*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1258674-Joanies-Blue-Crab-Cafe
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Contest · #1258674
a haibun for the Writer's Cramp---prompt:the South
Joanie's Blue Crab Cafe


         There isn't much left of Old Florida anymore, increasing population and rampant development turning most places into mall-like replicas of each other. But out on the Tamiami Trail in the middle of the Everglades sits Joanie's Blue Crab Cafe.

grey weathered boards
a missing step
swamp ambience



         Joanie always has a pot on of her famous lima-bean stew and the menu is heavy with frog-legs and alligator. If you're looking for fast food though, head east to Miami or west to Naples.


a bowl of stew
Indian fry-bread
slow food for the soul



         Joanie's decor is eccentric---no neon or chic fern-bar here. You'll find stuffed owls, nekkid lady art, and yes---alligators and more alligators---with live ones out back in the canal. You'll have time to drown a pitcher or two of beer, and perhaps swap stories with an Everglades angler, or German tourists. Just up the road is the Ochopee post-office---world's smallest---no toilet or A/C. Joanie's has both. Old Florida is disappearing fast, come before it all disappears.


we came to the garden
knew it as Paradise
built strip-malls on it


Written for: "The Writer's Cramp


Won the day's award!
© Copyright 2007 ridinghhood-p.boutilier (ridinghhood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1258674-Joanies-Blue-Crab-Cafe