*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1284373-Something-to-Think-About
by JudyB
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1284373
Sometimes we make parenting too difficult
As a former foster parent of children from birth through 17, and the parent of a now grown adult whom I gave birth to 27 years ago, I just felt I must share something worth thinking about.

Raising a kid at any age is not easy. Age-related problems are a fact of life clear from infancy through the "terrible twos...and threes" and through every other age until suddenly you see them walk in their cap and gown, all grown up, to receive their diploma.

In my years of child rearing, mine and other people's kids, I can recall thinking, "What is going on in this kid's mind?" Even with completely normal children, parents frequently feel they don't understand their kid and wonder what makes him/her tick!

After all these years of experience I have finally come to understand wherein the problem lies. Instead of wasting energy, losing sleep and worrying about how John, or Susan, or Melissa "thinks", far more importantly, we need to ACCEPT them for who they are and work with the "positives" that they do possess.

As parents, we can and should provide guidance, encouragement, and be the ones to set the family rules. AND, we must let those children who are entrusted to our care KNOW that they are precious and loved ...even if we don't understand them.

Much easier said than done, especially in times of turmoil -- but wise words nonetheless. "Love MORE and Fret Less"!

****************************************
Disclaimer: This does NOT apply to youngsters who are suicidal.
© Copyright 2007 JudyB (judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1284373-Something-to-Think-About