*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1258833-Short-Christmas-Story
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #1258833
This was my first writing.
I  woke  up  early  on  Christmas  morning  and  couldn’t  believe  my  eyes.  There  were  no  soldiers  on  the  road,  no  tanks  and  guns,  no  sound  of  bombings.  After  5  long  years  would  I  have  a  real  Christmas  ...  I  wondered.  Yes  it  was  5  years  ago  that  it  all  started,  when  my  world  came  crumbling  around  me...
And  along  came  crumbling  down  the  walls  of  my  home  sweet  home  where  I  grew  up,  that  bridge  right  across  the  Jhelum,  that  bridge  on  the  foothills  of  most  premier  mountains  I  have  ever  seen,  that  bridge  which  was  reminiscent  of  my  imperious  childhood  because  I  grew  up  in  the  heaven  of  this  middle  earth.  That  bridge  which  seemed  so  unshakeable,  an  undefeatable  stalwart,  came  crumbling  down  unsolicited  along  with  hundreds  it  carried  every  day,  as  a  proof  of  submission  towards  inhuman  desires  of  this  ‘Humane’  world. 

The  war  made  me  feel  like  an  orphan;  it  made  me  feel  like  a  foreigner  stuck  in  a  strange  land  alone.  I  was  alone  in  my  own  land  because  I  favored  peace.  I  was  left  without  any  cult,  creed  or  religion  to  follow.  I  was  only left  to  hide. 
Somehow,  I  still  believed  in  everything  that  tried  to  spread  the  message  of  peace,  happiness  and  tranquility.  But  this  morning  it  felt  like  I  shared  my  thoughts  and  my  world  with  everyone else.  It  felt  different.
For  this  morning  I  woke  up  in  the  wake  of  my  dreams  present  in  reality,  the  delusion  of  peace  that  I  had  every  night  was  waiting  outside.
I  have  been  following  a  ritual  day  and  night  since  the  commencement  of  the  ‘great  war  of  the  Valley’  mainly  to  detach  myself  and  my  emotions  from  what  was  happening  outside.  I  turned  to  Music.  I  had  my  record  player  and  a  dingy  collection  of  old  ’70s  records,  a  heritage  from  my  father. 
On  the  Christmas  Eve  I  decided  to  play  a  special  record  that  played  a  special  song  which  said:
Imagine  there  are  no  countries,
It  isn’t  hard  to  do,
Nothing  to  kill  or  die  for,
No  religion  too,
Imagine  all  the  people
Living  life  in  peace...
......
...You  may  say  I’m  a  dreamer,
But  I’m  not  the  only  one,
I  hope  some  day  you'll  join  us,
And  the  world  will  live  as  one.

With  this  song  in  the  background,  I  lit  a  candle  and  I  prayed.  I  prayed  and  hung  a  sock  by  the  window  in  case  Santa  Claus  risked  coming  here.  I  prayed  and  offered  to  do  something  in  return  if  my  wish  was  fulfilled.  Then  I  increased  the  volume  of  my  music  player  and  slept  half  kneeling  on  the  foot  of  the  bed  only  to  wake  up  in  merry  Christmas.
Sometimes  in  the  morning  I  use  to  wake  up  in  the  midst  of  misleading  serenity,  which  was  soon  to  be  broken  by  the  sound  of  mayhem.  But,  this  morning  I  woke  up  in  the  sound  of  deafening  silence  and  it  stayed  a  little  longer  than  normal  such  that  I  did  not  need  my  music. 
Have  I  gone  deaf? 
  To  inspect  the  same,  I  decided  to  take  a  walk.  I  got  my  cap  on,  took  my  jacket  and  my  ragged  travel  bag  which  contained  every  thing  I  cannot  do  without  or  lets  just  say  that  it  contained  the  smidgen  of  my  humanity  and  the  legacy  my  difficult  life  had  bequeathed  –  my  records,  along  with  everything  necessary  for  my  survival,  that  bag  contained  some things  that  the  Great  War  was  yet  to  take  away  out  of  everything  I  cared. 
I  took  my  step  outside  and  the  world  seemed  to  be  on  the  mend.  It  was  snowing  slightly  but  the  sun  was  out.  The  Great  War  was  over.
It  felt  unadulterated  after  years  of  monotony.  The  world  seemed  calm,  it  felt  happy  ...  It  felt  real  Christmas.
I  met  some  people  and  wished  them  well;  I  talked  to  some  anxious  kids  and  gave  them  candies  I  had.  Then  I  saw  that  semi-broken  bridge  and  started  walking  towards  it.  I  knew  what  to  do.
I  stood  on  the  brink  of  that  hapless  bridge,  opened  my  bag  and  took  my  gun  out,  which  I  seized  from  a  dead  soldier  to  use  it  in  my  self  defense.  For  all  these  years  I  was  afraid  that  what  if  I  ever  required  to  use  it. 
I  threw  that  fear  as  far  away  as  I  can  into  the  river.  It  was  in  return  of  my  wish  I  prayed  for. As  the  previous  night  and  for  the  last  five  Christmas  eves  I  prayed  for  great  war  to  get  over  so  I  could  get  rid  of  my  fear  of  having  to  kill  someone and cataloging  myself as  just  another  being  part of  this  ‘humane’  world  with inhuman  desires.
My wish was finally fulfilled, I felt purged. 
I  closed  my  eyes  and  tried  to  hear  the  sound  that  river  made.  I  stood  there,  to  endure  the  gust  of  wind  coming  from  the  mountains.  I  stood  there  to  smell  the  fresh  air  of  my  freedom  in  peace. 

© Copyright 2007 freefall (freefall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1258833-Short-Christmas-Story