*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228467-This-is-the-story-of-the-stone-lantern
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1228467
My daughters favorite story
One day I decided that a stone lantern would look nice in my back yard. Things mean so much more if you learn about who made them and why. It works this way because the "thing" is just that, a thing. It's the heart of the matter that's important. I wanted to know more about stone lanterns so I read how the Chinese and Japanese use them. In China the lantern is not typically made of stone but paper. A very long time ago Chinese used lanterns made of metal to light paths or to communicate with each other over long distances. People began making them out of paper and used them to announce births, deaths and other important occasions. Today the Chinese lantern symbolizes long life and good luck.

The Japanese people adopted the idea of the lantern from the Chinese, but made them from stone and used them in their gardens. Eventually the stone lantern was a way to respect the wise teachings of "Buddha". Stone lanterns have a place where a candle, lamp or even an electric light can shine. There are different styles of Japanese stone lanterns that are used in special areas. There is a style used near rivers, ponds, gardens and many other places. The men and women who make them take great pride in how they carve the stone. No mater if the lantern is Chinese or Japanese I find them all beautiful. Because I think so I wanted to respect the idea of the lantern and the cultures that made them. 

After I had the basic ideas of what the lanterns mean I was ready to buy one. I took a trip to a store not too far away from where I live. I have always admired the things they had on display outside the shop. There were stone bridges, statues of animals and of course, stone lanterns. It was a hot sunny day and they all gleamed in the sun. As I walked around all the beautiful things I read the price tags. Even the smallest lanterns displayed were too expensive. Well you may know how your dad isn’t too picky if he can get something he can’t otherwise afford.  I decided to talk with the owner and see what I could get for what money I had.

I walked into the building and what I saw and heard took my breath away. There was music playing. I heard sounds and couldn’t imagine the instruments that made them. There was a song with it too but it was in a language I didn’t understand. A very large TV caught my eye and it showed the ladies who were singing. All had white skin, dark black hair and held colorful umbrellas. The music filled the whole building and it was pretty big. I saw shelves too. Rows and rows of shelves higher than I am tall and they were filled with beautiful bowls, statues and vases. Most all had red and gold colors on them. The sun that came through the windows made them shine.

I stood there for a long time just soaking up everything I saw; I didn’t even see the man who walked out to greet me. He was short with black hair and plump. He wore a black suit with a black tie. His tie had painted figures on it that looked like the paintings on the pretty things on the shelves. We shook hands and he bowed. There was something about him that made me feel good. It may have been his quiet, patient way of listening to what I had to ask. I don’t think many people have the patience to listen to what people are saying. He did.

I told him I wanted a stone lantern and that I wanted to respect the meaning of what it meant to have one. I told him where I would put it and what would be nearby. I also asked him if he would tell me if I was displaying the lantern incorrectly or doing something that wasn’t appropriate to the culture that made them. I told him what I had read and looked to see if he agreed with what I had learned. If I had said something wrong he didn’t say so. I could tell he was thinking. I was quiet and waited for him to speak next. He asked me to follow him and he would show what he had.

The next thing that happened impressed me too. As we came to the door he took out an umbrella and when we walked outside he held it over us. It was hot and sunny out, remember? Well it was much cooler under his umbrella. I wondered if he was doing it for himself, me or the both of us. Once I bent down to look at a short stone lantern and he moved the umbrella so it would shade me and not him.  I felt completely at ease and I felt myself slow down in thought and movement and it was very relaxing. I also felt ashamed that this man was doing all this for me and I had little to offer him.

Eventually I told him how much I had to pay for one and asked if he had any damaged or broken ones that I could afford. I felt incredibly silly. He still held his umbrella for me. He smiled and told me about a lantern he had for decoration in his parking lot. It was concrete. "Is that ok?” he asked. “Yes, sure.” I said. He added that it had been run into and was broken and asked if I would like to have it for free. He was going to throw it away. “That’s fine with me.” He led me to the broken lantern holding his umbrella over us all the way. It had one broken leg and was missing it’s top. He told me that in China people use flat bricks for roofs and placed small bronze or stone animals on top. “Can I give you something for your trouble? How about $20.”, I asked.  He said no.

We talked about our families and I told him about you and your brother. He told me he went back and forth between United Sates and China. His family lived in China and everything he had to sell was from China. Eventually we said our goodbyes, shook hands, he bowed and I bowed back. When I got home I placed my new lantern where I could see it from the kitchen window and admire it. The first night after it was finished I noticed it glowed. I had accidentally placed it in a spot where the street light could shine on it and not very much of anything else. I like to think that wise Buddha is sharing his light for my lantern.

The lantern reminds me to take life slow, not to rush, be patient and respect people. I put some of the small river rocks on the lantern that you and I collected and so it also reminds me of you. There’s just one thing.

“What’s that dad?”

“Our dog Cade "relieves" himself on the lantern when I let him out.”


My daughter visits me every other weekend. On one such visit my mother was with us too. I heard the two talking in the kitchen as I was busy with something in the front room. When I came into the kitchen later I saw the two of them through the window hosing off the lantern with a very dejected looking dog standing nearby. I don’t ever want to forget that.

© Copyright 2007 Zooterman (naturalist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228467-This-is-the-story-of-the-stone-lantern