*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1257545-Jesus-puts-us-in-our-place
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1257545
A short story based on Mark 9v33-37 and Luke 9v46-48
The disciples know something is up.  They know that their Rabbi Jesus is planning something and it’s going to happen real soon.  But what is it? 

When they first met him he was wandering along the beach by the Sea of Galilee, calling out and proclaiming, “The time has come”  - time for what? Dinner? Surely he is speaking about something much more important that that!  Off he goes again…“The kingdom of God is near.  Repent and believe the good news!”

Kingdom of God?  What on earth is he on about…but…its good news and there is just something about him that makes people either love him or hate him.  So when he turned to them and said “Come follow me.”  How could they refuse?  They were no-bodies, just plan, un-educated fishermen and here was a Rabbi, one of the most important people in society, accepting them and asking them to be a part of this kingdom. 

Time passes and Jesus has spoken many times about this kingdom and its imminent arrival, but they just don’t get what he is talking about.  And so, amongst the twelve they beginning to discuss, to debate about who is going to have what role when this kingdom finally arrives.  Perhaps Simon or maybe Andrew will be the leaders- but what about James or his brother John…all of them want to know – who will have the most prestige, who WILL be the greatest in the coming kingdom?

In a master stroke of genius Jesus gets a little child to stand before them all – while they are arguing about who will be the greatest and generating much tension in the group – and with quiet patience AND continuing confidence in the group of no-bodies, says plain and simple:

“Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest."
© Copyright 2007 The Bishop (thebishop at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1257545-Jesus-puts-us-in-our-place