*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1249460-Why-the-United-States-Entered-WWI
by Creech
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1249460
Why the United States Entered World War One
Why the United States Entered World War I

by Andrew Creech
1917, was the year that the United States entered World War I. This was one of the most important events of 1917. There were several reasons that the U.S. entered this war, also called the Great War.
The first reason was the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915. The Lusitania was an unarmed passenger steamer and was presumed safe from German submarine threats. But they were wrong, and at 2:28 p.m. on May 7, 1915, it sank from the hit of a single torpedo. The Germans claimed that the Lusitania was being used by the British government to carry ammunition and other war supplies across the Atlantic. When the manifest was studied, it was revealed that there were in fact motorcycle parts, metals, cotton goods, food, 4,200 cases of rifle ammunition, 1250 cases of shrapnel, and 18 boxes of percussion fuses.
The second reason was because of the Zimmermann telegram that the English intercepted. The message, which was sent to Mexico, said that if Mexico helped Germany, they would, in return, help Mexico regain New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona.
The third reason, which was the last straw for the U.S., was when Germany sank four more American merchant ships. Finally President Wilson requested that Congress declare war on Germany. After Congress agreed, he summoned Americans to join the war by tell them that they could help, “make the world safe for democracy. Thanks to the U.S., the Allied forces were able to defeat the Triple Alliance.
© Copyright 2007 Creech (creech at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1249460-Why-the-United-States-Entered-WWI