*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1250340-His-Family
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1250340
A short-story depicting the life of two brothers
HIS FAMILY

-MICHAEL CROUCH


Jack arrived home from work and his brother was there to greet him. He looked sleepy eyed so he must have just woken up.  It was 6:30 in the afternoon.

“Hey jack, what’s up? How was work?” asked Steve

“Not bad,” he replied. The same old stuff.  You know how it is.”

“Yea.”

But Steve did not.  It was unusual for him to be up at this time.  It was a safe bet to find him watching TV or cooking the one meal he had everyday in the middle of the night  It was always spaghetti.  He would never eat anything else.  His hours were not that of the working man, and Jack was always worried about him.

“So what's up with you,” he asked Steve jokingly.  The joke was a tradition.  He made the jab whenever they talked to each other.  It was because he didn’t do much during the day.

“I’m looking for a job Jack.”

“Yea?”

“Yea, I could use some help.”

Obviously it wasn’t a joke this time.

“What do you have in mind Steve?” he asked. “I’ll help in any way I can.”

“Well thanks.  I was hoping maybe to find any job really.  Something that will let me earn a little bit of money.”

“Hm, well there’s got to be something.  Give me a sec to think.”

He paced around his living room now feeling proud of his brother just then.  Steve had never wanted to find a job before.  He must want to step up and start being productive.  It made him very proud.

But what of this job.  Perhaps he could make a phone call to one of his friends.  They might have something for him.  Maybe.  Yes, that was a good idea.

“Steve,” he yelled, “I think I can arrange something with a friend.  Are you sure you’re ok to work?

Yea,” replied Steve.  “I really am.  I need to do something”

His curiosity was building.

“Why Steve?”

“Why what,” he replied.

“I mean why the sudden need to do something?”

“Oh, no reason”, he said a little too hastily. “Say do you want some spaghetti?”

Now this was something.  Steve never ate spaghetti at this time.  He must have really spooked him.  He needed to find out why.

“Yea. You know what, I’m starving so lets eat”

And so they prepared spaghetti.  Jack wasn’t allowed to help.  His brother was very conscientious about germs.  That was fine. He understood.

They sat down to eat.  His brother had a knack at making spaghetti.  Just the right amount of parmesan cheese.  It was delicious.

“Jesus Steve, you have a talent for making this stuff.”

“It comes from practice,” Steve laughed.  “You know that.”

“I guess I do”

They finished eating and Steve insisted on doing the dishes.  Another surprise.  Steve never did other people’s dishes.  Too many germs.  His curiosity continued to grow.

“Steve, you’ve been a wonder tonight.  The spaghetti was great, the dishes clean.  I’ve never seen you like this before”

“I know, I decided I want to change” Steve replied.  “It’s time I start doing things”

“You know you don’t have to Steve” jack said. 

“Well, you’ve been taking care of me,” Replied Steve.  ”It’s time I start doing things for myself.  Things for you too.  ”

He was suprised.  This was a side he had not seen in his brother for a long time.

Steve pressed on.  He wanted to express himself more.

“You know that since the accident I haven’t been the same, but still, I can do things.  Maybe not as good as you, but still things.”

“Yes, I know Steve.”

Of course he knew, but he wanted to forget.  Mom and father dead, their little brother had flown through the window and died on impact.  It was just him and his brother now.  jack didn’t want to ever lose him.

His brother’s condition had been deteriorating over the past years.  The brain damage had been severe, the memory loss from the accident was hampering.  His behavior had changed, the doctors said it might, and although it had, he was still his brother, the one he loved, and the one he would always support.  Steve would do the same if the situation was reversed.  He was trying right now.

© Copyright 2007 Michael Crouch (michaelcrouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1250340-His-Family