*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221772-Prologue-Chronicler-of-Yadout
by Deany
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1221772
The prologue to my book, the full version you can find if you look up Chronicler of Yadout
Prologue
The history of Yadout



Soon after the death of our great leader, Hudson the Great, the people of Yadout were quick to put a new leader on the throne. Quickly gaining favor on all four islands of our country, Amber soon ascended to the title of “Amber the Short” fourteenth leader of Yadout. They said a time of peace was upon us. So far, they have been wrong… whoever “They” are. Rumour has it, “They” are a group of people sitting around a table in extravagant clothing who decide different things.

Since Amber the Short got into power, it seems things have only been going down hill. War is now upon us, A small group of ogres, from the island of Wuwon have taken an interest in our lands, first however, a little geography lesson. Yadout is made up of four different small islands. The first island is the center of all happenings in Yadout.

This first island has on it the main castle that Amber is now staying in, feasts and great banquets are held here for important events and people. The banquet hall was in fact the same place where the third leader of Yadout, Weis the Unlucky died choking on a grape after only four days in power.

The second island is what we consider to be mainland. The largest of them all, this island is the main living place of all the people of Yadout. On this island there is almost one hundred houses, about three people live in each. After a recent census of the island we found that nine hundred eighty three people lived on this island. Soon after this discovery, we rethought how we should go about doing a census.

The third and fourth islands are relatively empty. The third island is used for farming and keeping livestock, very few livestock are actually on this island. About a dozen flamingoes live there, other than that chickens seem to be everywhere.

The fourth island is reserved for Yadout’s military which consists of only three people. My brother Tom, Rebecca, and Gordon very few times is any of them ever on the island, and all at once is rare as well because you always know where all three of them are. Tom is basically in charge of the other two, giving them orders and over all not doing a whole lot. He spends a majority of his time in the castle arguing with Amber. Rebecca is the spy, a … sometimes valuable asset. With all Yadout’s enemies too, we really needed a spy… okay we didn’t have any enemies at the time she gained the position. She can almost always be found at the market place in an area covered with pink fluffy things that doesn't actually sell anything. And finally Gordo, he is also the local blacksmith, not too much to say about Gordon. You can find him at his blacksmith shop almost all day working dawn until dusk on anything that needs to be done, but mostly stuff that doesn't.

There it is, you know all there is to know about Yadout, well actually there is more than that, but we’re moving on. Wuwon is one of our neighbouring countries; Zibwee is the our other neighbour. Wuwon is home to the ogre race and, they seemed like surprisingly nice people. Soon after Amber came into power, she allowed them to roam freely and unchecked in our lands. That included the castle, not the wisest move on Ambers part. Soon the ogres cleared the entire castle of us humans by an abnormal amount of convincing tales about trouble in the streets of Yadout.

Hurrying out of the castle we soon found those tales to be untrue, on returning to the castle the gate had been shut and the drawbridge up, the only possible way in. Truly angered at the ogres treachery, the people of Yadout banded together and created a real army and every able and willing person was given a sword and quickly trained in how to use one. Three people had been injured learning to spar properly but the rest are currently gathering in front of the castle waiting for the assault.

The signal for the assault is the entire army shouting, inside the castle is Rebecca ready and waiting to lower the gate, once the drawbridge is lowered the gate should be pushed open easily. Once inside however, we will have to use our skill of only a few days to out smart these barbaric ogres. Killing their leader is the key, if we can get him then we can drive the rest out back to sea where they have been arriving from.

Castle Yadout is a one story castle with a trap door at the back of the banquet hall leading down into a cave that acts as a personal sea port for any who know how to access it. Those who know how to access it are all of the leaders of Yadout, Amber, Tom, myself, Stuart and Chris. The Ogres, however have figured out how to open this door and now use it to get supplies and reinforcements in from the sea on the backs of giant sea turtles.

Stuart and Chris are currently to the north looking for a way to cut off the ogre supply lines. They left the day after the ogres took the castle, which was two weeks ago, and we haven't heard from them since. They left on two giant turtles to look for an island the ogres had mentioned they found a city of turtles. If they find them, they are to bring them to the island of Zibwee who will undoubtedly help us in our struggle against the ogre menace.

I hear three blasts from the trumpets, Ambers speech should start. Soon the battle will begin. I shall write more of this after the battle. Here's to hoping I survive.

The Chronicler of Yadout
Deany.
© Copyright 2007 Deany (deanyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221772-Prologue-Chronicler-of-Yadout