*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233449-Written-in-the-Stars-Chapter-Six
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · LGBTQ+ · #1233449
A young woman must choose between follwing her heart and fulfilling her destiny.
Chapter Six

    The tribe remained at the makeshift camp for the next two days in order to allow Black Hawk and Summer Rain time to fully recover from their travels in the Spirit Realm. This delayed the tribe’s arrival at the Gathering but no one seemed ready to complain. What was that in comparison to possibly loosing the Promised One to the world of the unseen? The Starchild must be protected from harm or they would all be lost.

    Just as with the dreams, Summer could not remember what it was that had caused her spirit to leave her body. She remembered nothing but the look on Luna's face when she awoke. Knowing how deeply Luna cared for her only made it more difficult for Summer to remain distant from her. She could not deny her love for the young woman but in truth nothing had changed. She was still the Chosen One and Luna was to marry the next Chief of their tribe. As Black Hawk had said, no one person could hold both positions and give each the attention they deserved. Summer decided not to push Luna away anymore but instead to try to remain friends. It would break her heart a thousand times when Luna married someone else but that could not be helped. In the meantime, Summer sent Jade away to seek out a mate elsewhere. She was not interested in the woman. She was now determined that if she could not be with Luna she would remain single, for no other woman could take Luna's place in Summer's heart.

    The people could hear the noise and smell the smoke from the Gathering long before it came into sight. More than a dozen tribes had already arrived at the yearly Gathering. Howling Moon went to talk to the other Chiefs while the tribe waited. When he returned he lead the tribe to the area where they would make their camp. Mothers hurried their children along past the other tribe's encampments. There were so many new sights and sounds for the children to explore. The men were looking forward to renewing old friendships and participating in the games of skill and chance. The women were anxious to get their camp set up so they could search out family and friends that resided with other tribes in the region. Some of the women had been born to other tribes and had married into this one. The Gathering was the only time they got to see their families and catch up on all the gossip since they last met.

    Summer set up her tent a short distance away from the other hunters. She was not yet a full Spirit Master and therefore could not dwell on the Hill of Power along with Black Hawk and the other mystics. However she required a spot where she would not be disturbed as she worked on her potions and spells. The wolf that was always at her side was tense with the presence of so many unfamiliar people. Summer worried about how the other people would react to the wolf in their mists. She did not want the animal harmed in anyway. When she prepared to leave her tent she told the wolf to stay and keep watch over her things. This would give him time to adjust to the smell and sound of so many strangers. It would also give Black Hawk a chance to explain about the wolf to the other Spirit Masters. If they agreed to his request, they would tell their people that the wolf was a powerful spirit and not to be harmed. Black Hawk believed that the wolf was a protecting spirit that stood watch over and guarded the Starchild. He would tell the other Spirit Masters this and let them decide what to do.

    Summer carried only a pair of finely made flint knives with her when she left the tent. She just wanted to walk around and get the feel of the place for a while without drawing attention to herself by carrying her spear. She looked much the same as the other young women, except she wore buckskin trousers and a vest of reindeer fur. Summer also wore a plain headband undecorated by beadwork. Summer strolled down to the area where the traders had set up their wares. She stopped now and then to glance at a particularly well-made weapon or ceremonial item. One man became annoyed as she reached out to pick up a hand-carved staff. "What are you doing girl? Get away from there before you curse the staff with your unworthy touch," he yelled. The man jumped up, intending to shove Summer away from his blanket but she was too quick for him. As he lunged forward to grab her arm, Summer twisted away causing the man to fall forward to the ground.

    "You move too quickly my friend. One should always know their prey before attacking," Summer said. With a friendly smile she reached out a hand to help him back to his feet.

    "I need no help from a woman," he hissed in annoyance.

    "Making new friends already I see," Turtle laughed as he walked over to stand beside the Starchild.

    "Is she your woman?" the man asked as he got up to tower over the younger man. Turtle laughed at the very thought.

    "Summer…oh no. She's not my woman. She’s just a friend," Turtle said as he leaned on his spear.

    "Good then you won't mind if I teach her some manners," the man said as he pushed up his sleeves.

    "Please, be my guest. I'd like to see that," Turtle said with amusement.

    "Forget it Turtle. It's not worth fighting over," Summer said as she turned her back to leave.

    "Oh no. You're not going anywhere until I say so," the man said as he reached out and grabbed Summer by the elbow.

    Summer Rain turned to face him. "Let go. I don't want to hurt you friend," she warned.

    "You? Hurt me?" the man laughed. Summer didn't flinch and she did not look away either. Something in her eyes told the man that she wasn't joking. It wasn't possible for a mere woman to harm a hunter. No woman had that much power, none but the Starchild that is. As realization set in the trader fell to his knees before her. "Starchild…" he whispered in awe. Summer slowly nodded her head as she crossed her arms over her chest.

    Turtle was finding the whole situation much too entertaining for Summer's taste. She reached out her arm to playfully slap him in the stomach. "Shut up Turtle," she whispered. "Get up friend. I'm not going to hurt. It was just a misunderstanding. I'm willing to forget it all if you are."

    "Yes, yes of course. I did not know who you were. Please accept the staff as a gift," the quivering man said as he held out the staff to Summer. 

    "No, no I could not possibly accept. You have put much work into crafting this fine staff. It would not be right that you receive nothing for it. Perhaps if you wouldn't mind setting it aside for me though, I will return to my tent and bring back a worthy trade."

    "As you wish." The man set the staff aside for Summer to come back for later.

    "You should have taken it," Turtle said once they had left. Summer shot her friend look of mock annoyance. Turtle shrugged and kept walking.

    The Gathering was a feast of sights, sounds and delicious smells. "I'm hungry. Let's get something to eat." Summer said as they neared the cooking pits. For the price of a small fur people could buy a bowl of soup or stew with bread and a cup of tea. The women who did the cooking and served the people then could use the furs to trade for other items they wanted. It was a good arrangement for all involved. That way if you were away from your camp and got hungry you did not have to walk all the way back across the Gathering to find a hot meal whenever you wanted it. Fox and beaver pelts had always been standard in trading, as was rabbit and buckskin. After eating their fill at the Cooking Pit Turtle suggested that they take a walk down by the Brides' Market. This was where young maidens who sought a mate would gather. It gave the men the chance to look over the choices and the women a chance to get aquatinted with prospective mates. There were always a few old women there to keep watch over the girls. Spotted Fawn was there gossiping with old friends when Summer and Turtle came by.

    Summer wasn't really interested in looking at the young women. She had just gone along because Turtle had asked her to. Some of the old women giggled when they saw Summer coming. "Quite you fools! Don't you know who she is?" Spotted Fawn asked.

    "Who?" two of the women asked in unison.

    "That is Summer Rain, the Starchild," Spotted Fawn informed them. The women gazed at Summer in wonder as they murmured excitedly among themselves. "She is from my tribe. Black Hawk had me help in her training of plants and herbs," Spotted Fawn added proudly.

    "The Starchild…she searches for a bride?" one of the women asked.

    "Perhaps. What hunter does not need a woman to tend their hut and cook their meals?" Spotted Fawn asked.

    "And to warm their bed," a woman called Yellow Feather added. The old women exchanged knowing smirks of amusement.

    "Yes I suppose that too. Summer has developed a great fondness for the eldest daughter of our Chief," Spotted Fawn informed the others.

    "Are they to be joined then?" Yellow Feather asked.

    "No. Howling Moon has no sons so the man Luna weds will become our next Chief," Spotted Fawn answered.

    Summer saw Spotted Fawn waving to her so she walked over to say hello. "I see that you have already found the friends of which you spoke," Summer commented.

    "Yes, I knew they would be here. Have you come in search of a bride Summer? There are many beautiful young women to choose from this year," Spotted Fawn added with a wave towards the young maidens nearby.

    "I came because Turtle asked me to walk with him. I think he is a bit shy when it comes to speaking to women yet," Summer answered.

    "Many young men his age are. It will pass though," Yellow Feather said as she rubbed the back of her one hand. Summer looked at the old woman and saw her knuckles were swollen and stiff with age, turning her once long slender hand into what now appeared to be a claw.

    "You hand, it hurts you?" Summer asked. Yellow Feather shrugged.

    "The colder weather makes it ache more but I am a old woman. There is nothing that can be done for that," Yellow Feather said matter-of-factly.

    Summer went to kneel before Yellow Feather. "May I see it?" she asked. Yellow Feather looked at Spotted Fawn then tentatively held out her hand for the Starchild. Gently Summer took the offered hand. She covered the old woman's hand with her own and began to gently rub it. Summer's hand began to softly glow as heat radiated from her palm into the woman's swollen knuckles. Yellow Feather gasped in surprise. "Don't be afraid woman," Summer said quietly as she looked up into Yellow Feather's eyes. When Summer released Yellow Feather's hand the swelling was gone. She could once again move her hand without pain or stiffness. Summer Rain patted Yellow Feather's hand affectionately as she got to her feet.

    "Summer come on let's go," Turtle called to his friend impatiently.

    Summer looked at Spotted Fawn and said, "I have to go now. I'll see you later". Summer then turned and hurried off to catch up with her friend.

    "My hand! My hand! Look the Starchild has healed my hand!" Yellow feather said excitedly as she opened and closed her fist for all to see. Spotted Fawn examined her friend's hand and found what she said to be true. Shaking her head in bewilderment she gazed off in the direction Summer had gone.

    Summer hadn't given much thought to how or why she had healed the old woman's hand. It was just something she felt she had to do. By the end of the day though news of what she had done had spread across the Gathering like wild fire. Yellow Feather told everyone she saw how the Starchild had magically healed her. It did not take long for the news of this to reach the Hill of Power where the Spirit Masters dwelled. Black Hawk scratched his head and went to find Summer Rain. "I swear I don't know what to expect next from that girl. She has not healed anyone since she was a small child. Why now does she do so again and for an old woman?" Black Hawk said aloud to the spirits near by as he walked down the hill.

    "She is the Starchild, what would you have her do?" the spirits whispered back.

    Meanwhile Summer had returned to her tent for her pack She gave the trader a small pouch of dried meat from the great Spirit Buffalo and one of her finest made blades for the staff he held for her. With her new staff in hand Summer went to Gaming Tent to join the other men in games of chance. It was there amongst the gambling and drinking that Black Hawk found her. "Summer! Come with me. The other Spirit Masters wish to speak to you. Bring Wolf with you too. We might as well let them see him and make a judgment about him while we are there," Black Hawk said. Once outside the tent Black Hawk added, "I will wait for you at the base of the hill while you get the wolf".

    "There is no need. He is already on his way to join us."

    Black Hawk looked at his grand daughter. "How do you know this? I thought you left him waiting in your tent." 

    "I did leave him in the tent but…" Summer's thought was cut short by the wolf dashing up to her feet barking excitedly. The wolf stood up on his hind legs and put his huge paws on Summer's shoulders to greet her. Summer laughed and scratched the animal's thick soft fur. "Okay boy get down," she commanded. Summer looked at her grand father and shrugged. "I don't know how but he knows when I want him and he comes," she explained.

  "So I see. This is most odd Summer. I think he truly must be a powerful spirit sent by the gods to know these things," Black hawk said.

    Black Hawk, Summer Rain and Wolf walked together towards the Hill of Power. As she had feared the people were frightened by the presence of the large beast in their mists. Summer kept one hand on her new staff and the other down at her side to steady the nervous animal as they passed by the groups of people. Wolf growled low in his throat a few times but made no move to leave Summer's side.

    Black Hawk led Summer Rain up the hill to the communal tent of the council. This was where the Spirit Masters all gathered together for their rituals and to discuss matters of importance to the people. Black Hawk pushed aside the tent flap and entered. Summer and the wolf followed after him. There was a momentary mummer of concern as the gathered men saw the large wolf. Black Hawk raised his hand to quite them. "This is my grand daughter Summer Rain. The wolf is her friend and will not harm anyone here," Black Hawk said.

    "How is that possible?" one of the men seated in the semi-circle asked.

    "The wolf obeys the will of the Starchild. He is her protecting spirit. He will harm none but those who seek to harm his charge," Black Hawk explained.

    Summer looked around the room at the faces of the gathered men. There were fourteen in all counting Black Hawk. These were the men who would decide if she was a worthy successor to Black Hawk as the next Spirit Master of their tribe. The leader of the council was a man so old that he had long ago forgotten his own name. For as far back as anyone could remember he had been simply called the Ancient. The Ancient motioned for Summer to come closer and face the council. "So Starchild you have grown much in the past year," he began. "We have been hearing tales all over the gathering of what you did this afternoon."

    "Forgive my ignorance Master but I don’t know what you mean," Summer replied. The old man smiled patiently.

    "We have heard that you healed an old woman down at the Bride's Market. Is this so?" he asked.

    "Yes Master that is true," Summer answered respectfully.

    "We wish to hear from you what exactly it is that you did," the Ancient said as he motioned for Summer to kneel before them.

    Summer knelt and looked briefly at Black Hawk before answering. "It was really nothing to speak of. A friend had asked me to go with him to the Bride's Market. There I saw Spotted Fawn, the old Root Woman of my tribe. I went to speak to her and that was when I met the woman Yellow Feather. I could not help but notice that her hand was causing her pain although she did not complain about it. I asked if I could see her hand and she allowed me to do so. All I did was take her hand in mine. When I released it the swelling was gone," Summer explained.

    "So you healed her then?" one of the Spirit Masters asked.

    "Yes" Summer answered.

    "I am curious, have you done such things before?" the Ancient asked. Summer had to stop and think before answering.

    "Once when I was yet a small child."

    "Who was it that you healed then?" he asked.

    "A lioness," Summer answered. A few of the men softly chuckled.

    "It is true. I was there and saw it with my own eyes," Black Hawk said in defense of his grand daughter.

    "Why would you want to heal a lioness?" one of the men asked.

    "Because I was the one who injured it," Summer answered with a shrug.

    "Hunters are suppose to kill animals, not save them," another man said.

    "Yes but I was not yet a hunter and the lioness had two cubs with her. If I had let her go when she was wounded she would have become too dangerous. If I killed her there would be no one to raise her cubs," the Starchild explained. The council of Spirit Masters exchanged glances before turning once again to Summer Rain.

    "Tell us then Summer, why is it you choose to heal the woman Yellow Feather?" the Ancient asked.

    "She was in pain and she is an old woman. Her hands had become crippled by a lifetime of hard work. Should she not now, in her old age, be free to enjoy the benefits of that work without the constant pain in her hand?" Summer asked. Black Hawk smiled at the wisdom of her words and the kindness of her thoughts.

    "Have you not seen others who suffer with pain over the years?" one man asked.

    "Yes."

    "And yet you did not heal them, why?" he said.

    "It was not needed. There was always some medicine or treatment that could ease their pain. This woman had no hope of relief. That is why I healed her.”

    "What of those who are mortally wounded? Would you not heal them as well?” the Ancient asked.

    "Death is a part of life. Who am I to say when it is their time that they may not go?" Summer responded.

    The council was impressed by the wisdom that Summer had shown in her answers. They saw that she sought not to interfere in the natural order of life. She wasn't using her powers to play god. After further discussion the council agreed to speak to their tribesmen about the wolf that traveled with the Starchild. They would make sure that no one tried to harm the animal while at the Gathering. They could see that Black Hawk spoke the truth about the animal being a protective spirit and they wished not to anger the gods who had sent the wolf to the Starchild. Summer was to return the wolf to her tent until the games began tomorrow. This would give the Spirit Masters' time to talk to their people about the animal and it's importance.

    Night was falling as Summer returned the wolf to her tent. She stopped by the tent of her father Stone. Stone had already gone to the Gathering but Spring Flower was there feeding their young son Otter. Summer got herself something to eat then offered to take her brother with her to the story telling by the central fire. Spring Flower smiled appreciatively. She had her hands full trying to keep up with the energetic young boy. Summer thought her mother might be grateful for the chance to get away on her own to see old friends and enjoy the Gathering.

    Otter was only too happy to go with his big sister Summer. Lately it seemed that she never had enough time to spend with him anymore. She was too busy learning to be a great Spirit Master. Otter had come of age when he was to begin his training as a hunter. Still in many ways he was just a boy, grateful for the chance to hang out with the older sister that he loved. Summer Rain laid her hand on her brother's shoulder and guided him towards the tent flap. It was nice to have the time to enjoy being with the boy again. Ever since her initiation Summer had been too busy to simply hang out with Otter. Come morning she would begin the task of proving her worth as hunter of the people before the Gathering. Tonight she would get to be just a young woman. She would be free from her destiny for a few hours at least.

    Summer bought Otter special treats from the traders, tasty morsels of sweet delight that made the boy smile with the innocence only a child could express. They laughed at private jokes as they walked hand in hand to the central fire. Otter sat on the ground his legs crossed before him as he leaned over to rest his elbows on his legs. Otter lowered his chin to rest on his upraised hands as he listened intently to the story being told. Summer sat behind him. She too had become caught up in the well-told tale. She was startled when Luna covered her eyes with her hand from behind.

    "Guess who," Luna whispered hotly against Summer's ear. Summer's hand released the dagger by her side and relaxed.

    Reaching up to take Luna's wrist in her hand, Summer smiled as she yanked Luna around to land on her lap. Luna laughed and wrapped her arms around Summer's neck. Summer looked into Luna's face and once again was nearly overwhelmed by the love she felt for the woman. "I did not expect to see you here," Luna said. Otter turned to shush the women behind him. Luna and Summer both smiled at the boy. Luna climbed off of Summer's lap to sit beside her. "I wonder if they will tell the prophecy of the Starchild," Luna whispered teasingly. She knew that particular tale always embarrassed Summer Rain. Whether Summer liked it or not, it was always told each year at the Gathering. Summer gently elbowed Luna in response.

    "Quite," Otter hissed.

    "Okay," Summer whispered back. Summer got up and motioned for Luna to follow her. They moved back farther away from the circle so they could talk without distracting the others.

    "So where is Wolf tonight?" Luna asked.

    "In my tent. The council of Spirit Masters have agreed to talk to their tribes about him in the morning," Summer answered.

    "It seems so odd to see you without him. I guess you must miss him."

    "It's safer for him in the tent. Besides I think all these people make him a bit nervous."

    Luna glanced back over at Otter. "I hear you were at the Bride's Market today," she said trying to sound uninterested.

    "I was," Summer replied with a smirk.

    "Are you looking for a wife?" Luna asked.

    "Perhaps," Summer answered evasively.

    Luna was getting rather annoyed with Summer. Why does she always make me come out and say the things I don't want to say? Luna thought to herself. "See anyone you liked?" she asked as she sneaked a peek up at Summer Rain's face.

    "Why, are you jealous?" Summer asked.

    "No!" Luna protested much too strongly.

    Summer sighed and leaned back against a tree. "I went because Turtle asked me to go. That's all," Summer explained.

    "Really?" Luna asked.

    "Really." Summer replied.  Luna turned to face the circle as she leaned back against the warm comfort of Summer Rain's body.

    "Did you really heal that old woman like everyone says?" Luna asked.

    "Yeah, I did."

    "I'm glad. People her age have earned the right to enjoy their lives without the constant shadow of pain hanging over them." 

    Summer laughed and bent her head to kiss Luna's cheek. "You know that's exactly what I told the council of Spirit Masters when they asked me why I did it." Luna turned to look at Summer Rain briefly before snuggling back closer to her body.

    Meanwhile across the field, the Ancient and council of Spirit Masters and Chiefs were busy welcoming yet another tribe to the Gathering. The tribe had traveled for many days from the north to take part in the yearly festivities. They were strangers to the land and to the people who dwelled there. Their Chief said he had heard about the Gathering from some traders and thought it would be fun. There were very few women or children who traveled with this new tribe. It was mostly hunters and of course their Spirit Master, Shadow Stalker.

    Shadow had heard some of the newly captured slaves talking about the Gathering and wanted to see for himself what kind of people lived in the south. He was not looking to trade or to buy wives. He was searching for his next village to conquer. He was searching for slaves and sacrifices for his god. He had also heard the slaves from different tribes talking about a Promised One who would one day be born to lead the people. He wanted to see if this legend was anything that he need be concerned about as he planned his next moves to dominate a vast empire. Shadow hungered not only for the fear, pain and blood of others. He wanted to rule over all men. He felt cheated by the fact that his brother had been named Chief after their father, simply because he was born first. Could the people not see that I am clearly the stronger of the two? After all, I am a powerful Spirit Master who commands the respect of all around me, Shadow Stalker thought to himself.

    Once welcomed by the council Shadow ordered a couple of the men to set up his tent for him while he went to have a look around the gathering. He had stopped to listen when he came to the circle of storytellers. His eye fell on a lovely young woman across the way from him. She was tall and shapely with long raven hair flowing down her back. Her eyes seemed to sparkle when she laughed. Shadow could feel himself becoming excited as he watched her from the distance. He wanted to have her, to break her spirit and bend her to his will.

    Luna felt a cold shiver run up her back. Summer looked at her in concern. "It's nothing. There must be a storm coming or something," Luna said. Summer wrapped her arms around Luna to keep her warm. She too had felt a sudden coldness but it was from no storm. There was a darkness nearby that drained the warmth of the night. Summer could sense the evil around her as her eyes scanned the gathered faces. She knew that there was something truly evil in their mists…but where was it hiding? "Oh Summer listen. He's going to tell the story of the Starchild," Luna said excitedly. Summer groaned. Shadow Stalker looked from the two girls to the speaker. This was one story he wanted to hear.
© Copyright 2007 lezfiction (lezfiction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233449-Written-in-the-Stars-Chapter-Six