*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1253445-Crick-and-Watson-Day
by IdaLin
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1253445
A teacher is faced with her worst fear.
Contest for Writer's Cramp using Administrative Professionals Day, and the Anniversary of the publication of the landmark study of DNA’s structure by Crick and Watson

Judy Stein looked over her class plan for today’s biology lesson. They would be discussing genetic mapping, and the implications for future society. It was one of her favorite areas of study since her college days. She smiled and remembered her freshman biology professor, Benjamin Estrella. He was only a little older than his students and he was a pioneer in the genetic mutation for fun and profit industry. She’d had a bit of a crush on him back then, with his bohemian attitude and occasional glimpses he gave into a future with instantaneous mutations and scientific breakthroughs. She had even dated him one semester in her senior year. She wondered where he was now, fifteen years later.

She read the calendar and made a vexed sound. Administrative Professionals Day? Ugh. Another one of those stupid made-up holidays where she’d have to pretend the Principal was a genius and say all the expected drivel about how wonderful it is to have him and all that nonsense. To tell the truth, she thought of him as little better than a Neanderthal. She had seen how he watched the high school girls in their short uniform skirts with a predatory glint in his eye. She always tried to keep watch on him, lest he act on any of his inclinations, she had seen too many like him in her years as an educator.

She ceased her mental griping when the class entered and took their seats. She was glad this first class was her junior honors AP class. They would at least act like they were interested in the subject, since they all wanted to get their advance credits lined up before they were going to apply to colleges in the fall. They were much more involved in their own lives as well. She didn’t mind the other students or even the remedial students, she just felt helpless to do anything to reach them, especially since so many of them were too drugged up, whether on doctor-prescribed anti-hyperactivity crap, or on stuff they found on the street, to care about life, let alone class.

She smiled, “Good morning. How are you all today?” She watched them as some smiled and some just looked bored. ‘At least they’re not asleep.’ She thought.

Crackle! Hiss, pop The PA system came on.
“This is Principal Weatherby, I would ask all teachers to please turn on their vid-screens. There is breaking news that I think everybody should hear for him or herself. In light of events, school will be released at Noon. Thank you”

The students murmured. Ms. Stein fumed. It was probably some publicity garbage. She turned on the Vid. What she saw made her mouth dry and her thoughts recede completely.

The newscaster was speaking, “We have had reports all morning of transformations on campus. It seems that once the mutagen was released, it began to act as a catalyst or some kind of virus and is spreading through the campus populace. We will keep you updated as events unfold and we learn more. Back to you Lisa.”

The screen switched to a newsroom. A pretty brunette spoke next. “It has happened. Someone with access to mutagens has been able to release them into society at large. There are no reports yet as to the scope and severity of this attack. It has not been determined if it is an act of terrorists or just someone with a terrible vendetta against Averdale University. Students have been changing since the first case was noted early this morning. The area around the school has been cordoned off and the students and faculty are being quarantined.”

“But what’s happening to them?” A panicky student asked.

Ms. Stein just shook her head. “We’ll just keep watching, maybe they will tell us.” She stared in disbelief and awe. She was frightened, too. Averdale had been her college, her Alma Mater. ‘Oh God.’ She thought, ‘It’s Benjamin.’

The scene on the vid changed, there was a reporter standing in front of Williams Hall, the main scientific lecture hall at Averdale. She was gesturing behind her. “Here is where the scientists say it must have begun. One of the professors kept his mutagenic study materials in this building. Colleagues describe him as brilliant, but a bit unsettled. Benjamin Estrella is the primary suspect for the cause of the release of what they are now calling the zombie factor, they’re not trying to eat their classmates, but they are all just staring into space, smiling.”

The scene changed again. This time it was Benjamin on the screen in handcuffs. Ms. Stein drew in a sharp breath. “This is the man the authorities are claiming is responsible for this tragedy.” The newsman began. “Mr. Estrella, why did you do this horrible thing?”

Benjamin Estrella’s face was covered in tears. “I didn’t... I…” He sobbed. “I wanted to release my notes today… You see, it’s the 100th anniversary... of the publication of the… landmark study… by Crick and Watson on the structure of DNA.” He sobbed again. “My assistant, he took the research specimens... and, and. Oh, God. Please forgive me." He couldn’t speak anymore and the police gently settled him in a squad car.

The scene returned to the newsroom. “This just in, we have found out that the mutation is not spreading. It seems to be isolated to the freshman biology class that was taught by Mr. Benjamin Estrella. Reports say he was not teaching today. His teaching assistant was going to be teaching the DNA structure and mutagenicity of genes. Apparently he went a lot farther. No one knows if any of the students are cognizant of what has happened, it may be weeks before we know anything.”

The vid returned to the campus. The reporter was wild-eyed. “They say now that the affected students are trying to eat each other. Oh my God, the police are firing their weapons!” The screen switched back to the newsroom.

“Our reports indicate that the students who have been exposed to the mutagen are being barricaded in a single building until authorities can contain the situation.” The blonde newswoman read calmly from the teleprompter. Her face a mask of concentration.

Ms. Stein sat heavily in her chair. “At least he didn’t do it intentionally.” She said quietly as a tear slid down her cheek. She thought about the parents and shook her head. She looked up at the class, who were all staring at her in fear and shock. She took a deep breath and attempted to pull herself together.

After a couple of tries, she managed to get out. “Class, this is the danger. When you know too little of unstable variables, the result can be catastrophic. The study of DNA and mutagenicity is a science still in its infancy. Things like this can happen when we explore new frontiers of science. That won’t help the students that were affected by this tragedy, but it may help you to understand just how important it is to be sure of what you are doing and who, exactly, you are working with.”

She sat back down and cried for the students and for Benjamin. She wasn't the only one.

*Flower1*
Word count: 1233 (Including prompt)
© Copyright 2007 IdaLin (conniefs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1253445-Crick-and-Watson-Day