*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274938-The-Mystery-Date
by JudyB
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1274938
Dora reluctantly goes on a blind date
I had been in a real slump in the dating department the past six months. I was so discouraged that when my friend Marta had lunch with me at McDonald’s, I literally cried on my French fries. It was then that I swore to her, “No more dates! I just cannot go through any more humiliation and rejection. Gosh, I'm becoming known as 'Dora the Dumpee'! No thank you. No more. I’ll become a nun and be celibate and live in happiness and…” sniff, sniff.

Marta didn’t try to change my mind, then. Instead, she gave me two days to get off my “poor me” kick, and then knocked on my door bright and early on an exceptionally sunny morning. “Hey girlfriend,” she quipped, “wanna go for an early morning run with me? It’ll start the day out good for both of us!” Marta lived only two doors away from my apartment and was one of the first good friends I made when I’d moved to Chicago nine months earlier. I really didn’t want to go for a run, but her pleading “puppy dog” eyes made me laugh and I caved in to her request.

We were on our third of four laps around the quarter-mile track when Marta spat out her true reason for asking me to jog with her. “Hey Chickee, I know you’ve sworn off men, but I have met thee one for YOU girl.”

Inwardly I groaned, but I managed a small, questioning smile. I knew she would keep after me until I gave in to her so I meekly asked, “So tell me about this perfect guy.” Marta nearly leaped a foot in the air and yelled “Wahoooo!” Again I had to laugh. She was so delighted I would listen to her that she was like a school kid who just learned classes had been cancelled for the day.

“Oh Dora, this really is the guy for you. He plays the guitar and has been singing at weddings the past few years and….he’s single! I bumped into him at the ice cream shop, literally, and I think I drooled more than when I was a baby! You know me Dora, I asked him all sorts of questions and told him what a great person you are. He seemed quite interested soooo….he’s agreed to meet you at tonight at the food court in the mall. He’ll be wearing a black T-shirt with red lettering that says “It’s ME!” Just look for the sexy guy with wavy hair and blues eyes that smile.” Before I could utter a word, she jumped up and left me sitting there all alone.

7 p.m. – Food Court

I actually arrived ten minutes early, but sat nervously in the car waiting for the appointed time. “Oh gosh,” I was chiding myself, “Why did I ever agree to meeting this guy. I am so damn vulnerable!”

“Well, it’s time. I’ll just go find this guy, have a soda and if things don’t go well, I’ll feign feeling ill and be back home within the hour.” Upon entering the food court, it seemed every eye was staring at me. I thought about turning around and running back out, but froze when a loud voice yelled, “DORA!”

Now literally every eye in the joint was upon me, but the dashing young man in the black T-shirt with red lettering captured my attention as he quickly advanced from the snack bar to greet me.

“I’m so glad you came,” he said with excitement as he gently took my arm. “Let’s go to one of the back booths where we can have some privacy.” I readily agreed, my face still pink from embarrassment.

Not wanting to deal with an awkward silence, I quickly began the conversation. “My friend Marta, the one who set this little date up, said you sing for weddings. You must have a really good voice to do that.”

“Yeah, I’ve been doing it for years. I write my own songs and play guitar while I sing. I do lots of garden weddings in the summer. After just a few months, people began calling me the “Wedding Singer.” Actually, it’s not a bad way to make a living and it’s fun to boot!

“Ohhhh myyyy Godddd!” I stammered, clearly in shock. “You’re him! That guy who’s notorious for his awesome singing. You’re the real Wedding Singer? Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh myyyy…” I shook my head slowly, staring intently into the beautiful blue eyes of this man staring back at me.

He laughed. “My real name is Steve”, he said, “but Wedding Singer seems to have become the name everyone knows me by.”

“Gosh, that must be a terrific way to make a living, playing music and singing…making people happy.”

“I enjoy it,” he said thoughtfully, “but one of these days I hope to be the wedding groom instead of the wedding singer.” I could see he sincerely meant every word. There was a kindness about him that made me want to get to know this guy better.

For someone who had planned on feigning sickness to get an early out, I suddenly didn’t want this night to end. I put my hand around his hand, and looking into his eyes, spoke nary a word. Nothing needed to be said. This beautiful Wedding Singer and I were suddenly in a realm all our own.

Yes, it was much like a fairy tale. Two lonely hearts, yearning to beat as one. We sat there until the mall closed and then….


Word Count: 933
Setting: McDonald's followed by Food Court in mall
Plot: Being set up for a blind date who is a "fictional" character
Beginning:Having an unhappy discussion with my friend
Ending: Two hearts beat as one
© Copyright 2007 JudyB (judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274938-The-Mystery-Date