*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1259153-Moores-Island-Part-3
Rated: · Other · Other · #1259153
The long awaited chapter 3 is here!
Dawn of the second day came with the sound of Rusty's bell. The sailors who had been on watch ate a hasty meal and retired to their bunks on the ship. Valerie and her father met the captain to discuss the coming day's work.

"I want you to sort through the seeds we brought for the garden and plan how it is to be laid out", Vincent told his daughter.
The captain spoke up," I've got two boys, cousins from farm country, who will break ground for you later on today. Ethan, Jeremy,"the captain hollered. "Boys, you'll be breaking ground for the young lady after lunch. You'll do a good job or answer to me."
"Aye, Captain", the boys replied, and went back to eating. Victor looked over at the boys for a few moments then turned back to the captain. "Those boys are little more than striplings, are you sure?"

"Aye", said the captain,"they been missin home something fierce and this is just what they need to take their minds off of jumpin' ship at the next port."

The crew finished eating and went to work getting the logs ready for use by chopping off branches and piling them to one side. The frame for the roof went together quickly using rope from the supplies brought from the ship. Palm fronds were lashed together to make a watertight roof and was soon hoisted into place and tied down. The crew worked together with a few words grunted now and then. The walls were constructed so that they were six inches shy of the eaves to allow for circulation. A few crewmembers were making flexible room dividers by stripping the bark from saplings and lashing them together. Valerie went among the men, now and then, with a bucket of cool spring water. By noon the men were ready for a break. Some plunged into the sea to cool off while others sat in the shade.

Rusty, being the closest thing to a ships doctor, had made up a pot of insect repellant in his biggest pot. He made an infusion from a burlap bag that held marigold petals and the men dipped their shirts into it and hung them on nearby bushes to dry during the break.

Valerie approached Rusty quietly. "Rusty?, she said hesitantly, "Do you think it would be alright if I caught some crabs for supper?"

Rusty replied,"Little miss, if'n thats what ye want, then I'll get ye what ye need ta do the job right."
He handed Valerie the burlap bag and found a sturdy pole for her to use. She headed off down the beach with her tools. She hadn't gotten very far when a shout was heard farther down the beach. She could only see a smudge in the distance but it was coming towards her quickly. Rusty was beside her in a heartbeat, one hand holding her back while the other gripped a pistol. The crew, having grabbed what weapons they could, surrounded the pair and waited.

A slender figure halted just short of the men, out of breath and wild-eyed. It was a young boy and his face was full of fear. His hair was shoulder length and dirty. His clothing was torn and he was shaking uncontrollably. One arm dangled uselessly. He used the other to wave back down the beach but before he could utter a single word he colapsed in a heap.

© Copyright 2007 Doc Bones (biscuitboar65 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1259153-Moores-Island-Part-3