*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269393-The-Buyer
by Fred
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1269393
a flash fiction story for a contest
         “Well, I don’t know. They are kind of expensive. It is just not what I was expecting,” I looked skeptically at the group of nanobots and the sculpture they were building.

         “What did you expect? They are almost done in record time and they are following your specs to the T. What more do you want?”

         “Oh sure, they got the job done, but look at this guy here, he is not even doing anything. You want me to pay for that?”

         For a moment there was a flash of anger across his face, and then everything was normal again. “Like I said before, this group of nanobots was designed specifically for your artwork per your specifications. That one right there is slaved to the creativity algorithm that you gave us. He is thinking creatively for the whole group.”

         “I don’t know, I kind of liked the head better the way it was.”

         “What do you mean? This was your idea, you gave them the commands yourself!” I could tell he was getting angry now.

         “Well,” I paused, “I wanted them to create something new, but I thought they would create something good. This happy face is just kitsch, this stuff is better suited for lampshades,” I said calmly, “I guess what I am saying is that this group really isn’t worth the exorbitant price you are asking for.”

         I could see panic crawl across his face. If I did not buy this nanobot group, it is unlikely someone else would. The last three months would have been a colossal waste. He choked on the words, but he got them out, “What would be a reasonable price?”

         I smiled as I walked away with the bots in my pocket. Silly little man, these bots may create kitsch, but kitsch sells.


(300 words)

© Copyright 2007 Fred (ralchizar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269393-The-Buyer