*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282607-CAMP-HIEROGLYPHICS
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1282607
Two girls enter Ancient Egypt as they start their adventures. First chapter of my novel
This is my first chapter of my novel. Please tell me if you like it and constructive critiscim is much appreciated.


Chapter one: NEPLAC

I woke up to the loud snoring of Divia. I rolled her eyes. Just my luck, because Divia had started snoring when we had started sharing a tent together.  But at least I got to share a tent with my best friend, and not Natalie, who whenever I even think of that name I overfill with hatred. Natalie was my ex-friend.  But ever since we had the awful argument we’ve stayed well away from each other, and if we go near each other it’s only to make nasty remarks or to embarrass.  Anyway, when I heard the wake-up call, I woke up Divia who could not be woken up by a herd of elephants. So I had to shake Divia until she finally woke up. Once Divia and I had gotten ready, had breakfast and packed our backpacks we lined up behind all the other girls.

Mr Pale was the head of school camp, otherwise known as my teacher back at Sunny high school. He was a tall, strong man with a bushy brown face. It was covered with so much brown hair that you couldn’t see his eyes, mouth or ears. He had a bushy moustache and a bushy long beard. When he ate food he got bits of food stuck to his beard. Mr Pale was VERY strict. That morning he stood with his tummy like a balloon – Although he wasn’t really fat, he was quite thin, but he did that just to look like the boss- and his chin jutting out with head held high.  Oh, and by the way, now might be a good chance to tell you the name of this camp. It’s called NEPLAC: Nine economical plants area for children.

“Right girls,” He began in his usual solid, loud voice, “Good morning to you all. How did you sleep?” Obviously Mr Pale was expecting some big reaction, but everyone-including me- just grumbled and mumbled. “Well, anyway, when I say, you will get into your groups and here are your instructions. Jacob here will take the archaeologists, Wartini- or Wart as you call him- will take the mountain hikers, Mrs Shamsti will take the bird watchers and I will take the pioneers.  Go, go, go!” Honestly, sometimes Mr Pale sounds like a footie coach. Mr Pale and all the other adults got into their groups. Divia and I raced towards Jacob. We love him. Jacob is the best teacher ever. He is Fourteen- He was doing an early job-. He was put in charge of the archaeologists because he works as a museum history guide, so he knows a lot about history, and he tells the best stories about his adventures because sometimes he’s asked to be a substitute archaeologist.  Everyone left the camp caretaker to do her stuff at the base.

I think Jacob loves us to. I think we’re his best students. I think that because we got to be his assistants. Divia and I started bombarding him with questions.
“Where are we going Jacob?” Divia asked blushing. I reckon Divia was more in love with him than me. Jacob blushed back. “We’re going to the cave paintings” Divia moved closer to him. “Oh, that’s so… nice.” I grew jealous at that remark, so I moved closer to him.
“Are you going to tell us a story today?” I asked, hoping to make Divia give up, but Divia just gave me a glance and continued.  Then she made her way to a rather large rock that was covered with sticks and stone. You could just see a spot of grey rock under it. When Jacob wasn’t looking Divia pretended to trip over it. I knew what she was doing.  You’ll see.

Jacob came running over to her and started asking her stuff like “Are you OK Divia?” and “You better watch out for more rocks.” And Divia said stuff like “Oh, how kind of you to ask, I’m fine thankyou.” And “Oh yes I will look out for any more rocks, and thankyou” Jacob and Divia were just about to kiss when I interrupted them. “Jacob? Where are we going again?” I said that just to make him realise that he was not here to kiss girls named Divia, and also that we were all watching. Jacob looked at me innocently and rubbed the back of his neck nervously.
“Umm, well, we, err, umm, we’re going to see the cave paintings. Right this way.” Jacob laughed nervously.  Divia shot me another glance, but this time it was an evil one. 

After about twenty minutes we reached our destination.  We sat down in a big circle and had our lunch. After mine I decided to take a look around. I asked Jacob very casually because I was too tired for having a love battle against Divia. Jacob replied exactly the same. And Divia didn’t search for an ‘I’m looking for a fight’ glance in my face. I guess everyone was pretty tired. Thank god for that!  Anyway, after Jacobs OK I set off. I was only allowed up to the cave with the rocks on top of it that looked like a human face.  I started with the closest cave. Once I was in front of it I immediately thought about Divia because I remembered that caves were as dark as a night sky without any clouds or stars in it and Divia is afraid of the dark. It’s one of her deepest secrets. I got out my torch and started to walk. I shone my torch on the cave walls, changing walls every step or two.  It was actually quite fun. Just for fun I shouted ‘HELLO!’ and it was as if the cave had a mouth (Get it?)  and said ‘HELLO! HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!’ I loved the echo it made. It had a surprisingly soothing and soft sound.  Anyway, I continued on walking until I came to the cave paintings that the aboriginals had painted so long ago. They were so… so… unique and pretty. My favourite painting was that of a snake. It seemed so realistic.  It looked familiar. I remember! It was from an aboriginal myth I read about! The rainbow snake! Apparently the rainbow snake was the creator of the dreamtime. I remembered what Jacob said: “Be back before twenty past nine.” I glanced at my luminous watch.  It was now ten to nine. I know I still had a lot of time but if I wanted to explore all the caves before twenty past nine I better hurry. You know what they say: Time flies! 
© Copyright 2007 Hanana-Banana (jewel_scarab at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282607-CAMP-HIEROGLYPHICS