*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1256700-Autistic-children-can-brush-their-teeth
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by aha
Rated: ASR · Non-fiction · Educational · #1256700
Step by step instructions to help autistic child brush their teeth.
Here are a few things that you will need to do before you start. Try to find toothpaste that your child will like. Many mint type toothpaste are over stimulating to autistic children. In to day’s market there are many options like, bubblegum, grape, blueberry. Then there is choosing the toothbrush. If your child just doesn’t like the feel of the toothbrush ask your dentist for other options. The best one I know about is a type of sponge on a stick. Remember the object is to get the teeth clean, and this does work. I do recommend that you try several different toothbrushes before you go to an alternative. I really want to emphasis that the only way this technique works is by being consistence. Often times I have seen children almost in their adolescent years still not able to brush their teeth. They are not being stubborn; they literally don’t understand the concept of why they have to brush their teeth.
The next important step is finding the same place for them to brush their teeth. The bathroom where they can watch their reflection is going to be the best place. You might feel that the kitchen sink might be the best place. The point is choosing a place where they feel safe, and they will be able to do the job. As stated before sometimes autistic children don’t understand the concept of why they have to brush their teeth, so this is how to teach them why they need to do it. You need to make sure that they brush their teeth after EVERY meal. This is really important, especially in the beginning.
The last thing you will need is a notebook. I will explain the reason for this as we go along.
1. After breakfast say something simple like “It time to brush our teeth.” Then take the child to the bathroom. One way children learn is by watching you. Take your toothbrush out and say, “Your turn”. Give them about ten seconds to complete this task, and then lightly guide their hand to the toothbrush. Do not forcefully make your child grab the brush.
2. Take the toothbrush and put the toothpaste on it. Make sure the child can see everything that you are doing. Then say, “You do.” Give them about ten seconds to complete this task, and then lightly guide their hand and help them put the paste on the brush. If your child starts to tantrum wait it out. I know that an autistic child can tantrum for a long time, but there is no other way to do this. Keep your patience, and you will start to see progress. Now this is the time to take out the notebook I want you to mark down what your child needs guidance with, and which steps they can do on their own. This is going to be very important to your sanity, trust me.
3. Start to brush your teeth, and then say, “Your turn.” Give your child about 10 seconds to do it by themselves. If they don’t put the brush in their mouth lightly guide them. Please remember not to force your child, and don’t do it for them. Make sure that they have the brush in their hands the entire time it’s in their mouth. They have to learn, you can’t brush their teeth for the rest of their lives. Keep this in mind. If they brush their teeth by themselves don’t critique them at first. The most important thing is for them to do this chore by themselves, and then show them the most hygienically way of brushing their teeth.
Now, take the notebook out and put down the time that you started, and the time you finished. Then write down what they can do. It should look something like this at first.
Started at 7 a.m. finished 7:18. Junior needs help with putting the brush in mouth and brushing teeth. The reason why you should keep a notebook is because I want you too keep track of the progress. There is one thing you should know, although I think you already do, after a few days you might notice a back track. I mean before things get better they might get worse especially if your child really doesn’t understand why they have to do this chore. If you keep a good record you will see the progress. Good-luck and never give up.
© Copyright 2007 aha (menesofegypt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1256700-Autistic-children-can-brush-their-teeth