*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1224807-All-the-kings-horses
by Kessa
Rated: E · Sample · Fantasy · #1224807
Jin doesn't know where she came from or why she's the only human among elves.
         Jin sat cross-legged on the front porch of Elona’s home. Facing the street, she watched the elves carrying food from the market or chatting with neighbors. The leisurely pace at which everything moved entranced her. No one rushed past. If someone greeted them, they always paused for at least a few words before continuing on. This affected even the children, though it seemed to take a few years to set in. The little ones darted around their elders’ legs, playing much the same way as human children, but the older ones gathered in small groups and talked or played quieter games.
         Though she was a stranger, and not even elven, not one person to pass her failed to offer at least a nod of acknowledgment, sometimes even a smile.
         Jin murmured hellos and returned the smiles. She found herself a little resentful of the very peacefulness of the place, though she had no idea why. She did know Elona would tell her it was just her human nature reasserting itself. After all, her shorter lifespan demanded she live at a faster pace.
         But it felt was more than that.
         Her splintered memory offered her glimpses of the past. There was a home. People who cared for her. Among those were a few men. Was one hers? A husband? And children. She remembered many children. Were any hers? What did they think happened to her? Were they searching for her? Did they think her dead?
         “Come inside if you are going to make such faces. You will frighten the children.”
         Jin glanced up at the source of the voice and chuckled softly. “My thoughts had turned a bit morbid.”
         Elona hummed, her eyes dancing with mirth. “That I could see.” She settled herself next to her guest, long limbs folding gracefully beneath her silken gown. “Perhaps if you share these thoughts they will not weigh your smile down so.”
Jin sighed, reluctant now, to bring her worries to light. As if they could some how disturb the gentle scene around her.
         Stalling a moment more, she started to smooth her own gown, but stopped when her rough hands caught on the delicate fabric. Another reminder that this was not her world.
         Her world. Somehow that thought seemed to carry beyond the elves and their forest to encompass all of Kerthrin.
         That was ridiculous. What other world was there?
         “Such heavy thoughts. They pull at your mouth so much your forehead is beginning to fold.” The elf woman nodded. “You must let them out before your whole face collapses.”
         Jin barked a laugh harsh enough to cause a couple across the street to glance her way in surprise. “Ai. You are relentless.”
         Elona only continued to smile.
         “I was thinking of what few things I do remember. Of how I may remember faces, yet I do not have names to put with them. What of the people in my life? Where do they think I am? Have they searched?” Jin turned her body to fully face her hostess. “Do I live near here? If not, why did I leave home? What was I doing before the Ainsman? Who was I then?” She stopped, realizing her voice had begun to raise. The couple across the street were not the only ones staring now. She blushed and ducked her head, studying her dress. She was aware of Elona waving to her neighbors, assuring them all was well.
         There was a moment of quiet before the elven woman spoke.
         “Even among the Aelwon, these things take time. Of course, the Aelwon have more patience in that matter.”
         Jin glared up through her eyebrows.
         The healer laughed softly. “I apologize. What I am telling you is that you cannot rush this. I understand it is frustrating. I, myself, cannot imagine losing my identity, let alone not remembering any of those I love. Yet, I want you to keep in mind that you are not alone at this time. You may have lost your old friends for a time, but now you have new ones. Riva and Joban come everyday to visit you.  Bourey and I would also like to add ourselves to that list. However much they miss you now, Jin, they will be that much happier upon your return” Elona leaned forward and took both of Jin’s hands in her own. “You will return to your people. You must believe this.”
         Shaking her head, Jin’s smile returned, though lopsided. “I am pleased one of us is so certain.”
         Elona got to her feet and pulled her patient along. “It will be two when Bourey returns.” She led Jin into the house and sat her on one of the large cushions in the main room. “When Riva and Joban come tomorrow, as they are certain to do, there will be four.”
         “Oh, well. I would hate to be left out, I have until tomorrow to change my tune, then.” The young human rolled her eyes as she gazed back out the window.
         Elona halted midway to the kitchen, “What an odd comment. To change your tune. As if you were playing an instrument or singing. Why did you say that?”
         Jin frowned. “I do not know. It was just there.” She huffed out a breath. “So many pieces.” I am like a shattered egg. Even with the pieces, impossible to repair. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men.
         “I wonder sometimes, if humans have as many unpleasant expressions as we have words for green.” The elf woman stood before her friend, an eyebrow raised in amusement.
         “If I remember correctly, you have over a two hundred words for green.”
         “Yes, well there are so many shades.” Sinking into a cushion, herself, Elona’s voice became serious. “What were you thinking just now?”
         “I thought of how I am not unlike a broken egg. Should you manage to find all the pieces, you would never be able to make it whole again. And then, ‘All the king’s horses and all the king’s men’ came into my head. Sounds like a poem, but I remember no more.”
         A warm smile spread over Elona’s face. “This is wonderful. Two new pieces come unbidden to your mind. I believe you will be remembering much more, and more quickly than you imagine.”
© Copyright 2007 Kessa (kestrel78 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1224807-All-the-kings-horses