*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1264611-Excellence
by Gene
Rated: E · Editorial · Philosophy · #1264611
Just what is excellence?
Excellence is a buzz word of consumer-based industries. It seems to be popping up more frequently all over. Excellence in service, product, and sales is promoted and touted as the way to deliver business. Analysts studying market trends have determined the key to success is providing “excellence”, whatever that means. The demands, expectations and whims define their excellence.

I am certain excellence was never intended to be used in such a context. Over-use of the word has caused it to lose its meaning and relativity. Excellence evokes a much higher level of merit. I define excellence through pride, courage, honor and valor. Excellence is not easily attained. Unselfish personal sacrifice made for the benefit of others demonstrates the foundation of excellence.

I equate excellence with veterans and their acts to protect and defend America. I am grateful to American veterans for their sacrifices made in serving our country. We live in the benefits of their courage. Let us never forget the many that gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we may enjoy our freedom, liberty and way of life. Their efforts are more appropriately described as excellence. It is the type of excellence I hold with the highest regard and deepest respect.

Hero comes to mind with the word excellence. There were heroes on Sept. 11 when terrorists attacked America. They were heroes because they gave their life to save others. There were so many that did so without a thought. Some were just doing their jobs; others were just putting others before themselves. Their excellence will also never be forgotten.

Parents caring for physically and mentally challenged children are people who live excellence. They attend to the special needs of their children everyday. Some have needs that are enormous and endless. The needs consume both parent and child. These parents sacrifice much out of love and would gladly change places with their child if they could. The unconditional love given under these circumstances is most certainly excellence.

I see excellence in the people who battle with illness. Their tenacity and fortitude gives value to life itself. The power of the human spirit is visible in these people and is definitely contagious. Inspiration flows from people who are given difficult burdens. No challenge is too vast or colossal knowing someone else has a greater one. Surely the strength of the human spirit is excellence.

There are many places where excellence exists in the everyday life of people. But not everything described as excellence really is. Sorting through what is and what is not isn’t easy. It is not some new promotional marketing tool. In fact, it doesn’t have anything to do with business at all. It is not associated with material world ideas or things. It contradicts them.

I do not understand the full depth or meaning of excellence. I want to learn to recognize it, embrace it, and get to know it better. The small flashes and glimpses of it are inspiring. It enriches and feeds one’s soul. True excellence instills hope in what is to come. Excellence is eminently good for us all.
© Copyright 2007 Gene (geneb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1264611-Excellence