*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260522-My-Brother-The-Flash
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1260522
The year my brother dressed as The Flash for Halloween.
         Odd thing about siblings is that one can never quite figure them out.  One would think that growing up with someone would qualify them as something of an expert on another person.  I mean, you see them day in and day out, talk with them, eat with them, argue with them so that at a certain point one starts to pick up on someone’s little “quirks”, the idiosyncrasies that make up that person.  This is certainly true of sisters.  Women, for the most part, love to talk, discussing everything from the days events to relationships.  So it would stand to reason that sisters are, or should be, much closer.  Brothers on the other hand are not so forthcoming with personal matters.  They tend to play their cards close to the chest, never revealing what they truly feel inside.  On the outside is usually brashness.  Lots of joking, rough-housing and other manly pursuits.
         Take my brother for instance.  He seemed a normal person for intents and purposes.  We were as close as any other pair of brothers were, which meant not really close at all.  But living with him, which is an act of fortitude in an of itself, I started to understand him in ways only a brother could.  I knew what he liked to eat, watch on television, what his favorite sport was, and what he liked to do for fun.  I was something of an expert on my brother, or so I thought.
         One year, we were teenagers at the time; he decided that he wanted to go out as a superhero for Halloween, but which one?  I, being that I read and collected comic books, suggested that he go out as Superman.  Aside from the fact that he was my favorite, he was the most popular hero of them all.  He stood for truth, justice and the American way. Yes, the American way, back when it was ok to say that.  He disagreed and said that Batman was the better choice.  Dark, mysterious, and more popular since a new Batman movie just hit the theaters.  I said that Batman would be everyone’s choice that year for the very same reason.  Well, let me tell you that it quickly turned into an argument.  I just couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t take my advice.  I mentioned numerous heroes he could have gone out as, but for everyone I mentioned he thought of another.  I felt all of his choices were lame at best.
         At one point I blurted out that he should go as the Flash.  It was an of-handed comment; I really didn’t think he would take it seriously since all my other choices were shot down in flames.  He stopped short for a moment and seemed to consider my suggestion with some genuine interest.  After a few minutes he told me that it was a brilliant idea.  Well, I was quite proud of myself just then.  Did my brother actually pay me a compliment?  Did he actually say that something I said was brilliant?  Let me write that on the calendar so I don’t forget it. 
         So I eagerly awaited Halloween; anticipating the day that my brother, on a suggestion from me, would show up in his costume of the Flash.  And the day did come, and he walked into the house with a package with that, I assumed, contained the unitard of the scarlet speedster we all knew.  He announced that he was going to his room in order to change and get ready for trick-or-treating.  It was a little early as it was daylight outside.  He said that he wanted to make sure that everyone could see him clearly in his new costume.  And with that he went to his room and shut the door to change.  I looked outside and saw a few kids in costume being escorted by their mothers.  A little early I thought, but those with younger children probably decided that it would be safer and less frightening if they took their young ones out while the sun was still up. 
         In time, my brother emerged from his room ready for the night ahead.  Though, I was taken aback to see him in only a trench coat and sneakers.  We just stared at him in mute surprise as he walked through the kitchen towards the door.  With a wave of his hand he bid us all a fond farewell and went out the door without a bag for collecting candy.

         I was, at first, a bit puzzled. 
© Copyright 2007 Marcos Aurelio (mg1968 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260522-My-Brother-The-Flash