*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285157-Silent-Wood
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1285157
When a hiker goes missing
The radio spat out a funny static sound before a distraught and urgent male voice cried, "There is a hostile bear out here and it just attacked. I need urgent care now, before it..." the message was interrupted by more static. Alexis turned the keys in the ignition and impatiently waited for the car to start. It was the fifth bear attack this month, but hopefully, not the fifth fatal.

She knew exactly where to search for the missing hiker, in a small clearing where two dead pines overlapped each other and shared fuzzy green moss. The dirt road was bumpy, but no match for Alexis's ultra-durable shocks on her green Jeep.

Alexis grabbed a small, black box on the dashboard and radioed the main park station. "We have another bear attack," She explained, "Send the animal control down here so we can take care of it."

The familiar coworker's voice came back, "Okay."

Alexis hung the radio back onto its cradle and continued along the road. After a sharp right turn, Alexis slammed down on the breaks as a limping man attempted to outrun the enraged grizzly. Alexis reached into the back seat and retrieved her tranquilizer gun, fully loaded.

Just as the bear reached the hiker, Alexis shot. The small dart missed the bear and barely punctured the dying bark of an old pine.

Suddenly the bear lost interest in the hiker and headed towards Alexis. Before she could reload, the bear knocked the firearm out of her clammy hands. She was thrown to the side against the Jeep and fell onto the dirt road. Before the bear could strike again, she rolled to the side and landed on her back. A sharp pain stung her head when she tried to get up, but knowing that resting would kill her, Alexis stood on both legs and prepared for one last blow. The bear charged at her, and with her remaining strength, jumped out of the way. The bear launched itself past her and smacked its head into a tree. Without looking back, it turned and ran through the woods.

Alexis regained strength and pulled the unconscious hiker into her car.


Gordon White awoke on a white stretcher in a well-lit room, presumably a ranger station. His left torso, which had been badly cut, was now treated with stitching and bandages.

"Did they kill that bear yet?" he groaned painfully.

A woman with long black hair hovered above him with deep green eyes. "No," she replied, "They haven't."

Gordon sighed.

"What's your name?" the woman asked.

"Sam," Gordon lied.

"I'm Alexis," she said, "But how can your name be Sam when the fake ID in you pocket says your name is Nick?"

Gordon’s eyes shot open, did she know? He reached into his pocket to find his magnum. Alexis held up the weapon.

"Murderer," she spat.

Gordon jumped and grabbed Alexis's legs, forcing her to drop the gun. They tumbled down onto the floor; he landed on Alexis and managed to restrain her against the ground. Alexis spat into his eyes; Gordon felt the sharp sting. Whilst he was distracted, she pushed him over and jumped for the gun. Gordon grabbed her around the waist and tossed her against a row of counters.

When Alexis opened her eyes, the magnum was aimed at her face. She looked down the cold barrel of the gun, then at Gordon's equally frigid eyes, towering above her.

"Gordon White: Serial Killer," Alexis said, stalling for time, "Do you enjoy the title?"

Gordon smiled, "It took me a while to earn it. Not getting caught is hard." He slowly began to squeeze the trigger.

Alexis kicked his shin; Gordon panicked and fired the gun. The bullet plunged deep into Alexis's shoulder, stopping at the bone. She stood and punched Gordon in the face with her good arm before grabbing the magnum. When he realized what had happened, Gordon ran to the door and jumped out before Alexis could fire.

Gordon's shrill cries rang out as the enraged Grizzly Bear mutilated his body. Alexis remained standing in the doorway, bewildered that the bear still held the grudge against him. When it looked and saw Alexis, it charged at full speed. Unknowingly, she pulled the trigger and watched as the bear lifelessly fell to the ground.

In the distance, Alexis heard the barely audible sirens of racing police cars coming to assist.

Word Count: 733 Words
© Copyright 2007 Blanknow (indigoshadow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1285157-Silent-Wood