*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267362-Garden-of-Eden
by Shelly
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Biographical · #1267362
One of my experiences during Desert Storm.
Reflecting on a place I visited over fifteen years ago normally would portray only a few tarnished snapshots for me; however, my remembrance of Bahrain lives not only in the forefront of my mind, it resides permanently in the tapestry of my soul.

What precipitated my visit to Bahrain was some much-needed leave time from my duties near the front.

Bahrain is believed to be the "Garden of Eden" by some theologians and historians. Traveling the lengthy bridge from the parched terrain and uninviting land/community of Saudi Arabia, which was less than desirable, was full of anticipation. Seeing the welcoming shores and abundant green vegetation was surely a mirage—“The Garden of Eden". In retrospect, it is an island oasis surrounded by a sea of imminent danger and war-ravaged lands.

My first recollection was the indescribable teal-colored waters that serenely lapped upon its shore. The enchanting golden haze that hung on its horizon was surely King Solomon’s treasure looming in the distance. Under my bare feet, I felt the fine desert sand and a warm gentle breeze tempered my body. Gazing out into its distance, I became mesmerized. I observed dark wooden vessels, still resembling the fishing crafts from the days of Christ, hauntingly sailing upon its still waters. I was taken back to a place in time that was so surreal and full of revelations.

Returning back to the front, the Garden of Eden became real for me. I pondered the conclusion of the world's birthplace, ironically to be its final resting place.
© Copyright 2007 Shelly (maryhall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267362-Garden-of-Eden