*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1241632-Lest-We-Forget
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1241632
A people are dying and one man is desperate for a solution. For contest with word limits.
Lest We Forget

Graphic for my story, Lest We Forget


Tavnor pushed the weave down on his head. It was one his late wife, Maysa, had made for him, and it was getting thin and had holes here and there but was still serviceable. Lately, the sun seemed so much hotter and, in the section where he worked, there was no shade to be found. He was checking his rain markers and doing his soil nutrients testing, slow and tedious processes, but he enjoyed his work as a meteorologist. He never failed to do the tests timely. Tavnor was a large man with fair skin, and he had to avoid too much sun although he sometimes felt silly being covered head to toe when he was outside where it was so warm. His son Pietr teased him about it, but Pietr had his mother's darker coloring although he was also tall and well built. His daughter, Maya, had dark hair, and she was small and slender, also like her mother. Tavnor and Maysa had hoped for many children, but that was before the sickness began, the sickness that robbed people of children and shortened the lives of adults. There was no name for the sickness, but everyone knew there was one. It was discussed only in whispers late at night in the huvells as though discussing it would make it less frightening.

The first moon was setting when Tavnor finished his inspections. It was not quite dark, but it was cooler. He lay back on the sand, using the weave as a pillow and rested and prayed as was his custom each day at this time. He had more luck in attracting Urgod's attention when he was relaxed and patient or so it seemed to him. Lately, Urgod had not made an appearance although he scanned the sky carefully for the faint, blue mist that always preceded His appearance. He had so many questions. Dare he ask them? Who was he to question Urgod, after all, just another laborer on this planet, and not even the smartest one, he thought. But, time seemed to be running out on Livia. Would they all just die one day or would it be gradual? How would it all end? Why did it have to end? If Urgod couldn't save them, who could?

"There you are, Papa. You are late!"

Maya was standing over him, and he hadn't even noticed her arrival, so deep in thought he had been. Or had he fallen asleep? He jumped up, shaking the sand off his weave as he did so.

"I am sorry, daughter. I was hoping to see Urgod, but I guess he had others to attend to who are more important."

"No one is more important than you, Papa, but Urgod must have many responsibilities. No one sees much of him anymore from what I hear, but you know I never put much faith in him or any god. If he's too busy to save Momma or send me a husband and child, what do I have to say to him?"

"I do not like it when you are disrespectful to Urgod." Tavnor frowned as he took Maya by the arm and began the short trip to their home. "Your mother and I had hopes that you would serve him. Not only did you not join other young women in the Akolytes, but you do not worship except on the highest holy days and then begrudgingly."

"I am sorry I am such a disappointment to you, Papa."

"It is not I who is disappointed, Maya, but you are still young and perhaps you will someday feel differently."

"I do not wish to discuss such sad things tonight, Papa. Raynood has arrived for dinner."

"And you were complaining Urgod has sent you no husband." Tavnor laughed gently.

"Oh, has Raynood spoken for my hand, and you have not told me?" She peered up at Tavnor impishly. "I didn't think so."

"He's probably not brave enough and may fear you won't beat him only in rocks and papyrus." Tavnor loved to tease Maya, but he really did worry the girl appeared too strong and independent, not the way to attract a good husband any day, but especially these days, when a woman could not promise to deliver children to the marriage. It was not her fault, but there was so much despair around, and men wanted to blame something or someone.

Dinner was a quiet affair. There was enough food but more meat than anything. Fruits and vegetables were scarce this year. Maya was cleaning up although the men had offered to help. She knew that Pietr wanted to talk privately, so Tavnor and his son went outside where it was cooler and sat on the large swing that he had made more than 20 years before, when Maysa had been pregnant the first time.

"Papa, I wish to ask for your blessing."

"What scheme am I to bless this time?" Tavnor enjoyed teasing his only son.

"I know that you wanted me to take up a trade, perhaps even join the Mariners, but it is my desire to study music with Randel. He has but one opening this year. I believe I am ready."

"You play the airabel like no one I have ever heard, Pietr, but there is not much future in it as a vocation. I thought you wanted to marry and have a family. It would be difficult to keep a family on the tips received from street music."

"I could also take private students father or teach music in school or even compose for Urgods choir. You would like that."

"Yes, I would. I would like it even more if you would worship Urgod regularly. You and Maya have taken to skipping services. I have noticed. I am sure Urgod has noticed."

"I doubt Urgod notices much about me. He has a lot on his mind. The Governor of our province will be at our city's arena this Saturday to discuss the mysterious problems we are having which Urgod has not addressed, not with me anyway. I admit that I don't attend services regularly, and I can't remember the last time I saw Urgod. I am not proud of it, but it seems so useless. We are doomed."

"We are NOT doomed. Urgod will work things out. He always has. In the meantime, I will give you permission to study your music. I will withhold the blessing until you tell me you deserve it. It is clear that neither of my children are interested in my work, but you have a right to your own life."

"Thank you, Papa. I will not disappoint you. I swear."

"Do not swear. Urgod does not like it. Let your yea be yea."

"Yes, Papa."

***

Tavnor continued to pray. The children continued to stray. Urgod remained silent concerning their dying planet. Tavnor was disappointed, but he still believed. He believed that Urgod knew best and would not abandon them in their misery. Still, the planet grew hotter. The crops grew thinner, and water became more scarce. As they all aged, the despair of the people was thick in the air. Even Tavnor became weary with praying without ceasing but hearing nothing from Urgod to ease their pain.

One by one, generation by generation, the people of Livia died. On his last night on his beloved Livia, Tavnor prayed to Urgod. "My Lord, why? How can it end this way? After all these years ... have I not been a faithful servant? I know I am not perfect, but my love for you is without flaw. Why did you not heal the land, bless us with children and grandchildren? Shall we fade into nothingness as though we were never born?"

Tears poured from Tavnor's eyes as the blue mist gathered in the sky. In his mind, he was comforted although no answers were given. He remembered that Urgod promised never to abandon him. The mist then dissipated. Tavnor died on the beach, his mind and eyes having his last vision of Urgod as he drifted into eternity.

***

A thousand years later, a small space ship traveled through the air space of what was formerly Livia. As the captain plotted their course, he noticed a light blue mist. Before they could change course, they flew right through it. No harm came to them, but the ship's computer notified the captain of a strange occurrence. Several megabytes of information was stored on their "captain's log," information that had not been there before. Curious, the captain began reading, and he was fascinated. It was the story about a man named Tavnor who once lived and died on a planet called Livia. At the end of the story were these words: "Lest we forget.' The story's byline read: "by Urgod." Though Tavnor never knew how Urgod answered his prayers, he and his beloved Livia had not been forgotten.
***

airobel (airObell) - a small flute like instrument with four thin reeds
Akolytes (ack`o-lites) - religious order for women
huvell (huh vell) - home/small dwelling
Livia (Lee-veea) - home planet
Maysa (May`suh) - Tavnor's deceased wife
Maya (May`uh) - Tavnor's daughter
Pietr (Pee`eh`truh) - Tavnor's son
weave (weeve) - hat weaved of grasses to protect from the elements
Urgod (Ur`ged) - main god


© Copyright 2007 Iva Lilly Durham (crankee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1241632-Lest-We-Forget