*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222141-Spirit-Riser-CHAPTER-ONE
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Children's · #1222141
BOOK ONE OF The Spirit Risers... Chapter One: We meet Lord Raven at the beginning.
Chapter One-

The  mist  rose  and  sank  in  waves  across  the  landscapes  of  Duskvelden.  There  was  a  harsh  chill  in  the  air  that  everything  could  feel.
      Trees  moaned,  animals  made  various  noises  of  protest  and  men,  women  and  children huddled  around  fires  in  their  little  wooden  hut  homes.  Their  teeth,  chattering  in  unison  with  the  melody  cast  off  by  the  wind.  Pulling  their  clothes  tight  to  their  bodies  to  trap  all  heat.
      Winter  really  had  set  in.
      White  blankets  of  snow  adorned  the  frozen  earth.  Reflecting  the  suns  rays  dazzling  people  whenever  they  looked  into  it.  But  the  snow  seemed  reluctant  to  reflect  any  ammount  of heat.  The  coming  night  was  definately  going  to  be  a  challenge.
      All  over  Duskvelden,  people  were  preparing  themselves  for  what  seemed  to  be  shaping  up  as,  the  coldest  night  of  the  season  so  far.  As  the  season  drew  nearer  and  nearer  to  Mid-Moon,  the  temperatures  began  to  plumit.
      Duskvelden  gave  a  shudder.  The  world  of  Duskvelden  was  like  no  other  (not  that  the  inhabitants  believed  that  anything  else  existed  in  the  un-chartered  waters  that  flowed  into  the  distance).  It  was  filled  with  amazing  objects  of  inteligence  and  beauty.  Mostly  handmade.  Flowers  and  trees  blossomed  in  Spring  and  they  lasted  until  late  in  the  Summer.  They  lasted weeks  past  Mid-Moon.
      Danger  had  filled  the  air  for  twelve  years.  A  civil  war  was ravaging  the  country  and  on  the  day  that  it  ended,  the  danger  lifted,  un-masking  the  air.  Today was that day.  It  had  ended  that  morning.  Although  the  cold  of  the  harsh  Duskvelden  was  enough  to  dampen  any  spirit's,  as  people  sat  in  the  freezing  cold  of  their  homes.  The  inhabitants  of  the  country  felt  the  tension  lift  away  and  float  away  with  the  wind.  Although  it  had  been  ended  for  almost  a day,  no  one  knew  who  won.  Wheter  it  was  The  Juji  -  the  countries  current  leaders  -  or  the  infamous  Raven.  Rumors  spread  along  the  breeze.  The  victor  of  the  war  would  become  the  leader  of  the  country.  It  was  one  of  the  terms  laid  down  at  the  beginning  of  the  war.
      All  that  the  people  of  Duskvelden  knew,  was  that  they  would  recieve  the  offical  announcement  the  next  day.  Usually,  according  to  ancient  Laws  and  Decree's  of  Duskvelden,  offical  documents  would  be  sent  and  every  citizen  would  have  to sign  to  show  that  they  acknowlege  their  leader.
      Little  did  anyone  know,  that  on  the  borders  of  the  Crag,  were  the  one-hundred  former  Juji  and a further  one-hundred  and  fifty  soldiers.  The  prisoners  were  lined  in  single-file  and  were  awaiting  their  punishment.  They were  to  be  executed  at  the  Crag.
      Duskvelden,  like  all  other  countries  is  split  into  sections.  Often  called  states  or  counties.  The  Crag  was  the  most  infamous  of  all these.  There  were  nine  of  these.  They  were:  The  Crag,  Divakin,  Dovaka,  Varix,  Jok,  Noith  Bid,  Divosa,  Saranol  and  Divina.  All  were  inhabited  apart  from  The  Crag  and  this  was  for  one  reason.  The  Krax.  A  waxy  substance  that  makes  up  the  earth  there.  It  consumes  everything  to  touch  it.  That  is  why,  in  Duskvelden,  you  can  either  be  executed  by  decapitation,  hanging  or  The  Krax.
      Depending  on  how  serious  the  crime,  these  punishements  were  dealt.  Often,  the  most  shocking  and  terrible  crimes  warranted  the  use  of  The  Krax.  It  proved  a  slow  and  painful  death.
      Today,  the  Krax  was  nearly  frozen  solid  by  winter's  powers.  Soldiers  not  laden  with  the  burden  of  a  prisoner  or  serving  The  Raven  and  his  second  in  command  were  hard  at  work  preparing  the  Krax  for  the  executions.  They  were  laying  large  wooden  planks  down  and soaking  them  with  Lufa.  An  extremely  flamable  liquid.  Once  poured  from  the  container,  the  soldiers  had  to  be  quick  and  set  light  too  it  before  it  froze.  Lighting  flints  proved  useful  in  aiding  this.  In  just  an  hour,  the  Krax  would  be  a  bubbling  liquid.  Its  hunger  overtaking  it  and  demanding  the  prisoners.  Then,  all  one-hundred  prisoners  would  be  dead.
      Everything  that  the  Raven  had  planned  was  working.  The  sound  of  drums  filled  the  evening  air.  The night ahead would  be  cold  and  the  soldiers  would  have  to  be  persistant.  Luckily  for  them,  they  were  wearing  their  winter  clothes.  Unluckily  for  the  prisoners,  they  weren't.  They  had  been stripped  down  to  just  their  underwear.  The  cold  rocketed  through  their  bodies.  They  had  no  fear.  It  was  all  gone.  The  war  had  secretly  been  over  for  two-months.  The  fighting  seen  was  just  mock  fighting.  The  Raven  had  won  and  he  had  held  the  Juji  captive  in  prison  where  they  were  tortured  every  hour  on  the  hour  for  half-an-hour.  The  pain  that  they  endured  was excrutiating.
      Their  nails  cut  away  from  their  fingers  and  toes,  needles  embedded  deep  in  their  skin  with  no  way  of  escape.  Rats  living  with  them  often  biting  off part of  their  body.  Slices  of  their  skin,  carved  with  large  blades  and  then  fed  to  them.  Whipping,  slashing  and  the  Rack  were also  painful  methods  of  torture.
      The  Raven  seemed  to  enjoy  seeing  their  pain.  He  would  watch  all  of  it  and  he  liked  it.  He  would  shout  taunts  at  them  telling  them  that  they  were  useless  leaders  with  their  peace  approach  and  were  to  be  punished  for  this.
      The  clothes  that  the  soldiers  had  been  waring  were  now  to  be  recycled  and  handed  to  new  prisoners  as  they  entered  the  world  of  torture  and  punishment.
      Afer  all  that  torture,  many  welcomed  the  coming  death  which  would  reach  for  them.  The  Krax  continued  to  become  thinner  as  it  defrosted.  One  of  the  soldiers  stuck  in  his  sword  and  nearly  lost  it  as  it  began  to  claim the silver  blade.
      "I  think  that  the  Krax  is  nearly  ready"  he  announced  to  his  leader.
      "Very  good."  replied  the  mysterious  Raven.  No  emotion  in  his  eyes.  Not  even  a  flicker  of  pride.  He  thought  too  much  of  himself  that  all  emotion  he  ever  had  when  he  was  not  evil  was  gone.
      Still  the  soldiers  continued  to  warm  the  Krax.  The  Raven  wanted  to  make  sure  that  the  history  of  Duskvelden  was  forgotten.  The  future  was  what  was  about  to  take  the  country.
      The  Raven  flashed  back  to  twelve  years  before  and  though  about  how  Duskvelden  had  been. 
      Before  the  civil  war,  Duskvelden  had  been  the  beauty  of  paradise.  Flowers  clung  to  the  earth,  people  roamed  free.  Sometimes  even  becoming  constant  travellers  of  the  land.  These  people  were  called  Wanderer's.
      How  he  had  loathed  the  way  Duskvelden  had  been  molded  over  the  centuries.  It  was  nowhere  near  how  he  wanted  it.  The  war  had  ravaged  the  lands  and  now,  it  was  closer  to  how  he  wanted  Duskvelden  to  be.  Of  course,  he  knew  that  in  reality,  people  would  return  to  how  life  had  been  before,  and  the  land  would  look  somewhat  like  it  did  twelve  years  before.  But  there  would  be  changes.  Many changes.  All  stored  inside  the  Ravens  cranium.  It  was  all  planned.  He  hadn't  spent  the  three  years  before  the  war  in  hiding  for  nothing.  He  had  been  plotting  and  planning.  He'd  been  working  for  fifteen  years  to  take  over  and  control  Duskvelden  and  he had  succeded. 
      The  drums  stopped  and  the  Raven  was  yanked  back  into  the  harsh  reality  of  life.  The  executions  were  about  to  begin  and  it  was  time  for  the  Raven  to  give  his  speach  to  the  prisoners.
      "My  fellow  Rebels.  We  have  overthrown  the  Duskvelden  Government  and  it  is  time  for  changes.  No  longer  will  Duskvelden  be  ruled  with  compation  and  loyalty.  I  am  a  man  of  deciet  and  I  enjoy  the  good  lie  and  the  fact  that  from  tomorrow,  I  will  be  the  rightful  leader  of  this  country.  I  have  waited  two-hundred  years  since  you  took  the  thrown  from  my  family  and  now,  I have  it  back...  I  am  middle-aged  and  at  two-hundred  and  thirty  years  old,  I intend  to  make  the  most  of  my  time.
      " Taxes.  An  amazing  word.  Taxes  on  everything.  Not  just  on  homes  like  you  simpletons  planned.  You  were  useless  rulers.  You  brought  shame  upon  Duskvelden  and  you  know  it.  It  cannot  go  unpunished.  That  is  why  we  are  here  today.  You  are  going  to  learn  the  meaning  of  good  leadership.  As  you  die...  ponder  this....  I  learnt  of  your  silly  prophecy.  And  when  I find  those  of  which  it  speaks,  they  will  cower,  and  your  spirits  will  be  in  a  state  of  limbo,  as  I  define  my  world.  No-one  can  stop  me.  Now,  away  with  you.  And don't  forget... PONDER!"
      The  first  ten  of  the  prisoners  were  thrust  deep  into  a  patch  of  the  Krax.  The  Krax  was  hotter  than  usual  as  it  had  to  be  melted.  The  searing  pain  rippled  through  their  flesh,  and  their  bones  turned  to  jelly  inside  their  bodies.  Yelps  and  screams  of  pain  filled  the  air  while  the  Raven  still  kept  calling.  "Ponder,  ponder".
      The  execution  continued  until  the  final  ten  of  the  one-hundred  ex-leaders  of  Duskvelden  were  buried  deep  in  the  Krax.  In the  last  moments  of  life,  suffocating... They  pondered  what  the  Raven  had  said.  Their  only  hope  was  The  Shaman.  They  had  to  pray  that  he  sought  the  six  and  awoken  them  to  their  powers.
      The  Raven  traveled  by  horse  back  to  Divakin  where  he  would  make  the  official  announcement  that  he  was  now  the  leader  of  the  land  of  Duskvelden.  He  had  plans.  Plans  of  such  importance  that  he  would  put  them  in  place  almost  automatically.  The  world  was  about  to  change,  and  not  for  the  best...
© Copyright 2007 Ryan Lansley Woods (spiritriser at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222141-Spirit-Riser-CHAPTER-ONE