*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228790-Written-in-the-Stars
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · LGBTQ+ · #1228790
I'm trying to get a story ready for submission. Please help me proof reading/rating
(Corrections made based on comments received so far. Thank you very much for your time and help.)

                                        Written in the Stars

Chapter One


    Huddled together around the central hearth, the people listen as their great and honored Spirit Master Black Hawk told them the story of the "Starchild". According to the legend, this promised one would be born to the people. This child would have great powers and would become the savior of all the people. This was the third harsh winter in a row that the tribe had suffered. Several of the older and weaker members of the tribe had already passed into the spirit world. Many more suffered from hunger and sickness. It was a time of deep sadness for the whole tribe. The legend of the Starchild helped to remind them that better days were ahead.
    "The Starchild will have eyes the color of the mid-day sky, so deep and intense as to be able to hypnotize all who see them. He will be a mighty hunter and bring much meat to the people. The ancients also say that he will be blessed with the mark of the third eye and become our peoples most powerful and honored Spirit Master. He will lead us into a new world and teach our people a better way of life," Black Hawk said.
    "Master, how will we know him when he comes?" one boy asked.
    "Ah… he will be born under the full moon as the wolf howls," the old man answered cryptically.
    As the hour grew late, the children were sent off to their beds. Only a handful of men were left sitting around the fire. The village Chieftain was there, his name was Howling Moon and he was the son of Black Hawk. "All of my life I have heard you tell the prophecy of the Starchild. Do you truly believe that he will come someday?" Howling Moon asked.   
    "The spirits have promised that they will send the people a savior to lead us into a new dawn. When he will come though…I can not say," Black Hawk answered.
    Spring came late that season, causing even more deaths among the people. Eventually the snows melted and life began to return to normal. While the men of the tribe were busy hunting and fishing, many of their wives were busy giving birth. The tribe had lost too many of its members over the last three seasons. They needed the birth of new children to make their people strong again.
    It was considered unlucky for a man to be present while a woman was giving birth. It was believed that the child's spirit could steal the man's strength, sapping him of his powers as the baby was being born. For that reason, only the Spirit Master was thought to be strong enough to endure this type of spiritual attack on his powers. Even so, Black Hawk did not usually attend to the women in the birthing hut. It was the task of the old root woman, Spotted Fawn, to deliver the tribe’s children.
    Black Hawk sat by the fire gazing up at the night sky. Beside him sat Stone, the mate of Black Hawk's daughter Spring Flower. Spring Flower's cries echoed across the village as she struggled to give birth to their first child. It had been a difficult pregnancy for her almost from the start. More than once the thought occurred that she might lose the child during the long winter's starving months but somehow the baby had managed to hold on. Now the child was fighting to be born.
    A lone wolf howled in the distance as the full moon rose in the night sky. Spring Flowers anguished cries finally ceased. A moment of tense silence filled the village. An infant's wail drifted on the evening breeze from the birthing hut. Moments later Spotted Fawn emerged from the hut carrying the child wrapped in her arms. She walked towards the fire and was greeted by Stone. "You have a daughter," the old woman said. She uncovered the child to allow Stone to see her.
    Stone took the little girl and looked down into her tiny face. "Spring Flower?" he asked.
    "She is well. She rests now," Spotted Fawn answered. Black Hawk walked over to get a closer look at his newest granddaughter. The infant stirred in her father's arms and opened her eyes. Stone gasped in shock as his brown eyes met blue ones. Black Hawk and Spotted Fawn looked at each other and then back at the infant.
    "Here, give me the child," Black Hawk said. Stone handed his daughter to the Spirit Master. Black Hawk gently brushed aside the baby's thick black hair to expose her forehead. "She has the mark of the third eye!" he exclaimed in an excited whisper. A hush fell over the crowd around them as once again the wolf howled in the distance.
    "Can it be?" Spotted Fawn asked.
    "The Starchild, The Starchild has come!" Long Spear called out excitedly.
    The people began to push closer, trying to get a glimpse of the child. "Get back all of you! Do you want to hurt the infant?" Black Hawk roared. He handed the baby back to Spotted Fawn and told her to return the child to her mother. "I must consult the spirits. Stone go to Howling Moon and tell him I will speak to him and the other men about the child in the morning," Black Hawk said. The old man shut himself up inside his spirit hut and prayed for guidance and answers to his many questions.
    Rumors quickly spread across the village like a wild fire. Everyone wanted to know about the baby. It was said she had eyes of blue and bore the mark of the third eye. This was a sign of great mystical power. Could this be the long prayed for promised one? Could the infant be the Starchild? Many debated the likelihood that Stone's child could be the Starchild. The most offered argument was the fact that the child was female. The legend told of the Starchild's abilities as a hunter and warrior. Surely, this meant that the child must be a boy. There had never been a female hunter among the people, not in this tribe or any other that they had ever encountered.
    When morning came, all the tribe's men gathered together to listen as Black Hawk revealed his revelations about the child. Black Hawk had the infant brought in so he could show the Chieftain and other assembled men that she did in fact bear the mark of the third eye as well as having blue eyes herself. Another birthmark was on the baby's left shoulder. It was in the shape of a wolf howling at the moon. Traditionally, when a Spirit Master has completed his training and assumes his role, he is tattooed with the marking of his position. The tattoo was that of a wolf howling at the moon. It symbolized the wearer's ability to communicate with the spirits. The baby was born with the Spirit Master's mark already given to her by the gods. There was no disputing it as far as Black Hawk was concerned. This was the long awaited promised one who would one day save their people. Stone and Spring Flower named the girl Summer Rain.
    As a baby, Summer was the topic of a lot of conversations. As a toddler, she was a source of great joy to her family. When she was four winters old, Black Hawk began to train the girl. Summer Rain, like most four-year-olds was curious and full of energy. She loved going for walks with her grandfather. He would tell the girl stories and teach her about different plants and animals. Summer thought it was wonderful that she got to spend so much time with the Spirit Master and looked forward each day to see what new adventure he had in store for her.
    As a small child, Summer showed no unusual powers. She was in many ways like all the other children her age in her attitudes and behaviors. Even so many of the villagers were leery of the girl. They feared the powers that she would develop and kept their own children away from her. Because of this, Summer Rain was often lonely. She did not understand why the people seemed to fear her. All she knew was that she was different from everyone else somehow.
    When Summer Rain turned six, she joined the other young boys her age in their training as hunters. At first, it was difficult for her. The boys treated her differently because she was a girl. The girls treated her differently because she spent most of her time doing things with the boys. She felt trapped between two worlds, not truly a part of either one.
    Summer spent her days training to hunt, track and fight along with the boys. In the afternoons, she would study with either Black Hawk or Spotted Fawn. Spring Flower tried to teach her daughter to cook, sew and do all the countless chores a woman of the tribe had to perform. Summer Rain showed little interest in these things though. She seemed to prefer to be out in the forest or playing alone down by the river. She thought of the animals as her friends and tried not to let it show how hurt she felt by the other children's taunts.
    Even when the tribe would travel to the yearly gathering in the fall, Summer would find herself surrounded by adults who were constantly questioning her and children who wanted nothing to do with her. Each year Black Hawk would take the girl before the Council of Mystics at the gathering. They debated back and forth whether she was or wasn’t the promised one. Many strongly believed that she was the long awaited for Starchild. Others could not accept the idea that the Starchild could be born as a girl child. No woman had ever held power over the spirits before. Women did not hunt. They did not fight. How could a girl possibly be strong enough to change the fate of the people?
    It wasn't until she was nine-years-old that things began to change for Summer. Spring Flower had taken the girl along with her and the other women to pick berries. Summer Rain quickly tired of this and wondered off a short distance to be alone. Her father Stone had just made her a new bow and Summer was anxious to try it out. Summer was following a rabbit's track into the brush when something inside her warned the girl to turn around. Slowly Summer turned and as she did she saw a mountain lion perched on top a rock overhang ready to leap. The lion hissed in anger and launched itself towards a young girl collecting berries below.
    Summer reached into her quiver and pulled out two arrows. She drew back her bowstring and shot the small arrows into the lion's chest as it jumped. The girl below screamed, the lion roared and Summer snatched up her spear as she ran towards the animal. The men in the village heard the screams and quickly ran to see what was happening. Summer pulled Luna up to her feet and stood protectively between the girl and the enraged mountain lion. She was ready to thrust her small spear into the animal when something stopped her. "Kill it quickly!" Stone yelled to his daughter as he came into sight.
    Summer gazed at the lion for several long breathless seconds. The lion stopped growling and sat down to look back at the girl. Slowly Summer lowered her spear and stepped forward to touch the lion's fur. Surprisingly the animal did not attack. "Luna go and join the others…slowly," Summer said. Carefully Luna inched her way around until she was out of the lion's sight then she ran to her father, the Chief.
    The Starchild knelt down and reached out to pet the lion's shoulder with one hand as she examined its injuries with the other. She spoke in soft whispers reassuring the lion that it would be okay as she removed the arrows from its chest. Black Hawk stepped closer to get a better view of what Summer was doing. Summer Rain's right hand began to glow softly as she placed it against the lion's wounds. She closed her eyes and prayed to the spirits. When she removed her hand. the injuries were completely healed. A moment later, two small lion cubs scampered out from the bushes to join their mother. Together the three lions turned and walked away.
  The people stood transfixed, unable to speak. Black Hawk looked at his son. Howling Moon was protectively holding his eldest daughter Luna by his side but he was looking at Summer Rain. "She truly is the Starchild. Who else could possess such command over a wild beast?" Black Hawk asked.
    While Black Hawk was thrilled to have been proven right, the others were shocked and afraid by what they had just seen. Spring Flower moved to stand beside her husband Stone. Stone put his arm around his wife and looked down into her eyes. They had each secretly hoped that the Spirit Master had been wrong about their daughter. They wanted her to have a normal life, to be like all the other girls. They knew now that Black Hawk was right about her. They would have to let Summer follow her destiny wherever that might lead her.
    When they were alone Black Hawk asked Summer why she had chose not to kill the lion. Summer simply shrugged and said there was no reason to. Everyone treated Summer Rain differently after that day. The boys thought what she had done was really brave. The girls thought the whole thing was very scary. The adults were all overwhelmed by the display of Summer's spiritual powers. Even Black Hawk was not prepared for what he saw that day. As for Luna, well all she saw was Summer risking her life to protect her. To Luna, Summer was her hero. Summer began to feel a little less lonely after that. Besides impressing her young hunt brothers, she had made a friend in the Chief's daughter Luna.


Five Years Later…


    Luna sat in the village circle trying to concentrate on her weaving. Several of the other women had taken their work outside to enjoy the warm summer day. Luna glanced up at the sky then back across the clearing again.
    "Relax, she'll show up," Sparrow said reassuringly.
    Luna blushed and asked, "Am I that obvious?"
    "Only to anyone with eyes," Sparrow laughed.
    Luna set her weaving aside and stretched her long legs out in front of herself. "It's getting late. She's usually back by now," Luna complained. Sparrow tried not to giggle at the expression on her friend's face.
    "Maybe she stayed late to talk to Black Hawk. You know they are forever huddled together talking about spirits, plants or rituals," Sparrow said.
    "Maybe. She does spend a lot of time in private lessons with him. She's going to make a wonderful Spirit Master for our people one day," Luna said with pride evident in her voice.
    "Well here comes the future Spirit Master now," Sparrow said. Luna looked up the path and smiled broadly, as Summer Rain came into view.
    At the age of fourteen Summer had yet to develop any of the soft curves that the other girls her age had to their figures. Instead, she had the hard lean body of an athlete.  Summer was tall for a woman, with long strong legs and sculpted muscles. She wore buckskin trousers and a fringed vest that laced up the front. Summer usually wore a headband that covered the birthmark on her forehead. She had dark brown hair that hung in a tight braid between her shoulder blades and her eyes were the color of the mid day sky on a clear spring day. To Luna, Summer Rain was the most incredibly beautiful person she ever laid eyes on. She loved the way Summer's muscles looked across her stomach and in her arms, so firm like they were sculpted out of stone. None of the other girls their age had muscles like that.
    Summer Rain walked slowly towards the village circle. She was lost in thought as she considered the words of her grandfather. Black Hawk had been preparing the young men of the tribe for the spiritual part of their initiation as full hunters of the tribe. It was the last test before their ascent into adulthood. This season's ceremony was going to be a bit different than usual though. Summer Rain would be made the first female hunter of the people. Summer was beginning to feel the weight of everyone's expectations on her shoulders. She was the Starchild and therefore this ceremony was expected to be a big deal.  What would the Starchild's vision quest be like? What if the spirits didn't grant her a vision?
    "Summer…Summer," Luna called as she hurried to catch up with Summer.
    "Oh hi Luna," Summer said, when the Chief's daughter joined her. Luna fell into step beside Summer and together they walked down to the river. Once they were out of earshot of the village Luna asked Summer what was bothering her. "Nothing really, I was just thinking about the initiation ceremony," Summer told her.
    "I wish you could tell me about the ceremony," Luna said. Summer Rain glanced at Luna and rolled her eyes. "I know…I know, you can't talk about it. I just wish I knew what the big mystery was," Luna said with a sigh.
    Summer took Luna's hand and led her over to sit on the grassy bank of the river. "Now Luna it's no different that the ceremonies the girls have. I know that to the boys they are just as mysterious as their ceremonies are to you," Summer Rain explained.
    "Yeah but you get to be a part of both," Luna pointed out.
    "That's because I'm the Starchild," Summer said with a playful grin. Luna nudged Summer with her shoulder and they both laughed.
    Ever since Summer saved Luna from the mountain lion the two girls had grown increasingly closer. Luna thought that the sun rose and set on Summer Rain. Besides being the Chief's oldest daughter Luna was also growing into an extremely beautiful woman. She had raven hair that hung loose in waves down her back. Luna had beautiful brown eyes and the beginnings of a very shapely figure. She was tall and slender with high cheekbones and a smile that lit up her whole face. There were plenty of young men in the village who were interested in Luna but she seemed to only have eyes for Summer Rain.
    By tribal law, no man could approach a young woman to court her until after she was initiated as an adult. Traditionally, it was the girl's father who arranged her marriage. If a hunter wanted to mate with a certain woman, he would approach her father, usually bringing his own father along. The young man would offer a bride price for the right to marry her. No two members of the same sex had ever been allowed to marry. Of course, this did not stop those so inclined from being together. While not the norm, homosexuality was not frowned upon or looked at as being unnatural. Some even saw homosexuality as a sign of being spiritually favored by the gods.
    Summer had never made any open displays of her feelings for Luna. She was too insecure, afraid that Luna would reject her. She was also afraid of what Howling Moon would say. Luna was his oldest child and therefore the chances were that her mate would one day replace him as the tribe's Chieftain. Summer Rain always felt like Howling Moon and his wife Soft Cloud didn't like her very much. The truth was she made them nervous, especially Soft Cloud. Because of this, Summer Rain didn't feel like it would be a good idea to show anyone how much she truly cared for Luna.
    The two young women sat together in comfortable silence as they watched the river flow by. After awhile Luna glanced up at the sun. "I had better get home and help mother with the evening meal. Will you be at the story telling tonight?" 
    Summer stood up and offered her hand to help Luna back to her feet. "I'll be there," Summer said with a smile. Their eyes met and Luna found herself transfixed by the vivid blue of Summer's eyes. To Luna it seemed as if Summer was looking right into her very soul.
    "Luna…Luna where are you?" Soft Cloud called as she walked towards the river.
    Summer turned to glance in the direction of the path, breaking the hold she had on Luna. "I better go. It would be better if your mother doesn't see us together like this." Luna turned to look at the path. When she turned back a second later Summer was gone. She had vanished silently into the forest. She was forever disappearing within the blink of an eye like that. Some of the people believed that she had the power to turn herself into an animal and that was how she disappeared as quickly and silently as she did. Luna wasn't sure what to believe. She knew that Summer had great spiritual powers. That was part of what attracted her to the young mystic.
    Summer returned to her father's hut a short time later with a couple of rabbits for the dinner pot. She stored her gear away and then passed the time playing with her little brother Otter until it was time to eat. After the evening meal Summer sat outside the family hut retouching the blade of her knife. Her father Stone sat near by smoking his pipe and looking at the stars. "You will go tomorrow with the other's to be purified?" Stone asked.
    "Yes father," Summer answered.
    Stone nodded his head. "That is good," he said.
    Stone had always had a hard time accepting that his daughter was the Starchild. It was hard for him to believe that she was to be the savior of their people. Black Hawk said that she must be taught the ways of the hunter so Stone obeyed. Stone worried about Summer Rain though. He was her father and it was his job to protect her. How could he protect her and at the same time allow her to follow her destiny? It was always difficult for Stone to know what the right thing for him to do was when it came to dealing with Summer. Summer Rain knew this and accepted the distance that existed between them. She knew her parents cared about her but like nearly everyone else in the village, Summer made them nervous.
    As the silence between Summer and Stone drew out she decided to go join the others in the village circle. The stories would be starting soon. Summer put her knife back in her belt and said good night to her parents and younger brother before strolling over to talk to some of her hunt brothers.
    Summer Rain and the other boys ran off to play a robust game of tracker tag. They split up into two teams. The object was for one team to hide around the village or by the river while the other team tried to track them then tag the members out. Summer was great at this game. With her ability to disappear it was almost impossible for the others to find her. Even on the rare occasions when she was spotted, Summer could outrun all her hunt brothers. She could make it back to the safe zone before they could tag her out.
    Luna sat by the fire trying to listen to the tales being told. They were stories about when the earth was young and the gods made the world and the people. Luna tried to listen but her attention kept being drawn back to the sound of Summer's laughter as she played with her friends. Luna wished that she could slip away into the dark and go join Summer Rain. "It sounds like she's having so much fun," Luna said. "She said she would be here for the stories tonight," Luna pouted.
    Sparrow patted her friend's knee understandingly. Sparrow knew how much Luna cared for Summer Rain. She was practically all Luna ever talked about. "She'll be here. They are just burning off nervous energy. Remember they begin the purification in the morning," Sparrow said.
    As Sparrow and Luna spoke in soft whispers Summer circled around the village to the fire ring. She sat down on the other side of Luna. "Did I miss anything good?" Summer asked. Luna jumped at the sudden appearance of Summer at her side.
    "Don't do that!" Luna hissed as she slapped Summer's arm. Summer Rain smiled and it took Luna's breath away. She truly loved the Starchild with all her heart. If only there was some way that they could be together.
    Luna's father Howling Moon and her mother Soft Cloud saw the way their daughter looked at the Starchild. They both knew that Luna loved Summer Rain but they feared for her future. Howling Moon wanted his daughter to find a nice young hunter and settle down, to start a family of her own. Soft Cloud feared the prophecies about the Starchild. She wanted to protect her daughter from the heartbreaks of loving such a powerful mystic.
    In spite of their fears Luna's parents found it hard not to like Summer Rain. She was strong, generous, respectful and patient. She was always there to help out anyone who needed a hand. She gave meat and furs to those who were too old or too weak to hunt any longer. She helped the women who were widowed or simply had no hunter to provide for them. She was kind to the small children and simple-minded. She respected the land and obeyed all of the people's laws. Howling Moon found it very difficult to disapprove of Summer Rain. So while he worried about his daughter's future and her happiness he could not bring himself to order Luna to stay away from her.
    "By the time of the fall gathering Luna will be old enough to marry. Will you search for a mate for her then?" Soft Cloud asked Howling Moon.
    "Perhaps… although I am not happy at the thought of loosing our daughter to another village. I would rather she choose one of our own hunters," Howling Moon answered. 
    Soft Cloud gazed across the fire circle at her daughter sitting with the Starchild. "She will never choose another as long as Summer Rain is near," Soft Cloud said with a sigh.
    As the hour began to grow late people started to drift off back to their huts. Summer Rain and Luna slowly walked across the village towards Howling Moon's hut. "You will be joining the others in the purification ritual tomorrow?" Luna asked.
    "Yes. It's the last part of my initiation into adulthood," Summer answered. Seeing the worried look in Luna's eyes Summer added, "Don't worry. It won't really be so bad and I will be back in three days time."
    "I can't help but worry about you. Besides I hate the idea of being apart for three whole days," Luna said with a pout. Summer smiled and pulled Luna close to hug her tight. Luna leaned into Summer's body breathing in her scent hungrily.
    "May I see you off in the morning?"
    "I don't think so. I'm going to spend the night at the spirit hut with Black Hawk. I promise I will find you as soon as I return though," Summer said. Luna hated the thought of letting Summer go. Not to see her for three days would be torture for Luna but she was trying to be brave.
    Luna knew she had no right to interfere in the affairs of a hunter or future Spirit Master. She could not ask Summer Rain not to go although that was what she wanted with all her heart. At fourteen three days could seem like an eternity to be away from the person you love. They had never gone even a whole day without speaking in the last five years. A tear slipped down her cheek and she quickly brushed it away. "I know that you must go. Will you do something for me though?" Luna asked.
    "Name it and if it is mine to give you shall have it," Summer said as she looked down into Luna's eyes.
    Luna pulled out her small knife and cut off a lock of her hair. She tied a string around it and handed it to Summer Rain. "Take this with you on your spiritual path, to remind you of me," Luna said.
    Summer took the lock of hair and put it in her medicine pouch. "Thank you. I will carry it close to my heart always," Summer promised, her voice cracking with emotion. Then Summer did something that surprised them both. She leaned forward and kissed Luna softly on the cheek. Both feeling awkward and self-conscience they quickly said good night. Summer watched as Luna disappeared into her father's hut.
    "The hour is late," Black Hawk said when his granddaughter entered his hut.
    "I'm sorry grandfather. I lost track of the time," Summer apologized.
    "That has been known to happen when one is young…and in love," the old man said with a sly smile. Summer Rain smirked. She had never been able to hide her feelings from the old man. She knew better than to even ask how he knew she was with Luna.
    Black Hawk retired to his bed leaving Summer alone with her thoughts. Summer couldn't talk to Luna about the purification ceremony but she was feeling a bit nervous about it. When the sun rose in the morning all the initiates would be hiking up into the hills where they would spend the remainder of the day in a sweat lodge. They would be given herbs to purge their stomachs then fast for the three days of purification.
    After spending the day in the sweat lodge and vomiting the contents of their stomachs, the initiates would swim in the river to wash away any remaining impurities. They would spend the night in ritualistic prayer and dance. The second day they would smoke the sacred leaves to induce their visions. Then there was more dancing and prayers until the initiates would be over taken by their individual visions. When the sun burned low in the western sky of the third day, they would begin their trek back to the village.
    It wasn't the fasting or the sweat lodge or even the days without sleep that bothered Summer. She was worried about what she might see on her vision quest. Summer Rain knew the prophecy of the Starchild. She knew that if she was in fact the promised one, as the people believed, that her path in life would not be an easy one. Summer wasn't sure she wanted to know what the spirits had in store for her.
    Eventually Summer pushed aside her uncertainties and lay down to sleep. She pulled out the lock of hair that Luna gave her. With a smile Summer breathed in Luna's scent. She brushed its softness across her cheek and allowed herself to imagine for a moment what it would be like if they could truly be together. With a sigh Summer put the hair back in her pouch and tried to sleep. It would be her last chance to do so for the next three days. Meanwhile across the village Luna laid sleepless in her bed. She couldn't get the memory of Summer Rain kissing her cheek out of her mind. She loved Summer so much it almost hurt sometimes.
© Copyright 2007 lezfiction (lezfiction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228790-Written-in-the-Stars