*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1268549-WLAN-formation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Computers · #1268549
In WLAN formation I will show you basic definition and explanations of WLAN.
In WLAN formation I will show you basic definition and explanations of abbreviations you have heard hundred of times.
WLAN networks consist of:
1) Distribution system - combination of bridging engine and backbone network.
2) Access Point - performs wireless to wired bridging function.
3) Wireless Medium - for exchanging frames between stations and backbone.
4) Station - PCs, laptops and other devices with wireless network card.
The basic block of 802.11 networks is BSS - Basic Service Set. This is group of stations that communicate only between them.
There are 2 types of BSS:
Independent BSS networks or ad hoc. Only stations without Access Point. You can setup your WLAN home network, even without AP.
Infrastructure BSS networks - stations use Access Point for communication between them. Why do we actually use Access Point, if it is not essential? There are few reasons for that:

- Access Point bridges wireless word to wired. So without Access Point you do not have a connection to the rest of the world.

- Longer range. Range of Infrastructure BSS is defined by the distance between station and access point. In Ad-Hoc network range is defined by distance between stations.

- With Access Point, stations save power. When station enters a power-saving mode, access point buffers frames for it.

Extended Service areas- ESS -connects BSSs with backbone network. ESS connects stations with rest of the word - Internet.

From user’s prospective, WLAN is Wireless Ethernet. Network administrators have to know that frame delivery is unreliable, comparing to wired networks. Because that, 802.11 standard requires a numbers of additional services and more complex framing.
If you want to find out more about wireless security and wireless technology visit
http://www.home-wlan.com
© Copyright 2007 homewlan (ibartolic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1268549-WLAN-formation