*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1235933-Gaps-for-the-Gifted-in-Public-Education
Rated: E · Editorial · Opinion · #1235933
Commentary on Gifted & Talented programs and educational alternatives for unique kids.
From the time I was a young kid, I struggled to find the place where I "fit". In school, I never conformed to the usual rules and always sought a way to approach things differently. I was constantly seeking approval for being different, and asking, or more accurately demanding, that I was the exception to the rule. Every child needs attention, but it wasn't that I needed to be in the limelight. Rather, I would wait patiently as I queried again and again why things couldn't be done a little differently in my case. And unlike most children, I had a very thoughtful and detailed explanation as to why I should be that exception. No child should be given every request simply because they want something, but what do we, as a society, do for precocious children who ask for special license or attention and have thoughtful and valid reasoning for why they should receive it?

In previous times, organizations like Mensa, the gifted and talented programs in grade schools, or honor societies and programs have sought to reward those who play by society's rules and achieve high academic marks. But I believe these programs have partly failed our children because:
1. Many require financial support
2. Many rely on standardized testing
3. Many are so restricted by bureaucracy that they are unable to function as they are intended.
4. We are living in a reactive rather than a proactive society where keeping up with the problem-makers in our schools takes the focus over nurturing our gifted children.

I believe that providing a standard level of education for our youth is important, but when it comes to youngsters who are acting more and more violent and are less and less willing to learn, we must begin to re-evaluate the system that is failing them. Perhaps we are too concerned with the legal ramifications of angry but irresponsible parents who want their child to get as much attention as another. Perhaps our public school systems are struggling under far too heavy of a financial crisis and therefore unable to hire high-quality, caring, motivated and skilled educators.

In conclusion, I am still trying to find that place where I belong, but now I realize that it may be my responsibility to help create that place... to effect change so that children like myself, and others, can reach their full potential.
© Copyright 2007 Shandralyn (shandralyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1235933-Gaps-for-the-Gifted-in-Public-Education