*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233882-Wrestling-With-a-SEAL
by Moby
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Action/Adventure · #1233882
This is a true story, at least as best I can remember.
It was 1985 or 86 and I was in the Navy stationed on board USS Tuscaloosa (LST 1187).

Some shipmates and I were having a going away party for one of the ET's (that's an electronics technician) at a mobile home park clubhouse. I had gotten fairly drunk and found myself engaged in conversation with a Gunners Mate (GM).  We were discussing recent events in Lebanon and the suicide bombing of the marine barracks that left hundreds of marines dead.  GM had been there as a member of the Navy SEALS and was very opinionated on the subject – as he had a right to be.

Me, being drunk, and stupid, and belligerent was arguing some point which I no longer remember.  I hardly knew what I was talking about at the time so how should I remember it now?  Anyway, the conversation rapidly deteriorated to point that I was just saying "bullsh*t" to any comment he offered.  So GM decided to take our exchange of ideas in a more productive direction.

He grabbed me by my shirt collar, slammed me down onto a ping pong table which promptly collapsed under our combined weight.  He then lifted me up spun me around 360 degrees, dropped me to the floor, pinned both my arms under his knees and straddled my chest.  This all happened in less than four seconds.  I'm not kidding

A couple of shipmates started approaching and GM yells, "Stay back!  I'll break his f**kin neck!"  Lest there be some misunderstanding he repeated the warning two or three times.

With the help of the alcohol in my system I remained quite calm; accepting the fact that I was about to experience a genuine beating when GM, who was tensed like a cat about to spring, suddenly relaxed, sighed heavily and got up off me.  Then he grabbed my arms, helped me up and hugged me as he apologized.  I was stunned…and relieved.  I hugged him back.

After our hug fest the party continued as if nothing had happened.

GM's wife was at the party and out of suspicion I asked her, "Does he do that often?"  She nodded slightly.
© Copyright 2007 Moby (mhowell67 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233882-Wrestling-With-a-SEAL