
An article inspired by a conversation with a friend.
I live in two worlds. In one world I hang out with the FRIENDS, feel the excitement and heartbreak of American Idols and Rockstars, enjoy the rapid fire dialogue of the Gilmore Girls, and revel in the drama of the OC. In the other world, I hang out with my friends who also watch FRIENDS, who revel in the lives of the characters of the OC, though I never met anyone as crazy about the Gilmore girls!

Situational comedies or sitcoms are my absolute favourite. After a long day at work and a load of homework nothing relaxes me more than Chandler’s witty sarcasm from ‘Friends’, or Lorelai’s obscure references for every situation from ‘Gilmore Girls’! The main attraction of sitcoms is that they are based on very real characters and the messes they get themselves in and out of. They are far from perfect, but are happy in life and face every situation with a smile and touch of humor. They serve as reminders to take life easy and not let anything get blown out of proportion.

Reality shows are all the rage on television right now. Every channel has its own show. From makeovers to singing competitions, from decorating homes to remodeling cars- there is something for everyone!! The most popular are the singing competitions like American Idol and Rockstar. I followed American idol from the initial hilarious auditions to the very exciting Grand Finale. In between I shared with their contestants their hopes, their triumphs and their losses. When my favorite singer got voted out I vowed never to see the show again, only to return the next week, with a new favorite. I never really got the concept of the Rockstar series though. The contestants try every stunt in the book to get them votes. I don’t know what you call it, but I say it’s selling out! Isn’t half the magic of being a rock star the struggle to get there? And I mean struggling to get record labels to hear you; creating something unique and different which reflects your soul. Back biting, bitching, singing songs which are of no credit to you, and taking a piggy back ride to success on already established greats (who, by the way, are marketing a comeback) isn’t struggle.

And last, but not the least, we have the drama soaps, each with their own set of husbands, wives, ex-husbands, ex-wives and long lost sons and daughters. The imperfect wife, with her imperfect household, never without a (fake) smile and Gucci bag to match her Calvin Klein jeans usually plays the victim. Secret affairs, miraculously cured illnesses, death and coming back to life- all barriers of science and logic are broken with perfect ease and naturalness. The characters are never aging and very possibly immortal. The cast is in perfect shape, in latest fashions, with their complicated love-lives and disastrous relationships. Honestly, Brooke, choose between Ridge, Nick and Eric for once and for all, and this time stick to it!

So when it is said that television has opened up a whole new world, I am in total agreement! For the perfect cure for a stressful day, for the perfect song for the moment, for the perfect dress for a perfect first date, here is the perfect solution! Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time for FRIENDS.
© Copyright 2007 June Afternoon (hangingout at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220977-Confessions-of-a-TV-addict