*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247171-Gracie
Rated: E · Prose · Writing · #1247171
This is a Tribute to a cat called Gracie.
Merit Badge in Attention to Detail
[Click For More Info]

For your Cat Stories Contest entry. Well done!




GRACIE

This is not a picture of Gracie, but this is what she looked like: her coloring was gray and white, with white booties on her ' feet '. She had the most remarkable emerald green eyes: exquisite pools of gazing green. After spending only a few moments in her presence, I had the distinct knowledge that this was not your ordinary cat.

She shared the household here with two male cats for several years . Then I moved in with her master over two years ago. At first I couldn't tell if she welcomed me or resented me: she never missed the opportunity to let me know: she had full reign. Whenever I would bend over she'd climb upon my back, then when I gently put her down she would 'bat' at me and hiss.

She would greet me in the morning at the bedroom door, then walk me to the kitchen for my morning coffee; all the while rubbing up against my legs purring loudly. There were times when she would even get underfoot to trip me up, then look at me indignantly!

Once she put her mark on her target of affections, there was no limit to her antics.
She would roll onto her back in front of my feet waiting for me to pet her.
She became my constant companion by; gracing my lap at the computer, bumping her head up against my hands as I typed out each letter, curling up at my feet and napping with me during the day.

She had a special love for helping me with household chores; her favorite being folding the laundry on the bed. She would insist upon getting smack into the middle of the pile. Then it was a tug of war to get her to give it up.

She was always right there to check out anything new that came into the house.
You could tell if it met her approval or not by her actions: if it did she would try to 'claim' it by possession this being part of her reign.

She had this strange fascination with my hair on the top of my head. If she could get the chance to lay her paws on it, next she tried sinking her claws. She never wanted to stop there tho; she had to try to bite it.
Most of the time she wouldn't give up until she got in a lick with her tongue.

She was ruler over the food servicer also; empty bowls did not go unnoticed by her. She would seek out her master & 'chatter and chew' until her demands were met. Sharing even some of our meals by seating herself at the table. Letting us know by the gaze in those exquisite emeralds that she mattered, and matter she did, and she always knew it, and she made it a point to let us know it.

Now she is gone; struck down by one of life's fates for cats.
We are missing her, and she will never be forgotten.



Word Count:505
© Copyright 2007 ShiShad (shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247171-Gracie