*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1277594-Healing-Hearts
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1277594
originally for Coloring the World contest; now, for all to see
Sammi never thought she'd get this far. It's been a long struggle these last two years. Break ups are hard enough without having to lose your husband to your best friend. There were so many days that she would drown her sorrows in tequila shots and Chunky Monkey ice cream -- all by herself at home. And, it felt like even her family was unsupportive. "Melancholy Holly" and "Simply Wimpy" are tags her insensitive brothers gave her.

Well, today things are about to change for the better. Sammi is about to shed those nicknames, those unwanted pounds, and all of that self-loathing. And, it's because of a soft-spoken man named Hank and his gentle bulldog, Bubba.

Let's back up a bit, first. Last month, Sammi got fed up with sitting home alone watching "Law and Order" and "CSI" reruns. Instead of taking her mind off her problems it just made her feel worse. So, she got up off the couch, squeezed herself into some old sweatpants, and took a walk. She found walking so therapeutic that she started going to the park everyday just to walk around the lake while others jogged around her. Eventually the pants got looser and her heart became freer. Some days she didn't even mind being alone with her thoughts. She became so preoccupied during one walk that she didn't notice a sweet brown and white bulldog running up to her and knocking her down.

It was at this point that Bubba's owner, Hank, ran up to help Sammi. He was so sorry for what happened that he wanted to make it up to her. So, they made a date for coffee that afternoon. Over French Vanilla lattes, Sammi talked to Hank like she hadn't talked to another man in years. At last, Sammi's heart was beginning to heal. Hank helped so much with that. He invited her to the exhibition of a new local artist at Craig Flinner's Gallery this weekend. Then, he and Bubba walked her home.

Later that evening, Sammi ate a little bit differently. Okay, a lot differently. Instead of filling up on carbs like she did when she was depressed she ate a bowl of steamed vegetables with some brown rice and teriyaki sauce. She did feel better. About herself, about her life, about her future. Now, what about tomorrow? Samamtha Amanda Madison decided to break out her emergency credit card and go clothes shopping after work tomorrow. After all, she does want to look her best on her first date with Hank.
© Copyright 2007 LilyMom (lilymom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1277594-Healing-Hearts