*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1255304-Attempted-Letters-of-Love
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1255304
It's about two people who are in love, but love doesn't always win over everything.
My dearest Leo,
      I’ve read your letter only seconds ago and I plead you not to give up on us. Don’t you see? Elizabeth would want you to be happy. I would know. She wouldn’t want you to be heartbroken once again. If only there was some way for me to tell you...I feel Elizabeth’s thoughts. I feel her presence. It’s as if she were with me. Do you think that it was a coincidence that we met? Or that I am just like her in every way. You know how she finds it annoying when she always hears the ticking of a clock? And how she hates it when people don’t dot their i’s and j’s? How about when she gets so fed up when people confuse the use of the words “good” and “well”? Those are my pet peeves as well. And how do I know that those are hers? She’s with me. It isn’t a coincidence that you met me and that Elizabeth and I are practically identical clones! Think about it. The gods are giving us a second chance, literally. Think about the words I chose to write. I’m not trying to replace Elizabeth. I just want you to be happy.

                                                                                      With tender love,
                                                                                      Beth

Beth,
      Please don’t try to find me or persuade me anymore. We can’t be together. Yes, we are in love, but sometimes love isn’t enough. I just can’t let go of Elizabeth. I keep on thinking about her every night and how happy we were when we were in love. I promised her a good future and a happy life. I said I would protect her forever and I failed to do so. She didn’t let me help. Even if she did, I wouldn’t have been able to help her so she chose to spend the rest of her time with me instead. She must have known her leukemia wasn’t getting any better. I miss her so much. It hurts to be with someone so much like her. I don’t want to continue this. The pain is lagging on and I just want it to be over. I’m sorry, Beth. I’ve moved somewhere else and there is no return address. I hope you understand my decision as much as it hurts me to say goodbye for the last time.
                       
                                                                                          My last farewell,
                                                                                          Leo

Elizabeth’s POV:
      My tears drop silently onto the last letter Leo would ever send me. Why can’t he understand? Beth is me. I pleaded the gods to let me tell him before. When I died, the gods decided to see if our love was strong enough; if he was smart enough to figure it out. They reincarnated me as Beth and granted me permission to find Leo and try to give us a second chance. I just wasn’t allowed to tell Leo that I was Beth. I was so sure that I would succeed in getting Leo to understand without telling him directly. I tried so many ways. In the last letter I even told him that I was with Beth. He just didn’t understand what I meant. I never meant to hurt him more. I just wanted us to be together again. I don’t know whether to feel sad or angry. How could he not know? It was right in front of him. He did know that Beth was exactly like me. I guess it takes more than a miracle. His last words touch me. I never regretted not telling him about what was wrong. Why spend the days unhappily waiting for the end? For the last few weeks, I was happy just seeing him everyday. I was happy for the past year, living the fantasy that perhaps we could be together again. Some dreams never come true, but I just want him to be happy. If being together is too painful, then goodbye is a bittersweet ending.
© Copyright 2007 Jukixel (jukixel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1255304-Attempted-Letters-of-Love