*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223521-Cement-Bonded-fiberboard
Rated: E · Thesis · Research · #1223521
My thesis about fiber boards
ABSTRACT

         This study investigates the physical and mechanical properties of cement-bonded fiberboard mixed with coir fiber & perlite. It is conducted using the standard testing methods & procedures for fiberboard as carried out by the Forest Product Research & Development Institute (FPRDI). These tests include Modulus of Rupture, Nail Head Pull Through, Thickness swelling and Water Absorption.
         The sizes of the specimen for testing used were 5x23 cm for MOR, 5x10 cm for NHPT, and 5x5 cm for TS & WA. Varying perlite content with three cement/material ratio were analyzed and test results were compared with the minimum criteria for high-density fiberboard. 10%, 30% and 50% are the perlite content on each cement/material ratio, the 60/40, 70/30 and 80/20. The specimens were tested after 28 days curing period. Water content is 80% of cement and 3% of cement for calcium chloride.
         Based on the results, three (3) out of nine (9) mix designs passed the criteria set by Philippine Standard Association for Fiberboard. These are 30% and 50% perlite content with 70/30 cement/material ratio and 30% perlite content with 80/20 cement/material ratio. The 30% perlite content in 70/30 cement material/ratio manifest the highest value with 69.6 kg/cm² for MOR, 164.83 for NHPT,24.59% for WA respectively. Sample with 70/30 cement material/ratio and 50% pelite content marked the highest value in TS with 1.14%.

STATEMENT OF THE OBJECTIVES

         Generally, the researchers aim to evaluate the performance of cement bonded-fiberboard mixed with coir fiber and Perlite. Specifically, this study aims to determine the following:
1.)          The physical and mechanical properties of Cement-Bonded Fiberboard mixed with Coir fiber and Perlite.
2.)          The suitable proportion of Coir fiber and Perlite for Cement-Bonded Fiberboard.
3.)          The effect of Coir fiber and Perlite content on Cement-Bonded Fiberboard.

SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY

         The extent of this research was confined with the evaluation of the performance of Cement Bonded-Fiberboard (CBFB) mixed with Coir fiber and Perlite in terms of its properties.
         The standard test method based on the Philippine Standard for Fiberboard was adapted to evaluate the physical and mechanical properties of the board.
         Thickness Swelling (TS) and Water Absorption (WA) tests determined the physical properties of the fiberboard while Modulus of Rupture (MOR) and Nail Head Pull-Through (NHPT) tests characterized its mechanical properties.
         This research study includes the production of 12-mm thick Cement Bonded Fiberboard cut into required dimensions for testing following the standard test methods.

The Cement-bonded boards proved to be suitable because of its durability and low production cost. Cement-bonded fiber boards mixed with perlite and coir fiber has comparable physical and mechanical properties as to other boards. The fibers bound well together and fit into the interlaced crystals of hardened cement.

CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION

Based from the analysis of the physical properties, both 60:40 and 70:30 boards generally have satisfactory results except for the 80:20 boards. However, 70:30 boards are more physically stable because of its lower percent in thickness swelling and water absorption than 60:40 boards.

After a series of tests to determine the mechanical strength of the boards, boards with a ratio of 60:40 are relatively stronger than the boards with 70:30 and 80:20 ratios. Due to the limitation of the study, the researcher recommends to consider other variables that can contribute to the physical and mechanical properties of the boards. Curing periods of each board must be sufficient enough to have good quality of boards. Water must be well controlled since hydration dependent on this. Better techniques and methods should be initiated in order to lead other construction manufacturers improve and adopt the production of cement-bended fiber board mixed with coir fiber and perlite.



© Copyright 2007 annethony™ passeddboardexams (annethony at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223521-Cement-Bonded-fiberboard