*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237476-What-Makes-a-Philosopher
by Loayeh
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1237476
First paper for my intro to philosophy course

What makes a Philosopher?

A philosopher subverts the established order, constantly questions society and societal values, asking to know why things are done the way they are done and not otherwise. As such, a philosopher often appears like an irritant to society. His or her inquisitorial approach to issues tends to annoy those who stick to the status quo.

The philosopher’s constant questioning however, does inevitably lead to changes– even if such changes are brought about reluctantly. By constantly prodding the society, the philosopher pushes society to look inside itself and try to see itself the way it truly is, not how it believes it is. 

In this quest for the truth, the philosopher gains wisdom. Etymologically-speaking, a philosopher is a lover of wisdom.  Philosophy leads us to discern, like Solomon in the Bible, that wisdom is more precious than silver or gold. It was this search for wisdom that led Immanuel Kant to dedicate his life to philosophy. His conviction that wisdom stood above everything else in society, easily led Socrates to not only dedicate his entire life to ensuring her triumph, but to readily die for that conviction.
 
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for a companion. Given philosophy’s constant search for wisdom, it doesn’t suffice to say ‘I love wisdom’, but accept her as a life companion, ready even to give up one’s life to protect her integrity. Then one would have proven to be a lover of wisdom. Then one can be called a philosopher.
© Copyright 2007 Loayeh (loayeh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237476-What-Makes-a-Philosopher