*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288050-Hope--CH-3-4--5-
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1288050
Unlikely friends come together to save the world.
~*~Chapter Three~*~

I was running, and I was running hard. My breaths were short, gaspy... I could barely breath. Pain split through my chest, but I couldn't stop! I couldn't let him get me!

I was running for home, but it never came. As fast as I ran, as hard as I looked, I couldn't find my home. It just wasn't there anymore. I kept running, though, despite the pain moving across my body. I knew he was right behind me, waiting for me to slow down and let him get me.

His footfalls were loud, and they echoed in my mind. Thud, thud, thud! The pattering of my own steps were drown out to his own, though it kept me aware of how close he really was. And, he was getting closer.

Though I knew only something bad would become of it, I turned my head back, and put my eyes on the man chasing me. A soldier, though not just any... one that specifically watched me every time I walked the streets. One that I knew the face of very well. One that knew there was something up with that girl that walked like she had nothing to fear.

Quickly, I looked back, though I was too late to see a break in the road, where the concrete seemed to uplift just enough to... trip me. Within mere seconds, I had skid across the ground, scratches and scrapes stinging into my skin as I did. Letting my eyes close tightly in pain, I sucked in a fast breath, a quiet cry for help coming from my lips.

His footsteps stopped, but his breathing was loud. It was then, I heard his voice, sinister and deadly, dripping in delight that he got me.

"Aww, the witty-bitty-girly fell over? Whatever shall we do? Though.. what's that? She's a criminal? Treason against the King, was that it?" I heard him laugh lowly, and I felt his eyes on me. "Well, we all know what that punishment is!" Suddenly, pain erupted in my rib cage, and I couldn't breath. "Death by torture..." I could hear my own bones breaking beneath whatever he has slammed into me, though I remained quiet, knowing that screaming or crying would merely make it worse.

Opening my eyes a bit, I saw him standing just to my side, and what looked like a shot gone in his hands. A grin turned his lips up, only making me shudder in fear.

"Scared, witty-bitty-girly?" He asked in his smooth, sinister voice. He then laughed darkly. "Don't be... The pain will stop when you die..." He raised his gun above my head, and brought it down to slam into my skull, but that's when I started to scream. Pain and agony filled it, as I screamed for my life.

The hit never came, the pain lifted, and darkness set over me. I was dead... I was dead dead dead... Though, someone was shaking me, and hard. I started to fight my invisible attacker, tried to push them away, but they held on tight to me, calling my name over and over.

Suddenly, Rick was there. I was in my room, and he had me by the shoulders, his eyes wide in fear. Sweat drenched my body, though I felt frozen.

"Lee... Lenaya, breath, please!" Rick yelled, and I took in a sharp breath, my body shuddering as if I really had broken my ribs. It took me a few moments to get back my breath, though once I did, Rick wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly.

"It was just a dream... You are okay, I won't let anything happen to you..." Rick spoke in my ear softly, his own voice hoarse in fright.

Instantly, I started to cry.




~*~ Chapter Four ~*~


After Rick reassured me I was okay, I noticed it was already light out. There was no sense in going back to sleep, because for one, I would just have to get up soon, and two, I was worried I'd have the dream again. So, for the rest of the morning, I took to washing up, trying to calm myself down.

It was odd that Wess was in my dream. Wess was, of course, the soldier who caught me. I only knew his name from hearing him and another soldier talking. He had always watched me, ever since my father died. Each time I went to school, or went out to get supplies, his eyes followed me. Since their stations varied each day, I was never sure where I would see him, but I made it my goal to avoid him. He knew I was up to something, he just couldn't place what.

I was glad when 8 o' clock came around, since that meant I had to head off for school. Putting a few things in my bag, I made my way for the door and for the road. I let my thoughts sweep through my head. I was in no rush, really, so I had some time to myself.

What really got me thinking was my dream. Did it mean something? I had dreams before like this one, though nothing became of them. At least, not yet. I heard of people who have dreams of things that turn out to really happen, and right now I was hoping to the Heavens I wasn't one of those kind of people. It was one of my worst fears, really, being caught and taken away like my father had been. I knew what happened when they took you away...

Lost in my thoughts, I didn't realize I was already up the hill, and in the city. I needed to pay attention when I was within the limits, seeing as I couldn't just wander around like a lost rabbit. No, I needed to figure out where Wess was, so I could effectively avoid him, and get to school on time.

Ah, school. It wasn't much, really. Only a few were in my class, which was amazing, since most my age had dropped out by now. It was held in an old business building that was still standing. There were no textbooks or educational videos, since they were either really outdated, or simply not made anymore. It was easier to learn, anyway, when you didn't sit and simply try to remember what you read.

Jeff, our teacher, was a nice guy, the same age as my Dad would be if he were alive. He was actually an old friend of my Dad's, so I knew him pretty well. Since it wasn't a formal type of school, everyone just called him Jeff, or Sir, depending on the situation. I always did look forward to school, seeing that most of my friends did attend it. It was a way out of the everyday troubles of this stupid world we live in, and I mean stupid in the worst way I can.

I reached the business building quickly, seeing no signs of Wess. He must have been on the other side of town, and for that, I was thankful. I don't think I could have dealt with having his eyes stare at me like I was doing something wrong. Now in a lighter mood, I smiled, and half skipped into the building. Going for the stairs, I went up to the third floor where my age level was taught at, the low sounds of other's voices reaching my ears. I could hear the younger kids on the second floor shouting and playing like they usually did, but as I reached the third floor, I only heard silence. That was odd, I thought, checking my watch. It was 8:45, and when I usually got there at 8:30, I could hear them talking and joking around.

Moving a bit down the dark halls, my eyes fell on the abandoned offices. Some looked burned, while others just looked destroyed and forgotten. Our makeshift classroom was an old meeting office, since it held a whiteboard and a big enough table for everyone to sit at. I could see the light was on, so I knew people were here.

Turning the corner, I caught sight of all my friends, their eyes all towards the long, round table they were sitting at. I was about to ask what was wrong, when I looked up to the end of the room, where Jeff was standing. Though, it wasn't him that made me bite my lip, but the person he was talking to.

It was Wess.

Immediately, I averted my eyes, and went to take a seat beside Amy, my closest friend of the group. She glanced at me, and shook her head a bit, before resting her head in her arms. I could hear the two talking as if we weren't really there.

"I am glad you see it my way, Mr. Murry." Wess was talking like he was just another person, and not a soldier that had the power to kill us all right then and there.

"But of course. Anything that would help these children stay safe and learn more is always in my right mind." Glancing up, I could see Jeff flash a smile at Wess. How could he do such a thing? He of all people knew what the soldiers could do!

"I shall pass this to my officers, and within a week, we should see results. I am glad we could work this out." Wess spoke casually, though with my eyes lifted towards them, I could tell he was up to something. It wasn't one of those happy business grins he had, like the guys down in the Black Market had when you took something illegal off their hands. Yet, it was one of those, 'hah, you fool, see what becomes of this!' grins. I was sure Jeff could see through it, but he looked pleased and relaxed.

Wess moved down the room, and out, his footsteps echoing through the halls. Though, just before he left, his eyes narrowed at me, and I shivered, looking towards Amy's blonde head that was hidden in her arms. It took a good minute before someone said something, since we wanted to insure Wess was gone.

"What's going on?!" The voice of Mike floated to my ears, and I glanced in his direction, his face twisted in an expression of confusion. We were all confused, I know. You see, it was almost a rule that soldiers stay away from the classes, to let the teachers teach, and the students get a bit of a break. I'm sure it wasn't this way all across the globe, but it was in our city. It had been the first time, since I started to go to school, that a soldier had come for a random friendly chat. The soldiers were deadly enough, why bring them into a room full of innocent kids?

Jeff looked rather tired when he looked up, though I couldn't be sure. "Some of the soldiers have found it a problem that they don't know what's going on in classes. They want to know what's being taught... apparently... " By the sound of his voice, I could tell he wasn't sure of that. Though, I knew what it was the moment he said it. The soldiers were worried that Jeff was teaching them things they shouldn't know. Things that could lead them to rebel, or that they were making their own army to fight back.

"That's nonsense!" Amy cried from beside me, her head lifting up swiftly. "They get into every other part of our lives, can't we have a bit of freedom?" She glanced at me for a moment, before looking back at Jeff at the end of the table.

A weak smile came to his lips, before he spoke. "I know, Amy, but they want complete control. I know it's not something I should be telling you... though, they want everyone to be monitored at all times. They don't want anything happening that could cause a rebellion..." His eyes flashed to me, before he took in a long breath. "Either way, there is no soldier here, now, and hopefully there won't be for a while. So..." He smiled, and straightened a bit, his hands clapping together. "What do you say we learn a bit out literature, and the past's best authors?"

Every tried to cheer up, though it was a long session of school. We did learn alot, though, of old writers whose works are long forgotten, of famous stories Jeff told us by memory. Soon enough, the rest of the day went by like it usually did, until Jeff glanced at his watch.

"Ah, well, that's it for today... I'd like to see all of your bright faces tomorrow at this table." He said with a nod. It was something he always said, ensuring that we did come back alive and well, and ready to learn.

Amy said her goodbyes, along with the rest of the few students that came to class, and soon, they left the room. I was still sitting in my seat, watched Jeff put the things we used during class away.

Turning, he saw me, and looked surprised. "Ah, Lee, something wrong?" He asked casually, a small smile gathering his lips.

I thought for a moment, before looking away, and towards the dirty window that beheld the city. "Do you... think he's suspicious?" I asked, folding my hands underneath my chin and looking up at him. He looked deep in thought for a moment, his eyes looking down on the old wooden table.

"I'm not sure..." He finally said, his voice so quiet I could barely hear him. His eyes settled on mine, and I furrowed my eyebrows. He took in a long breath, and tried to smile again. "Lee, don't worry about it. It will be my burden to bare, not yours. He can't suspect anything with you, you're 14."

Looking away, I didn't say anything. I could still feel Jeff's eyes on me. "Tell me, does your brother wonder?" He asked quietly, and I just shrugged.

"I don't know. He's never said anything. I don't know what he thinks." I looked back at Jeff, who was looking out the window now.

"Either way, don't worry. It's school, they won't get anything out of here." Quickly breathing in, he glanced at his watch. "Though, we both must get going. The building must be vacated by 3, and it's already 2:50." Lifting his bad onto his shoulder, he smiled, and gestured for me to come with him. I knew I couldn't stay, so I got up, holding my own bag closed to my side as I moved out of the room. We went down the dark hall in silence, and it wasn't until we reached the stairs did I say anything.

"I think I should tell Rick. I mean... he might not get mad. He might actually... want to help..." I thought for a moment, as Jeff smiled, holding onto the rusted handrails as we made our way down.

"I think that's a good choice." He said with a nod, looking at me. "Your brother may be very protective of you, but he does love you. That, and he may be quite alot of help to the Resistance."

I nodded to his comment, smiling a bit. "He's like Dad, really... I just hope he doesn't get angry." I cringed a bit, and Jeff laughed.

"I don't think he would. Of course, what do I know? I've only known you both since you were born..."

I laughed slightly, though sighed moments after. "He just... took their deaths death really hard. He swore he wouldn't let anything happen to me or Mom, and when Mom died in grief, he wasn't the same. If he knows that I'm doing the thing that got Dad killed... he'll probably go mad on me." I shrugged. "Though, I'd like him to know where I go every other night. He's more upset with that than anything."

Jeff nodded as we made it to the bottom floor. Pushing open the half broken door, we walked out into the warm air. I was thankful the heat would be over soon, and it would get cooler. I loved the cold.

"I don't know how he will react, really. You'll just have to see." With a nod of his head, he stopped, and looked about the streets. "Well, I suppose you should get going. Try not to get into to much tr--" Suddenly, he was cut off, as I heard someone screaming my name.

"Lee! Lee!!" We both looked, as John, a friend of my brother's, came running towards us quickly.

"Oh, God, Lee, I am so glad I found you. Please, you have to come with me!" He reached out and took my wrist, pulling me a few steps before I tugged away. Jeff followed behind, looking slightly confused.

"Wha.. John, what's wrong?" I asked, breathing fast.

John turned, his eyes full of sorrow, his body trembling slightly.

"It's Rick... he's dyeing..."





~*~Chapter Five~*~


The breath caught in my throat, and I nearly fell over. "What... No, that's... no..." I couldn't get the words out, as I stepped back from John, and into Jeff.

John shook his head swiftly. "There was an accident in the mines... they collapsed, and Rick was still in them... They pulled him out, but... I'm... so sorry..." He said, but I barely heard him. I was already running.

I was running for the mines. I wouldn't let this be true. I'd show up, and Rick would be fine, his broad body standing there, probably eating some lunch and just relaxing. He wouldn't be on the verge of death. It was impossible...

Behind me, I heard the other two follow, though I didn't look back to them. I just kept running.

The mines were on the opposite end of the city, though in moments, I was over there, my breath lost in my lungs. The mines where within the hill that the city sat on, though far enough away that it wouldn't effect anything that lay beneath the city. I could see the work site below, various tarps placed near the entrance for shelter in case of rain, or just protection from the heat. People were grouped about in crowds around the canopy tarps, as I was sure they were looking at the fallen miners.

Almost sliding down the hill, as is was steep on this side of the city, I ran straight for the nearest tarp. Finding a small gap in the crowd, I could see it wasn't my brother, but some other miner who was being treated for a few wounds that didn't look life threatening. I went quickly to the next tent, but it was still someone else. This man, though, looked as if his arm was broken, and a long gash stretched across his forehead and back into his hair. My heart beat wildly. Where was Rick?

And then, I saw him, lying beneath an uncrowded tent. There wasn't a doctor or health official near him, though there were forgotten tools lying to his right. I was stunned for a moment at what I saw of him, though I quickly sprinted to him.

Falling to my knees at his side, I started to shake, before putting my hand to his bloody forehead. A deep gash dung into it, his usual sandy-brown hair a crimson color. His eyes fluttered slightly, and a moan moved from his lips. He was in pain, that was for sure.

"Rick... it's me, Lee..." I said, tears falling from my eyes. "Please, Rick, don't die..." I shook a bit, my right hand sweeping across his hair, while my left passed over his body, as if it helped me look at the damage.

His entire body was bruised and battered, though I saw no more damage than what was done to his head. He seemed... okay. So, why was he like this? He couldn't even see who I was... I stifled a cry, barely feeling a hand come to my shoulder.

It was Jeff. He stood behind me, looking slightly pale as he looked down at Rick. I didn't turn, but merely kept my eyes on Rick's, as the life fell from them quickly.

"No... please... " I looked up towards the others, angry and frustrated. "Why doesn't someone save him? It's just a cut, you can save him!" John shook his head, shaking a bit.

"No, Lee... his chest is crushed.. most of his ribs are broken... he can barely breath. His heart isn't pumping blood right... we don't have the right kind of doctors to save him..."

"Then get some! You can't just let him die!" I screamed, and John flinched as if I hit him. I looked back at Rick, who was barely breathing.

"Rick, please! You can't do this..." I pleaded, though, as his eyes fluttered to mine, I watched him slowly vanish. Soon, he stopped breathing all together, and his body was still.

"...No...!" I cried softly, before standing, my hand covered in blood. I backed away a bit, as Jeff let me go. I glared to them both in anger, as Jeff turned to me, trying to calm me down.

"Lee... It's okay... h--"

"Lemme alone!" I yelled, backing away some more as the words jumbled from my mouth. "It's your fault, all of it!" I cried at John, who merely stood there, staring towards the ground. I turned around quickly, and ran like I had before, pushing through people who yelled in astonishment.

I never stopped running. I just kept going, and going, even when my legs began to feel like jelly. I couldn't stop... I couldn't let myself think. I had to keep going, keep running.

Through the city I ran, and surprisingly, no one stopped me. No on asked what I was running from, or why. They just watched, and went back to their business when I had passed. I knew I couldn't go home...  I needed to just run and run and run until I simply fell over.

And, eventually, I did. With my eyes blurred in water, and my legs as weak as grass, I simply collapsed. I had ran into an alley-way by that time, out of the prying eyes of soldiers of city-goers. I simply fell over, my body thumping on the ground, my skin slick with sweat. I breathed hard, the same pain in my chest that I felt in my dream stinging me. The ground was cold, and the dirt stuck to my skin, though I didn't move. I simply lay there. Everything hurt, though nothing hurt worse than my heart did right then. I wasn't sure what time it was, though darkness had started to fall. I couldn't have ran that long, could I? I didn't care, though.

Soon, I felt numb. I felt like someone else was controlling me, someone else making me breath. Eventually, I just started to cry, my eyes closing as I curled my tired, achey body into a warm ball. My head started to spin, and I could barely keep from throwing up in pain and sadness.

After a few minutes, I passed out in the alley.


© Copyright 2007 The Flute Fairy (flutefairy1220 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288050-Hope--CH-3-4--5-