*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1239239-What-about-us
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1239239
A story about servivel.
I’m twenty-five years old, my roommate has just lost his job and bills are coming due.  While I do make an average salary, it’s still not enough.  My roommate and I have been able to manage on my take home pay for about two and a half months now, but the money is running out and fast.  I’m waiting for my phone to be shut off, the electricity to be shut off and an eviction notice placed on our door.  We have no food in the house, so I drink as much water as possible just to keep the hunger pains at bay.  My roommate has spent the past week and a half at a friend’s house because I put too much stress on him.

I have tried to get help, but they tell me “I’m sorry, but you make too much.”  I make too much?  How can this be?  I’m barely making enough to survive, and yet they’re telling me that I make too much.  “Well if you’d have a kid, we’d be more then happy to help you out.”  How the hell is a kid going to help out my situation?  All it’s going to do is add to my stress level, and cause me more issues then I really want right now.  If I can’t even afford to feed my self, how the hell am I going to be able to feed this kid?  What kind of a world do we live in where we’d help these people that go out and get knocked up just so they could get some help from the government?

We have people dieing day after day because our own government would much rather help out a family with five kids then one person that’s just trying to make a life for themselves.  I think this is wrong.  Where I work I see people, that are on food stamps, come in and buy new TV’s, DVD’s, video games, and lots more stuff that I’ve simply just had to go without because I don’t have the money.  These people also buy stakes and things that are name brand items.  I don’t remember when the last time I had a stake or had the name brand on any item that I’ve bought.  It’s always the cheep stuff.  I know that the government can’t simply help everyone, but why would I have to go and have a kid just for a little assistance?  Anymore I’ve lost faith in our government and I don’t see the point of supporting something that won’t even support me when I need it the most.

I also know that I’m just one person and I can’t change the way things have been done for years.  So instead I’m going to sit in my cold apartment, and wait.  Wait for my phone to go silent, the lights to go out and for them to ask “where’s the rent money?”  Because this is what my government want me to do.  My government would much rather spend thousands of dollars on a war that has lost its meaning a long time ago.  My government would much rather help Joe Blow down the street with four kids, a brand new car, a big screen TV and enough game systems to keep his out of work ass busy for days.  My government would much rather help out a Hispanic couple, that won’t learn English, because they’ve come in search of a better life.  What about your own?  What about the ones you leave behind because they’re white and they’re smart enough not to go out and get knocked up just for the help?  What about the ones whom die from hunger every day because they’ve asked for help but were denied because there just wasn’t the money for them?  You help so many people, but at the same time, the ones that really do need the help you push to the side because they’re not needy enough.  How wrong is that?

***Now don't get me wrong, not everyone is like this.  I know several people that are on food stamps that go without just like me.  So I'm not saying that everyone on food stamps is like that, but there are some out there that are.
© Copyright 2007 lostsoul (lostsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1239239-What-about-us