*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271888-Nessie
by Dlephi
Rated: E · Fiction · Mythology · #1271888
My winning entry to Flash Fiction contest.
Mense slowly threaded her way through the twisting caverns.  She had swum through the mazelike passageways a thousand times before, and would likely swim through them a thousand times again.  The last sea dragon alive, and she was trapped in this pitifully small loch.

Morosely, Mense dragged her once strong and lithe body through the subterranean caves.  Her sleek scales were dulled by time and lack of care.  Her eyes had lost the bright twinkle that used to be so attractive.

Suddenly Mense heard a sound – a call!  It sounded like another sea dragon’s low-pitched hum, coming from far above  Oh, but it was so faint.  Immediately Mense rushed to the hole in the roof of her caves where she could come out into the main part of the loch.  Mense hesitated at the entrance – she hated to go out into the open water.  But what if there was another sea dragon there?

Mense swam upward eagerly, searching her loch for the source of the vibrating sound.  It was even farther up, maybe even next to the surface!  Again Mense paused, but she determined to continue up towards the surface of the water.  The humming was closer now, but it had started to sound different somehow.

Mense stretched her lengthy neck up towards the hated light, hoping against hope to find a companion to spend the lonely years with her.  Suddenly she saw it – the small square of metal that so often frequented her loch.  She couldn’t believe it.  The beautiful humming was created by this awful…thing?  Devastated, Mense slowly sank back down to her lovely, dark chambers…

And disappeared.
© Copyright 2007 Dlephi (ebbuttercrunch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271888-Nessie