*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282123-Battle-Of-The-Bands
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Draft · Sci-fi · #1282123
I'm trying to work on this again for a friend's site. Any help would be appreciated.
Battle of the Bands
Chapter one: Ballade of Fallen Angels

         Man, you really know how to mess with things don’t you Admiral. You’re lucky that we’re friends or I’d be pissed about having to go after your daughter. Captain Jamil Andrean looked at the girl who was currently curled up in a corner using his coat as a blanket.
          The girl was still dressed in the smock they had put her in at the hospital, but she was free at least.
          That alone made Jamil smile slightly. The girl wasn’t even a teen and they had been trying to force her into one of the warships. Not like I’ll be doing much better. I’ll be giving her a chance to pretend to have a normal life at least. But if they find out what she is… Good thing my crew’s already got a death warrant. He sighed as he leaned against the wall letting the child sleep a while longer. He had gotten her clothes, they were currently sitting on a chair near where she was sleeping.
          Admiral, I just hope that you chose the right people to crew the Up Tempo. I know you wanted it to be the ship to free our world from what it has become. Just wish you had given your daughter the choice. You and Alania died way too young, don’t let her follow your path. He heard the knock at the door and stood, one hand reaching for the gun tucked at the small of his back as he crossed to the door.
          “Sir, it’s me.” The voice was deep, but soft. Jamil smiled easing his grip on his sidearm.
          “You’re late Shiv.” He opened the door allowing the seven foot tall Titan into the room. The large furry man wasn’t alone, a small blue glowing orb hung by the snow white shoulder. The large man held out one hand and the blue glow, not much bigger than pea, landed on the outstretched hand, forming into a miniature woman of the same size.
          “That would be my fault.” The small voice said as the figure looked up. “The counsel is not pleased with the decision of hiding the Up Tempo in Lunar orbit. I had to convince them that it was for the greater good of the system, but my pull with the counsel’s not as strong as it used to be. There are many who are siding with Humans.” She leaned against the palm of the figure holding her.
          “We have another four days before they give us up. Sorry, that’s all we could manage to do Cap.”
          “It’ll do, I have her.” He nodded over to where the girl was starting to sit up, rubbing sleepy eyes as she did.
          “Uncle Jamil, are these the others Daddy wanted me to look for?” The nine year old girl bit her lip wondering if she could outrun the white monster standing in the room.
          Jamil grinned brightly. “That’s right Mira. The big guy’s harmless, his name’s Shiv.”
          “Shiv,” She repeated the name thoughtfully. “You’re in charge of communications on the Up Tempo. Daddy made me memorize the crew before he disappeared on me like momma did.” Dark eyes looked into the pale eyes of the furry man. “You’re from Titan, I heard a woman’s voice as well… Am I right?”
          “Admiral Greson thought of everything didn’t he? Does she know what she is?”
          “A Songsword. I know that Momma was one too. I may be a child, but please, I have never lived like one, I don’t plan on starting now. I know that my parents fought the government because of their control. I… I don’t like how things are done with the government. Please, allow me to help.” Mira looked for the owner of the voice.
          “She sounds like the Admiral.” Shiv laughed. “And looks like Alania.”
          “Yes, the resemblance is remarkable.” Isha’s tiny face smiled, the glow around her turned pink as she flitted to get a better look at the child.
          Mira watched the pink orb as it flitted about.
          “A Lunar Sprite.”
          “So, you do know of us.” The glow landed on her shoulder. “Captain, wish we had some time to let her grow up properly, but, she’ll do until we can find another Songsword. In Humans, that’s so rare though.”
          “You guys forgot, the ship is my father’s. I know the other secrets to make it work. I’m guessing that you haven’t found the main weapon’s locker?”
          “Ooh, she’s smart too. Can we keep her boss? Please?” Shiv asked, his large face giving puppy-dog eyes.
          Jamil laughed heartedly. “Okay, you know we need you to get the ship to work. What makes you think that we’re going to keep you around after that Mira?” He knew he wouldn’t give the girl up, he just wanted to make sure that his crew would be safe with the child aboard.
          “Because, father hand picked the most loyal of the rebels to man the prototype. We want the same goal. I know that I am the youngest, and I will follow orders sir. Father wouldn’t have sent me to find you if he didn’t think you were ready yet. You need me to have full access to the ship. I need you to survive. Besides, I owe you. You got me out of there before they… turned me into one of the other Divas. I, I don’t want to be controlled by them. I’d rather die than be forced into one of their ships. The Up Tempo’s the only ship out there that doesn’t need the cy-link. And I know the songs that will make her a shining star in any fleet. Please, allow it to be the one that will free everyone.” The nine year old girl didn’t look up as she spoke, as if she knew that if she couldn’t please the three of them she shouldn’t bother.
          “Boss, we have company.” Shiv looked up.
          “Shiv, Isha, take her to the safe house. I’ll stall Grand Admiral. Our duty now is to protect the Princess here.” He lifted her chin. “Keep my jacket okay? I’ll want it back when I catch up on the ship.”
          “So… I’m part of the crew now?”
          “For now.” He picked up his jacket, moving it so it covered her shoulders. It was huge on the rail thin girl, though it hid the smock perfectly. He knelt rolling up the sleeves. “There, Shiv, Isha, until I catch up, she’s Captain, see, she’s got the bars.”
          “Yes sir, we’ll protect her with our lives.” Shiv scooped the girl up. “Make it back to the ship safely Boss.”
© Copyright 2007 Noble has the writing bug (nobleghost at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282123-Battle-Of-The-Bands