*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272168-Idaris
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1272168
Submission for Science Fiction Flash Contest
A short piece written for:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1240927 by Not Available.


         They called him Idaris.
    When the reptilian-like army nearly exterminated  their planet  and scoured their mineral resources, the lone  Idaris went forth to the land's most desolated region  and waited for guidance.
         A bumbling  demented fool, everyone had called him. Always running off to the farthest distance in order to find some form of mythical answer for  everything. After all, they were at war and they could not afford to lose another potential addition to their nearly depleted force.
         “Let him go!” Orbo, the battalion leader finally said. “He won’t get very far! His punishment will be his fate!”
         After a day of rest, they moved on to the east where they would likely meet their demise. Roars of the arrogant  creatures swept through the rugged hills ahead, advancing effortlessly through this torrid  terrain. Still, Orbo's determined battallion didn’t flinch. They held their stick-like posture and marched on with their allegiance flags only hoping to live another day.
         When the scaly creatures spilled out of the hills, Orbo shouted. “Attack!”
The ground quaked beneath them and  as the laser blasts from the reptilian army collided with Orbo’s crew, one by one, infiltrating into their meager efforts, the blasts just as quickly had ceased.

     
         In what felt like  seconds  later, Orbo found  himself  lying on a hard cold surface.  Disoriented and confused by the sudden silence, he managed to sit up and see one of the familiar faces of his troops. The troop rushed to him. “General Orbo, how are you feeling sir?”
         “What happened?”
         “Only the most miraculous experience! Idaris offered sacrifice of himself to the  Great Warrior and was granted peace! The ground just opened up and consumed the creatures!”
         Later Orbo watched his men mill around this tribute statue and shook his head in newfound respect. “Bumbling fool.”
                                         
                                                  300 WORDS
© Copyright 2007 Alex Alvarado (darkknight99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272168-Idaris