*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228497-A-Reply-To-Steve-Jobs-Thoughts-On-Music
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Music · #1228497
A response to Steve Jobs' letter to the music industry & the RIAA regarding DRM.
(Address Withheld)
February 17, 2007

Mr. Steve Jobs
Chief Executive Officer
Apple
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014

Dear Mr. Jobs:

I am writing you in thank you for your open letter ( {Link=http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/} ) dated February 6, 2007 to the music industry. Your letter is the first step in the eventual elimination digital rights management (DRM) restrictions and the changing the future of digital music. With your influence, one day the dream of DRM-free digital music may come true.

Throughout the tenure of your return as CEO of Apple in 1997, your influence upon the media industry has gone without question. The iPod outsells all other digital media players on the market, you have a seat on the board of directors at Disney, and the iPhone to be released later this year was the biggest item talked about last month – not only at MacWorld, but the Consumer Electronics Expo as well. It’s no question that whenever you speak, the market listens.

As you had stated in your article on Apple.com, it really does not make any sense that DRM exists, and I for one agree that DRM should be abolished. At the moment, DRM is one of the few reasons I do not purchase music for my iPod from the iTunes music store. To reiterate what you said, I am among the users whose iPod contains mostly music not obtained from the iTunes store. In general, the only songs I do get from the iTunes store because of DRM are podcasts, the Single of the Week, or other free offerings.

So once again, Mr. Jobs, thank you. Like you, I, as well as many others in the world, who listen to music using digital media players, cannot wait for the day that the music companies drop digital rights management. It takes influence from people so prominent in the industry such as you. Because of that, I applaud your courage to stand up against the music industry for those who want to have a voice, but do not have the influence.

Sincerely,




Justin E. Miller
© Copyright 2007 JustinMiller87 (justinmiller87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228497-A-Reply-To-Steve-Jobs-Thoughts-On-Music