*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1243414-Musician-Equals-Hard
by Sam
Rated: E · Other · Music · #1243414
Who ever said playing the flute or any instrument is easy, I got news for them.
Who ever said playing the flute or any instrument is easy, I got news for them. It isn't. In fact I always say that singing is better and easier than playing an instrument because sometimes we have to sing our notes to get the right pitch. I mean yes, do re me fa so la te and do is a-b-c-d-e-f-g-a in the difference of choir to band.I am also not saying that singing is not extremely hard, it is! I was in choir before band and it is hard. But when people tell me that they can play that easy on an instrument, meaning the instrument I am not playing and they know, that is just disgraceful. Flute is very hard to play. All the different embrasures and fingerings, that goes for each note to play. I am supposing you don't know what in the world ambresure is . Even string instruments like violins and even banjos, have different fingerings, well positions with their fingers and their hands. So do woodwinds and brass instruments. I mean I play flute of course, you should know by now. No, when ever you hear a flute making wavy sounds with air, it isn't the flute itself, it's the flutist. Vibrato is what that is called, and all instruments have it, all the way to the piccolo to the bass. It is really hard on all the instruments, but the flute, it is the hardest, at least that is what I think. I mean do this, put your pointer finger on your lips horizontaly. Good, now frown and open the middle of your lips, keeping the frown, your lips are so small and round that only a mixing straw for coffee or a watermelon seed can fit into it. Stern and study! Congratulations, if you did that right you are making a sorta flute ambresure. Now blow really hard, not so hard your buzzing, it will wear down to a strong blow. Then stop the air in the chest repeatedly, er, just go "who" really fast. If you don't suck in air when you are saying who and do it smoothly, you've got vibrato. Now isn't that hard? If you say no I got news for you! It is when you are doing it every day for at least fifty minutes. But it is not as important as good tone and not being to sharp or to flat. I think for brass and winds it is all about the air, how fast the air moves is how great the sound will be. Most of the flute parts are for upper parts way above the staff. Meaning harder stronger smaller air. Oh, it can't be shrilly and sounding like a bloodcurlting scream. I also have to do vibrato up in those octives, harder than doing math calculus,and I am horrible at math!  Sheesh, I am amazed at James Gulway, who by the way is the best flute player in the world, no really seriously, he was sirred by the Queen for it! I am not just saying that flutes are hard! I just know about them more than the other some one-hundred and something instruments. I mean in the beggining I said that singing wasn't as hard as band or orchestra, it could be I don't really know. But I do know that if you can play even "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the piano, don't go saying music is easy because Ludwig van Beetoven could play the "Prelude and Fugue in G Major" better. That piece is as hard as hmmmm, lets see I know! Nothing you could probably play.

Conclusion? MUSIC IS NOT EASY! DO NOT GO AROUND TELLING PEOPLE IT IS!
© Copyright 2007 Sam (samsummer1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1243414-Musician-Equals-Hard