*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1281219-On-Greed
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Opinion · #1281219
A very brief essay on greed and its usefulness to humanity.
Greed is, in a nutshell, not just innate to the human psyche, but a valuable part of man's repotoire of survival tools. Without greed, there is no hoarding; without hoarding, there is no stockpile. Though humans, as hunters and gatherers, should be plenty able to endure a harsh winter on the meat of a hibernating beast or few alone, our lives are, on the whole, made much easier with the storage of foods.

Why, then, is greed looked down upon?

Here and now, with Man taking the role of prime beast, we tend to hate that which defines us as "monsters" in the eyes of our fellow man. Murder, thievery, and envy are other examples of such monster traits that become, at times, necessary evils. For instance, there were days when otherwise healthy young men had fallen on hard times. The result, once they saw the happy, plump, sickly rich, was the start of banditry. Truly, why else would rougish acts of armed robbery take place if all people were content within their little microcosm?

It is true that, in many faiths, greed and all entailing acts seeded by the lust or more are looked down upon. However, have we found a stronger reward system than to give someone a gift in exchange for some act? Even the religions that despise natural want beyond all else offer a ticket to paradise for following their rules. What hypocracy!

Granted, as humans, we also have the same instincts that every other animal has; and, with them come the power to ignore them. As a trait in personality, greed is just as defeatable as the thirst for blood or cravings of the body. We are constantly locked in inner conflict over our greed, among numerous other things. Most of us cannot keep a constant vigilance over the beast within, and, as a result, are ripped to shreds, our previous morals in tatters with us.

We all succumb. We all hold the ability to choose when we succumb, as well.

Personally,I feel that I am much too young to feel greed. Should I ask for (or, even, demand) something, why would it be greedy of me to take what I need, so long as it is reasonable? All a person should need is food and mental stimulation, and all I, myself, truly ask for.

Ergo, I ask of you: Is it greed to fulfill one's needs?
© Copyright 2007 Dragon By Proxy (wyrmisis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1281219-On-Greed