*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274649-Next-Time
by megan
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Relationship · #1274649
obstacels of 2 young lovers
MINNA

         “Do you wanna come to the beach house this weekend or not?” Sandy asked impatiently.

         “How many times must I say this? I WANT to go, but it’s not up to me, it’s whether my parents will let me go or not.” I snapped.

         “Sorry, my parents are just getting on my nerves. Could you ask them tonight and then call me?” she asked.

         “Sure, no problem, I think they’ll let me go. I don’t see why not, it’s not like there’s going to be any boys sleeping over too or anything.” I said.

         “Uh, yeah,” Sandy replied hesitantly. I guess that should have been my first clue that she was up to something, but I didn’t realize it then. “Let’s just get back to the game,” she said as she shuffled her growing deck of cards.

         We were sitting at a table in Starbucks, while Sandy’s mom went all around to who-knows-where getting supplies for the big dinner she was making tonight. I was obviously going to win this pick-up game of spit, but Sandy kept playing.

         “So, anything new happen with Darrel?” I asked incredulously.

         “NO Minna, nothings happened and ….”

         “What? Do you think you’re finally over him?” I asked.

         “Well, I’m on the road to recovery to say the least,” Sandy replied sheepishly.

         “A high-five!” I said in my best Borat accent. We broke into hysterical laughter at this and when we finally stopped, I looked around the café while Sandy shuffled the deck for another round. None of the normal familiar faces were around, so I got bored quickly. But just as Sandy was about to deal the deck, he walked in. It had been 5 months since we met in person for the first time, and that was the only time we had ever seen each other face-to-face. Though we barely knew each other in person, we talked online or on the phone almost every day, until something changed.

         My first instinct was to try and hide, but then I thought better of it. He hadn’t seen me in 5 months, and I had changed so much since then, mostly because of him. I looked at Sandy and pleaded with my eyes for her to stay quiet, especially since she hadn’t changed since our last encounter and she had gone to school with him for 3 years.

         Her golden eyes flew over to him and then widened, making her look like a child. She stuck up her hand to pull the cabby hat she was wearing, over her face. She crossed her arms over her chest to hide the ratty old Crystal Lake t-Shirt she was wearing, in case he might look over and read it, and then she sat quietly, hunched over.

         I stayed how I was, figuring he wouldn’t recognize me. Thankfully I was right. He grabbed his drink and left the store. The minute he hopped into a car with a parent in it and drove away, I finally let out the breath I realized I had been holding in for the whole time he was around.

         “Oh my god, that was weird.” Sandy said as she returned to shuffling the deck of cards and sitting normally.

         “Tell me about it. He has the worst timing in the world!” I exclaimed as Sandy pulled up her hat.

         “Yeah, I’m surprised he didn’t recognize us,” she agreed. “Well me at least. You’re so different from the last time he saw you, in a good way of course,” she added hurriedly as I gave her a look.

         “Yeah, I know…it’s just…” I stammered, trying to think of what I wanted to say. “I thought I was over him, but just seeing him for real and him being in the room is enough to make me want to jump up and run to him. I hate that he makes me feel that way, and I love it at the same time. You know what I mean?” I asked her.

         “Unfortunately I do,” she replied. “But, I bet if you come to the beach house this weekend, everything will be resolved and things will all work out.”

         “What does that mean?” I asked suspiciously.

         “You know, like, the time away and the ocean will help you sort things out,” she stammered.

         “Whatever, I hope you’re right. Who knew being 15 could be so complicated.”

         “Well technically he’s 16,” Sandy said.

         “You know what I mean,” I said.

         As I watched his car drive away, I got the feeling that he saw us.



JARED

         I saw her today. I don’t know if she saw me too, but she was with Sandy, and Sandy definitely saw me. The way she hunched over and tried to close herself off. I got the message loud and clear ‘not yet Jared, wait 2 more days and everything will work.’ God, I hate waiting, but when I saw her in there, it was like I needed to go talk to her, to try and make things right. I hated the way I needed her and I especially hated the way I pushed her away, but I had to, it was the only way that things wouldn’t go to fast. I felt so strongly about her, it was hard not to think about her.

          “Are you even listening to me?” My mom asked, annoyed.

        “What? No, sorry, I was thinking,” I said, which seemed to be enough for her, she started talking again, and I added the occasional nod and ‘oh yeah.’
I can’t believe I saw her again, she was more beautiful then I remembered her… Her wavy, silky brown hair just inches below her shoulders. She was wearing a shirt that showed off her tan, tight back and I didn’t get to see her face, but I know what it looks like, even more beautiful then it was 5 months ago. God! Why does she have this effect on me? I wish she was just another girl, but she isn’t. I feel so connected with her, even though we only met once. But, if Sandy’s plan works, things will be better.

    My parents loved the idea of me going to the beach house with the Hall’s. Sandy made sure her parents agreed, and then she worked to get Minna to come, which wasn’t hard seeing as they are best friends.

      Only 2 more days Jared; 2 more days until you see her.


*under construction but here's some*


MINNA

         “So, is that a yes or a no?” I asked my mom hopefully.

         “It’s exactly what I said, ‘we’ll see’!” she replied with mounting annoyance, “and if you ask me again, it’s a definite no.”

         Taking her threat to heart, I slid off my chair and went down the hall to my room. I needed to do something to calm my thoughts, but what? I decided on watching mind-numbing TV, but before I could hit the on button, my phone rang.

         “What is it now?” I asked Sandy shortly. How much trouble could one person get into in two hours?

         “Well hello Ms. Pissy-pants. I was just wondering, being the gracious friend that I am, if you and your parents would like to come to dinner tonight with my family and 3 other guests.” Sandy replied in a cheery voice.

         “Who would the other 3 be? It’s a definite no if it’s the Singers and their mom. Especially after last time,” I groaned at the memory.

         “No, it’s not them, it’s a surprise,” Sandy laughed into the phone.

         “Well, I’d like to know who it is before I go and ask my mom, who, by the way, is already a little pissed.”

         “I’m not telling. You’ll just have to come and find out. Let’s just say it has to do with the beach trip.”

         “Will I enjoy this little surprise?” I asked with mounting excitement.

         “I think so.”

         “Fine, I’ll go ask my mom,” I said as I gave into Sandy’s persuasion.


JARED

         After we left Starbucks, my parents forced me to go to a youth group party. It’s not like we actually talk about God, though that’s what my parents believe, we just hang around and sometimes things get a little out of hand. Sometimes someone brings the occasional beer, but I never drink it; I don’t know why, but after I met Minna, I knew I never would.

         God! I hate this effect she has on me. Maybe if we just let things lie, maybe we’d still be happy. But is it something that I’m willing to risk? Am I willing to put my heart out there and get hurt?

         “You planning on getting out anytime soon?” my mother asked impatiently.

         “What? Oh, wow, we’re here already,” I stammered as I climbed out of the car.

         “We’ll pick you up at 7,” my father said.

         “But it ends at 9,” I said.

         “I know honey, but the Hurber’s called and invited us to dinner. They said the other family whose daughter is going to be on the trip is going to. They said it would be a good time to talk and get acquainted.” My mother stated as she tried to get my dad to drive away.

         “Well, I don’t need to get acquainted with them, and I already know Skye, so why do I have to go?” I asked, sounding a little whinny.

         “The girl, what’s her name again?” my dad asked.

         “Minna,” I replied.

         “Right. Anyways, Minna’s going to be there too, so since you don’t know her all that well, we thought it would be as great time for you to get to know her better before the trip.”

         “Oh, ok. So, I’ll be out here at 7?” I asked.

         “Yeah, we’ll pick you up then.”

         I waved and then walked into the school, where we met for our annual parties. I was excited about seeing Minna again, but I was also so nervous. Sandy sure has a way of interfering, sometimes it can get in the way, and it did the first time.


MINNA          

         I sat on the beach, trying to sort out my thoughts. Why was he here? Did Sandy plan this? What am I going to do; things are going to get out of hand. Does he feel the same way for me as I do for him? Is he still friends with Lesley? Has he saved himself as I have?

         The thoughts went through my head. All unanswerable with out him, and then I realized I wasn’t alone.

         I jumped up and turned around, afraid it was Sandy’s creepy neighbor, but I wasn’t sure if who was standing there was a worse or better alternative. Jared stood behind me in running shorts and a t-shirt, his eyes quickly waking up from sleep, and his hair was ruffled from restless dozing. Maybe, he does think the same things I thought.

         “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to scare you. I called your name, but you didn’t respond, I just wanted to make sure you were okay,” he said sincerely.

         As much as I knew he meant it, I couldn’t let the past go away without some confrontation. I pulled down my shorts a bit and was thankful that I had decided to keep on a sports bra under my white tank-top. He stared at me while I replied “What do you care?”

              He looked like I had slapped him, “is that what you think? That I don’t care?” he asked.

            “Well, you and I haven’t had a good track record recently.” I said coldly, surprised at the hurt that I was feeling. I thought I was over him, but it took everything in me to not touch him.

            “I know but I want things to be different,” he said sadly.

            “Are you still friends with Lesley?” I asked and spat out her name
.
            “Yes, but that shouldn’t matter! Me being friends with her has nothing to do with the way I feel about you.” He shot back.

            “Oh yeah, and what’s that? A lying, manipulative bitch that has nothing better to do than make your life and your precious Lesley’s life a living hell? Because that’s what you said the last time you talked to me.” I shot back, more angry with him than I had ever been in my whole life.

            Once again, I shocked him with my response. “No…I never thought that.” He said, defeated.

            “Yeah? Then why did you tell me that? Do you know how much that hurt me?” I waited for a response, but he only continued to look out at the gentle waves lapping at the shore. I turned and faced the sea and continued, “you made me feel worse than anyone ever had in my whole life! You chose to believe that lying bitch who said I called her a slut, even though it wasn’t true! I pleaded with you to believe me and to forgive me, but still you believed her. You know, that’s the only reason I stopped talking to you, even when I wasn’t talking t you my thoughts kept going back to you. Even though we never really met, the first time I saw you in person I knew, I knew deep down that I loved you. I LOVED YOU! And what do you do? You hurt me so bad that I couldn’t even lift myself back up for a whole week! I hated you for that, I hated you so much.” I still waited for a reply, by now I was shouting, and for the first time, I felt like this major flood of anger had left me calm and serene. I turned to Jared because he had turned to look at me. Under the full moon I saw his face. And the shocking realization hit me. He loved me too. I could see it in his eyes and I just knew. He had one single tear run down his cheek, and his jaw was flexed with anger at himself.

              I reached my hand up to brush away the tear and left it there. He stood, astounded by what I had said, and I started to speak again, “I still love you, and I think that you feel the same way. You know it deep down, the same way I do. But, I can’t be with you if you’re still friends with Lesley. I’m not telling you to choose between the two of us, because that’s wrong, but I am saying that I can’t be with you until you discover for yourself what she really is.” His eyes flashed with sadness and then turned large as he realized I was right. “You know that first night we talked?” I felt his face heat as he remembered, “you remember when I said I never had a boyfriend, and had never been kissed?” He nodded in my hand. “Well, I hate to admit it, but ever since I talked to you that night, I wanted you to be my first kiss.”

              “I know how you feel. I felt the same way.” He said his voice husky.

              “But we can’t be together until you realize what I say is true. I’m sorry you’re friends with her, I’m so sorry that I can’t be with you. It feels like when I leave here. I’ll be leaving a part of me here to,” I looked into his eyes and saw my own feelings reflected there. “But its what’s right. You’re not mature enough to be who I know you will be one day, I’m so sorry.” I put my face closer to his, and he followed my motion. Our mouths met and we kissed passionately. “Now I don’t have to wait anymore and neither do you. It’s the way things should be.”

              “I’m never going to feel that with another girl, Every time I kiss someone else, I’ll be comparing her to you,” he said honestly. “I still love you.”

              “I know,” I replied, as tears started to roll down my cheeks. “This is the way it has to be. I’m so sorry,” I kissed him again and started to walk away.

                “Wait!” he said and reached out to grab my arm.

                I moved out of his grasp and turned slowly to face him. I was still crying when I said, “I’m sorry,” and walked away.





4 years later…
© Copyright 2007 megan (mmosis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274649-Next-Time