*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233464-Rumours-in-the-Dark
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1233464
Written by a friend of mine who wanted to see what people think...
Nyan carried the food tray through the dimly lit passage. All around her cold stone walls seemed to smother any trace of light that might dare to pierce the darkness. She felt a sickening sense of dread creep into her stomach as she drew closer to her destination. There had been rumours. Soldiers, guards, servants… all reporting a man shrouded in darkness. A man too dangerous to keep with even the most hardened criminals. A man, they said, who was barely human. And it was such a man Nyan was heading towards.

She wondered how she had come to be in such a position. Serving meals was supposed to be a safe job, yet her present situation seemed to be anything but safe. 

Nyan, jerking out of her thoughts, realised that she had arrived. A lone guard stood in front of a five-foot door. He was armed with a sword, spear, shield and mace. She couldn't decide whether this heightened or lowered her fears.

"I will open the door, you will put the tray on the bench, then you will walk out again." The guard stated blankly. He barely looked at her, maintaining his rigid stance throughout the statement.

"Uh…ok." Nyan replied slowly.

The guard stepped aside, taking a key from his pocket. He fitted the key into the door handle and turned it. The door swung inward.

Nyan took a step forward, then another. She heard the door click shut behind her, and it was a moment before she had the courage to continue inward. Looking around, she saw a torch hanging far up the wall. It's light did not penetrate the entire cell, but within the shadows Nyan could make out a mass of chains and ropes. Although the guard had told her to be brief, she couldn't help but continue to stare. Within the tangle of ropes and chains, Nyan could make out a figure hanging limply with arms suspended above its head. Although she was glad not to be greeted with a thrashing animal, the deadly silence that hung in the air was almost as unnerving.

Looking leftward, she saw a small wooden bench secured firmly to the ground. Moving towards it, Nyan bent down and placed the tray down carefully. She was starting to feel less afraid now that she had almost completed her job. She turned towards the door.

Suddenly, a pain-filled groan pierced the stillness. Nyan jumped in fright. Her heart rapidly picked up pace as she turned and looked back.

Squinting, she could make out that the figure was struggling against it's bonds, but the chains and ropes were holding fast. Though the figure could only just be seen, one thing did stand out. A pair of blue eyes gleamed near where the figure's head should be. Nyan was shocked, she had never seen wider or more pale eyes.

If it was possible, the blue eyes widened. They were unfocused as the struggle continued. After another groan, the figure gave up the struggle and fell back, the ropes and chains cutting into its body as they held it aloft. She thought it looked almost pitiful, suspended awkwardly half a foot from the ground.

Thinking that she might be in trouble with the guard, Nyan turned quickly and walked the remaining distance out of the cell. The guard shut the door behind her as she walked back up the passage. Though there was still much work to do that day, Nyan could not erase the memory of those pale blue eyes that glowed steadily through the darkness.
© Copyright 2007 Jalende (lilka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233464-Rumours-in-the-Dark