*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270988-Animalia-Chapter-1An-Encounter
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1270988
First part of a story put up for reviews.
Luke the chinchilla valiantly carried his spoils back from the field. His mission had been to gather metal scraps from the human places in order to provide weapons for Animalia. The ruck sack weighed heavy on his shoulders and his own sword wagged at his side. He carried himself in such a way as to present courage and chivalry. All his protection was in a small shield which usually wasn’t needed on missions like these, out of safety though he carried it just in case. Luke stopped for a moment to look around. He walked to a leaf not yet brown with age seeing that it had a couple drops of water on it. He drank to his health. After he was done he wiped of his mouth with his arm and continued on.
Animalian swords had, for years, been forged from scraps left by humans, as several animals learned the craft of metallurgy. These missions to the village of men were an integral part of Animalia. Defense of Animalia depended upon it, with every male and female carrying at least a sword. All were trained in basic sword fighting, some learned extra skills used in the militia for in times of turmoil.
Luke walked on having a sense of being watched, there were also noises to accompany the feeling. He walked on trying to not pay attention. After a while he grew weary of this stalker, he stopped, twirled around and drew his sword in the process. “Show your self ” he yelled.
All that was responded to him was a slight rustle and suddenly a small boa jerked out. Luke was able to stop its mouth from closing around him but he wasn’t able to stop the snake’s body from constricting around him. With every breath Luke felt the crush of the snake’s body. He felt he had no escape, he was certain now was the time he would die, the scaly body of the boa buried into Luke’s thick coat of fur. He took one last breath before he knew he would be dead and another rustling came from the bushes, he was sure it would be some other snake ready to finish him off.
Instead what he saw was a lean looking mongoose running full speed towards the snake. It uncoiled to ready for battle and Luke got a great breath of relief. The mongoose and snake began to trade blows as Luke struggled to get to his feet. The snake’s scales flew left and right and the mongoose’s face dripped blood. Luke slowly realized what was really happening. He threw down the ruck sack full of metallic shards and pulled up his sword. The snake’s scales protected it most of the way however the white underbelly had little protection. The snake had no regard toward Luke as he ran with the sword fully extended. Once the steel pierced the snakes skin, he finally realized his fate. He let out a yelp of finality, his eyes went wide as possible, and his tongue hung out of his mouth. As Luke pulled his blade out of the snake, blood pulsed out. In all this craziness he realized he hadn’t yet caught his breath from being squeezed so hard. The sword dropped to the ground and so did he.
The mongoose wiped its face on the ground to get most of the blood off, or at least out of his eyes. He went over and picked up the chinchilla with his mouth, he tossed the little thing on his back and grabbed its ruck sack. He assumed this one came from Animalia so he walked on to the kingdom. At the watchtowers he was greeted by two chipmunks with arrows pointed at him.
“Who goes there?” the one on the left questioned.
The mongoose sat the ruck sack on the ground and replied, “Scar, found this one out in the forest bein’ attacked by a snake. He killed it but passed out. Found this thing with ‘im.” he pointed to the ruck sack.”
“Alright, that’ll be Luke then I guess. Take the ruck sack out by the smith and drop him by the infirmary. You remember where them places is right?” the right chipmunk proclaimed.
“Aye.”
Scar moved along into the kingdom. Mice and chipmunks moved hurriedly along in the streets, going about their busy days. This section of Animalia was dubbed Little Mam all the smaller Animalian lived here. The larger lived in Grande. All the inhabitants on Animalia lived in homes in the sides of the hills. The doors were rectangular and a brown wooden color. Most homes had chimneys for fire places. The main marketplace was bazaar style, all goods were placed out for sale by merchants. Several places, such as the blacksmith and infirmary were in home style stores. Their doors had on them the symbols of the service provided on the inside. Little dirt roads ran through the kingdom and composed the infrastructure of Animalia. All transactions were in the form of trade. The merchants used their traded items to trade for other things. Most food was grown in the kingdom’s vast array of gardens and many worked at them.
Scar dropped the sack next to a building with a several chimneys, a big anvil carved into the wooden door marked it as the black smith. A badger ran out and got the ruck sack, waved a thank you toward the mongoose, and went back in. He went on further into the kingdom, many acknowledged his presence, as it was not usual for the larger animals to come into Little Mam. Scar had also not been in Animalia since the last wars ended. Scar dropped Luke off in front of a small door with a cross engraved on it. He pawed the door to make sure they would come and left. This was not where he belonged anymore.
A small mouse came out of the door and looked at the fainted chinchilla then at the departing mongoose and smiled. She guided Luke into the infirmary as he had regained a lot of his power. She led him into a small room where she checked him for anything serious. She gave him a clean bill of health when he was fully awake. He wanted to thank his savor, but, as the mouse told him, he had left and it was difficult to find him outside of Animalia in the wild lands.
Luke walked outside and took a deep breath of air, he wasn’t sure what he would do that. He checked his side and realized his sword was back with the dead snake. Seeing as how he couldn’t very well go back there he went to the smith. The old badger’s name was ironically Smith, so being Smith the smith he made all metal items which were mostly weapons. As Luke entered the door with the anvil engraved on it a smell of fire and heat came onto him. He approached the clang of a hammer on steel and found himself face to face with Smith.
“Yea boy, whatcha lookin’ fer?” he asked
Luke considered for a moment then gave his reply, “I need a sword sir, I lost mine today. I’m also sorry to have not brought back the steel, had a run in with a snake out in the fields.”
“Your friend brought the steel back, so you need’nt worry. As for the sword, due to your bravery and me still gettin’ ma steel I’ give ya one.” he put down his old hammer and went to a closet at the back of his shop. He came out with a gleaming two-handed for the chinchilla.
“I don’t know sir.”
“Ye’ve earned it. Plus now that yev made yer first kill wouldn’t want ya gettin weaker by keepin to the same old little rapier.”
“Thanks.” it was all Luke could say. He took the two-handed, untied the old sheath, put it on Smith’s table, then tied his new sword on. He felt a sense of pride now with his new sword. He wanted to go have some fun with it.
© Copyright 2007 Jordan Norton (commoner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270988-Animalia-Chapter-1An-Encounter