*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1243841-When-to-use-WLAN-WLAN-advantages
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Computers · #1243841
Advantages and disadvantages of wireless technology.
When to use WLAN? Why to use wireless? I will find answers on all these questions.

World has become increasingly mobile. Mobile phones have changed our word. But this is not enough.

We want to use much bigger bandwidth that mobile networks are offering. We want mobility and availability for our PCs also!
WLAN networks are offering bandwidth of 54Mbps. New standard 802.11n will offer us maximum of 540Mbps. I said “will” because standard isn’t released yet, but on market you can already find it.

With wireless connectivity you don’t have any restrictions, you can move freely in a range of wireless network. With laptops, palms and iPods you can enjoy full benefits of wireless technology. You just have to find Hotspot, and today, for sure, it isn’t problem.
If you want to implement network in your home or office, WLAN is great choice. You don’t have to demolish your walls for network jack. You don’t need to have cables all over your floor.
For meeting rooms and conference rooms, wireless is also an ideal choice.

Imagine your favorite coffee house, drinking coffee, checking mail and read news on internet. What about airports, train stations? Perfect places for Hotspots!

What are WLAN advantages comparing to traditional wired networks?

1) Mobility and Availability
To hook up to the network, you only need to open your laptop and push button to enable wireless network. That's all.
You don't have to worry about cable length or finding a plug. You just take your laptop no matter you go, living room in a sofa, working table, or toilet...

2) Cheaper and quicker deployment
Adding users is matter of configuration. It doesn’t involve making physical connections. You don’t have running cables, punching down terminals, patching new jacks. Wireless technology saves significant amount of money on cabling cost and labour. 
3) Increasing productivity
Result of researches show that wireless technologies have direct impact on productivity.

But you also have to be aware of WLAN disadvantages:

1) Limited number of users and lower bandwidth.
Wireless transmission is slower, less efficient and less reliable comparing to wired. Backbone is in most cased wired.

2) Less security
Wireless is more vulnerable for malicious attacks. So you need to use extra security.

3) Interference and lost of signal
Wireless network could interference with other wireless networks in the building and interference with other radio signals. It could cause to lower bandwidth or even to no connection - black spots. The reason for this is steel reinforcing materials.

If you want to find out more about wireless networks, visit
http://www.home-wlan.com
© Copyright 2007 homewlan (ibartolic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1243841-When-to-use-WLAN-WLAN-advantages