*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288670-Bridget--Robby
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1288670
Chapter 3 Two young adults, dealing with love and the hardships of life.
Robby saw Kelly in the parking lot on his way inside the building. He was about to call out to her when he saw that she was holding hands with a guy that looked suspiciously like Drake, Bridget’s brother. He walked over to the door of the hospital and found that he was walking directly behind them.
“Why couldn’t we tell her before now?” he heard Drake ask
“Because I didn’t want her to get mad or upset because I’m with you. How was I supposed to know that I’d fall in love with you and we’d get engaged?”
“You know that I’ve wanted to tell her from the beginning. I didn’t because I didn’t want to upset you.”



Robby couldn’t believe what he had just witnessed. He didn’t know what Bridget would do when she found out. He quickly slipped past them and went up to the teen lounge by stairs. He saw Bridget sitting in the corner in her wheelchair with a little boy on her lap. He stood and watched her for a moment or two.
He noticed that she looked very comfortable with the boy there on her lap. She played with him and laughed with him for a few minutes then Robby came into the room and she set him back onto her lap and stopped bouncing him.



Bridget saw Robby come in so she took Farley and set him back on her lap. She was very happy when he came into the teen lounge. He was a happy little boy and he had cancer. Luckily he was only four so he didn’t know what cancer was.
“Say, hi Robby,” she giggled as she heard Farley try to say it, but fail. She watched as Robby picked Farley up carefully and put him in front of the kiddy table so he could play with the blocks then he helped her into a chair behind him.
“Oh, Robby,” she said as she started to cry. He reached out and held her for a minute. Then Drake and Kelly walked in holding hands. Bridget was facing the door, so she saw them first.
She stopped crying immediately and let go of Robby. “What,” she nearly screamed, “the hell is going on here?” Just after she screamed that Faith and Frankie walked into the lounge. Bridget told everyone to sit down and them started asking the questions.
“Kelly, why were you holding hands with my brother if you’re engaged?”
“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” Kelly said, sounding scared; a deer caught in the headlights.
“Are you telling me—, you mean he’s your—, and you’re his—,” she stumbled.
“Yes.” Kelly said quietly while looking at her feet.
“Robby, can you get me some water, please?”
“Of, course.” He kissed her on the cheek on his way out of the room.
“So that’s him, is it?” Frankie said gruffly.
“Yes, that’s him and if you don’t like him, I’ll hit you with my cast,” Bridget snapped at him.
“He seems old. Is he?”
“He’s—He’s—,” she tried to talk, but couldn’t breath. None of her family had noticed. Robby walked back in and noticed immediately. He called to the nurse, “Althea, call Bridget’s doctor. NOW!” He walked quickly over to Bridget and took her hand. “Hold on, B. You’re going to be fine. Try to breath slowly. Small slow breaths.” She started to be able to breathe a very little bit but still not enough.
“Robby, out of the way,” Doctor Mungo said as he walked in. He got Robby to help him lay Bridget on the floor. He pushed slowly on her chest then paused. Almost like CPR, but not as serious. “Bridget Can you breath?”
“Yes,” Bridget said finally catching her breath.
“Why were you so upset?”
“Them,” she said pointing to her brothers and Kelly. “Everyone but Faith and Robby has been upsetting me. Giving me bad news and,” she started to loose her breath again.
“Stop. I’m going to have to give you a test or two to see what’s going on okay?”
“Sure. What test?”
“A CAT scan.”
“What!?”



“Bridget, don’t get scared you’re going to be fine,” Robby said trying to calm her down.
“I’m getting a CAT scan and you’re telling me not to be scared?” she snapped back at him.
“Bridget, I’m sorry, I am so sorry. I know you’ll never forgive me, but I have a gift for you. I’ll drop it off tomorrow around five.” Kelly said before walking out of the room.
Drake followed her, but not before saying, “Buffy, I just wanted you to know that we never meant to hurt you. We both love you so much.”
“Don’t ever call me that again,” she said angrily as he left the room. Faith and Frankie were still sitting across the room. “You knew?”
“Yes,” Frankie said hanging his head.
“No,” Faith said looking at Frankie like he was on fire.
“I like You, Robby. You saved my sister, what, twice already? You’re a good man. How old are you?” Frankie shook Robby’s hand as he said this.
“Twenty-two. You?”
“Twenty-four. Drake is twenty in September.”
“Oh. I thought he was older than me.”



“Robby, can you wheel Bridget down now? Or would her brother like to do it?” Dr. Mungo asked politely.
“I wanted all three of you to take me,” Bridget said.
“Well, you can pick one person to sit across the room and talk to you while you’re in there. But, there is a window and the other two can watch. It’s in room forty-two, when you decide.”
“Robby, you go in we’ll sit outside and watch,” Frankie said taking Faith’s hand. They had always been best friends and Bridget had been their friend too. Seeing Faith crying, and Frankie looking scared for the first time she could remember, made her very sad that she had made them feel this way. Robby unlocked her chair and wheeled her down the hall.
He waited outside while the doctors prepped her. When they were down she was lifted onto a silver table. They told her that when they said so, she had to stop moving and if she had to sneeze or something try to stop it as best as she could.
“Okay, Bridget, we need you to stop moving and we’re going to start now, okay?”
“Yes,” she said clearly then lay still with her eyes closed.



“Bridget, I know you can’t answer any questions so I won’t ask any. When the doctors were prepping you I was talking to Faith and Frankie. They had a few things they want me to tell you. Faith is pregnant! Yay! And Frankie is getting married to a very nice woman, at least, that’s what Faith called her. She is Twenty-three and she’s a pre-school teacher.
“Speaking of school, In about an hour and a half, when this is over, I’ll set up your laptop in your room and we can see if you got into FSU yet. I think you did! When we know that you did we can tell your parents and they can send your tuition. When we know for absolute sure that you’re going we can go apartment hunting, right? Sorry, don’t try to answer that.” He told her all of this very slowly and as he finished he noticed she was crying steadily. A heavy flow of tears was streaming down her face.
“Hey, B, don’t cry baby. You’re going to be just fine,” he said trying to cheer her up. He talked to her the whole time. When they told her she could move again she curled up into a ball and started to sob. Robby rushed over and scooped her into a hug.
The three Johnson’s and Robby went back to Bridget’s room. Bridget didn’t need anyone to push her wheelchair, because she wouldn’t let go of Robby, so he carried her all the way back to her room.
When they got there she still wouldn’t let go so he sat on the bed with her right next to him. She cried for a long time then finally she stopped.
“Why were you crying?” Faith asked her while grabbing for her hand.
“I am so happy for you and Frankie and Kelly and Drake. It just makes me so sad to think that in this time when you are all so happy, I am making your lives, and Robby’s, so upsetting.” They all protested at once. Frankie and Robby went to get dinner from a restaurant across the street and Bridget talked with Faith.



“Bridget, Lanh and I have been trying for a long time to have another baby. I found out about you being back in here yesterday not long after I told the kids that mommy was going to have another baby. I wanted to come right away but we didn’t have a babysitter available and Lanh wasn’t home yet so I had to sit with Cadeo and Addison. I hope I’m having a girl.”
“Me too. We can take her shopping and dress her up to look really pretty and we can spoil her silly,” Bridget said quietly. She was getting very tired. “Are you going to be surprised or will you find out ahead of time?”
“We’re finding out soon. If it’s a girl she can’t share a room with the boys so they’ll be in together. Wow I have a four year old, a three year old, and a five month conceived baby. I’m a little worried though because my stomach is very big for it only being the fifth month. Don’t you think?”
“Hahaha, yea, a little.” Bridget went into a coughing fit and took a sip of water. She then lay her head down on the pillow and went to sleep. Faith got up and went to the restaurant across the street.
Robby and Frankie were becoming fast friends. They had a lot of things in common, they liked the same football team, they both loved Bridget but weren’t sure that she knew it, and many other things.



Robby and the twins were finished dinner and headed back to the hospital with Bridget’s when his phone started to ring. He pulled it out and answered it, “Menzel.”
“Robby, it’s Althea, Bridget is sick we need you now.” When Robby heard the word ‘Bridget’ he started to run. He ran as fast as he could into the hospital and, slowing down only slightly, up to Bridget’s room.
He saw her, looking ashen and gray hugging her knees and rocking back and forth. He stood at the door for a moment then went over and tried to sit with her. “Get away from me.” She said calm but angrily.
“Bridget what’s wrong?” he asked her quietly.
“Who are you, why are you here?” Bridget said and after a moment or two, when he didn’t answer, she asked, “Why won’t you leave me alone?”
“Bridget, I’m Robby Menzel we’ve been dating for a few weeks. I’m here because I care about you and I won’t leave you alone because there is something wrong with this situation here.” She processed this information for a minute or two and after thinking about it she came around.
“Oh, Robby!” she said as she pulled him into a big hug. He hugged her back for a moment then he pulled away.



“Robby, what happened?” she asked, shaking. “I couldn’t remember anything. I didn’t know Althea or you. I was scared. Don’t leave me again, Bobby.”
“Oh, B, honey,” he said starting to rock her back and forth. He signaled to Althea to call the doctor again. “I know you’re scared but try not to get upset or you’ll stop breathing again, right?” He felt her nod against his chest. He waited for the doctor to come. The doctor walked into the room and Robby made to leave so he could give Bridget another checkup. To his surprise Bridget held him back and wouldn’t let go.
“Robby, you can stay,” Dr. Mungo said to him. “Bridget, he can stay but you have to let go of him okay?” Bridget nodded again and let him go.
Robby watched as the doctor put pressure on different area of her head, spoke at different levels in her ear and asked her some questions. He said that she seemed fine but he’d look extra carefully at her CAT scan for anything that could explain this.
The doctor left the room to get the scans and look at them immediately.



Bridget, Robby, and the twins sat together for about forty-five minutes while waiting for the doctor to return. When he did he pulled his chair next to her bed and looked her in the eye. “Do you want me to give you the medical version or the quick one?”
“The quick one, please.”
“Okay. You’re not responding to treatment and I need to give you different medication. I’m going to up your chemo dosage and you will take three pills at nine in the morning and two pills at nine at night. You will be able to get upset and still breath and your cancer should go back into remission. The sudden and brief memory loss; we have nothing to help that. I’m sorry.” He said this very slowly and tried to keep her calm.
Bridget collapsed into Robby’s arms and cried. The doctor got up and left the room. Frankie and faith kissed Bridget on her head and promised to be back tomorrow. Bridget cried herself to sleep. When Robby was sure she was in a deep sleep, he went back to his bed.



Robby woke to find it five minutes to two. He quickly brushed his teeth and hair and washed his face and hands. Then he headed down to the chemo room. Bridget was in the chair hooked up and asleep. Robby grabbed the newspaper on the table next to her and read the whole thing.
When he was finished the nurse came in and unhooked Bridget and asked Robby, “Should I wake her or are going to wheel her?”
“I’ll wheel her,” he replied. So he lifted her into her chair and she stirred slightly. When she saw him she smiled and dozed off again. He wheeled her back to her room and then he put her in bed. When she was snuggled between the sheets he started to set up his laptop.

Bridget woke up and looked around the room for Robby. When she saw that he wasn’t there she started to wonder where he went. She sat up and ran her hands across her bald head. She picked up her cane and shuffled her way to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and washed her face.
“Buffy?” she heard the old nickname being called in her room. She stumbled out of the bathroom to see Kelly and Drake standing there hand in hand.
“What? Why are you here? Why did you call me that? You know I hate it when you call me that,” she waited for a moment or two for an answer. When she didn’t get one she said, al most yelling, “Well?”
“Bridget,” Kelly started, “I don’t want you to be mad at your brothers. Frankie found out by accident and we swore him to secrecy. Drake has wanted to tell you ever since we were set up on a blind date together. He thought you’d be ok with it. Apparently, you’re not. Be mad at me if you’ll be mad at anyone. Ok?”
“Fine. I’m mad at you. What do you want now?”
“Well I wanted to give you these,” she pointed to quite few bags and a stack of boxes on the floor next to the door.
“What are they?” Bridget asked. She started moving back to her bed and stumbled. Drake darted and caught her. He carried her over to her bed and set her down.
“You may not have remembered, but I did,” Kelly said smiling. “Today is Friday, June twenty-third,” Bridget started to cry. Today was her nineteenth birthday. “These are presents from Drake and I. We didn’t wrap them because we knew we wouldn’t be allowed in the hospital with them. Here, Drake help me with this,” They brought over all of the bags and boxes and set them next to her on the bed.



Robby walked in with breakfast for two; coffee for him and tea for her, and two cinnamon buns. He quickly set them down and came and kneeled next to Bridget.
“Hey, why so sad?”
“I forgot. Did you remember?”
“Yeah. I’ve got a surprise for later. You forgot?”
Bridget nodded. “Not sad, happy. Very happy,” she took Kelly 's hand. “For everyone. Congratulations.”
“Thanks, B,” She leaned down and gave her a hug. She then showed her an engagement ring that had a diamond in the middle and it was surrounded with iolite. It was a 2.5 carat round cut diamond with tiny round cut iolite stones surrounding it, set in a white gold band. It was breathtaking. “Like it?”
“It’s gorgeous. I love it,” Bridget said slowly. “Wait a minute! Isn’t that—,”
“Now, B, I had permission.” Drake started to explain.
“You took it? You took grandma’s ring? You took it out of my safe? How’d you get the key?” Bridget said, not angry but amazed and surprised.



“Bridget, what’s going on here?” Robby cut in.
“That ring, along with three others that had the same stones but were different, were given to me after grandma died. I have kept them safe in the same place since then. The bag has been hidden for four years. I never moved it. How did you find it?”
“Mom told me where it was. She told me that it was in your sweatpants drawer in between the bottom piece of wood and the floor. I told her I was going to propose to my girlfriend and she said that grandma wanted the rings to be used for all of our marriages. She wanted them used.
“After Robby had come back out of remission she noticed how you stopped eating and got physically sick with worry. She didn’t think that you’d ever get married, or at least anytime soon. So she told us where the key was. If we ever were getting engaged we were to go and pick one of the rings.”
“Oh my god. Does she really think I’ll never get married?” Bridget asked about to cry again. “Kelly I’m too tired to open the gifts right now if you’d come back in about twelve hours, I’d be glad to wait and do it then. That way we can invite Frankie and Faith. We can all be together. Ok?”
“Sure. I’ll see you tomorrow at six, then? Before work?”
“Yeah.” So Kelly and drake kissed her goodbye and put the gifts on the table across the room. When they left Bridget kissed Robby on the cheek and climbed into her bed. And turned off the light.



Robby looked at her laying in her bed. She was curled up on the left side staring out the window. Robby could hear her sniffling. He went around to the right side of her bed and took of his shoes. He set the alarm and climbed into bed with Bridget. He cuddled her and rubbed her back until she fell asleep. It was an hour or so before she dozed but he heard her whisper to herself before she fell asleep, “I’m a failure.”
The alarm went off at five o’clock in the morning, telling them to get up. Robby opened his eyes and saw Bridget sitting in a chair by the window crying. He climbed out of bed and sat in a chair opposite her.
“Why so sad, B?”
“I’m a failure at life.”
“What?”
“My own mother lost hope for me when I was sixteen. My father told me repeatedly, ‘Where are you going to college? Nowhere I bet. You don’t care.’ They both told me to be good for something. I’m not.”
“Bridget, this attitude isn’t you. I bet I can cheer you up.”
“How?”
“Let’s check your e-mail.”
“Ok,” she said rubbing her head. She had absolutely no hair. She looked pale and gray. They booted up the computer and started to go through her mail.



Bridget gasped when they opened the e-mail from FSU and there were balloons and confetti all over the page. “I got in. Robby, I got in,” she whispered to him.
“I knew you would,” He said smiling and he kissed her. She kissed him for a few minutes and then a noise at the door caused them to turn around. Kelly and Drake walked in with Faith, Frankie, and Lanh in tow.
“We’re not interrupting anything are we?” Kelly asked with a smirk on her face.
“Nope. I just got into college. Robby and I are going to FSU.”
“Bridget that’s awesome.” They all sat and opened her presents and talked and laughed. Bridget got many very nice gifts. They were there for about an hour before Frankie, Lanh, Drake, and Kelly had to leave to go to work for the day. They left with promises of dropping in over the next few days.
When they all left Faith politely asked Robby to leave for a minute so she could have a word with Bridget. “Bridget, guess what?”
“What?”
“I’m having girls. Three! The doctor told me today, before we came here. I want your help to pick their names. Lanh and I discussed naming one Bridget, but we knew you’d say no just like Frankie and Drake said no to us naming the boys after them. So, what names?”
“Liliana, Lili for short. It’s a Czech name meaning ‘loved by the people.’ Alma, Alli for short. It’s a Latvian name meaning ‘soul.’ And Tormi, Tori for short. It’s an Estonian name meaning ‘essential.’ The meanings all fit the situation. Lili will be loved by the people, or us. Alli will have a soft soul, for you’re her mother. And Tori will be essential,” Bridget said after taking a minute to think about it.
“How do you do that?”
“Do what?”
“Always know what names to give to newborns and what they mean.”
“I studied names in high school. They’re sort of my passion, if you know what I mean.”



Robby walked in right then and said, “Bridget, the doctor wants to talk to you. He said he’d be down in a minute or two and that we should leave the room,” He said signaling to Faith. They left the room and watched the doctor go in to see Bridget. He shut the door behind him so they walked down the hall to get some coffee.



Bridget was very nervous while she was waiting for the doctor to come in the room. He pulled the doctor chair up next to her bed. He asked her how she was feeling.
“I fell better since I have taken the new pills twice. I haven’t forgotten who I am again and I got into college. I couldn’t feel better. What’s this about?”
“Well, yesterday’s chemo results came in and I had to triple check that they were yours. Bridget, your cancer has turned around. Your white blood cells are coming back down and it’s going into remission. Now, don’t get your hopes up too high. You’ll stay here for another week or so. We are prepared to let you leave here on the thirtieth of June and you’ll come back for one check up on the third of July. Is this all sounding ok to you?”
“Ok? Ok? This is wonderful!”
“Now, keep that attitude and if you continue in this pattern we’ll let you go in a week.”
“Thank you so much. When do my casts come off?”
“The arm one stays on for another two weeks and the leg one comes off the day you leave. You’ll wear a brace, for a week and use crutches. Then after that week you’ll only wear the brace when sleeping and you won’t need the crutches.”
“Thank you so much!”
“I’ll let Robby and your sister know that they can come back in, ok?”
“Of course!”



Robby ran into Bridget’s room and asked what the doctor said. “I’m going into remission, Robby. I’m getting better!” The minute Robby heard the word remission he picked Bridget up off of her bed and swung her in a circle. Then he kissed her. He kissed her like he had never kissed her before.
“I’ll wait outside,” Faith said right after she walked in and saw them in their happy embrace.
Robby usually would have been embarrassed, but he was too happy for Bridget. He kissed her for another minute then he put her back on her bed.
“Faith, get in here,” Bridget said loudly. When Faith walked back in she asked what the joyous occasion was. “I’m going into remission, again!”
“Oh, Buffy—,” Faith started but stopped short. “Sorry, I forgot.”
“You know, I’m starting to like the ring of it. Again.”
“I am so happy for you,” Faith said as she gave her little sister a hug. Robby, faith and Bridget talked for a little while longer, but then Bridget had to go in for chemo. While Bridget was in chemo, they called her parents. They said congratulations and that they’d wire the money to the school immediately. They didn’t say anything about her condition or ask how she was doing.



Bridget tried so hard not to get sick after chemo. But, it didn’t work; she couldn’t keep it down this time. Robby had brought her back to her room, but before they had even got there she felt nausea come over her. She said, “Faster.” So Robby went faster and wheeled her right into the bathroom. She expected him to leave after she was in there, but he stayed and rubbed her back. Saying, “It’s ok. Let it out. You’ll feel better.”
Bridget went to bed after she had brushed her teeth and felt not as nauseous. Robby pulled out West Side Story and started reading to her. She liked this story. She fell asleep after only five minutes of reading. So Robby tucked her in and got online.
He started looking for apartments in Florida. He knew that Bridget would be glad to get away from her parents for a while. Going to college seemed like a good way to do it. So he searched and searched he book marked a few places that seemed eligible. When he came across a very generous offer and it was ready to be bought immediately he had a wonderful idea.
He went out to the nurses’ station and asked what Bridget’s release date was. They told him that if all goes well, she’ll be let out on the thirtieth but she had to come back on the third for a checkup. Robby went back to his computer and started to make plans. Plans to make Bridget forget all about this summer.



Robby noticed how everything went very smoothly after that. After church on Sunday, Faith brought Lanh and their two boys, Cadeo and Addison, for a short visit. Then on Monday, Frankie brought his fiancé, by to meet Bridget. They got along very well. Tuesday they had no visitors so Robby and Bridget put a movie into his laptop and they watched it from beginning to end, twice.
Kelly and Drake stopped by every so often. On their lunch breaks they’d come and sit with Bridget during chemo. Or they’d help out with the little things; scratching an itch inside Bridget’s cast, helping her into her wheelchair, or anything else along those lines. Bridget stopped getting sick after chemo and was very optimistic. On Thursday, after Bridget had her chemo, everyone came to pack up her stuff and help take it home.
“I propose a toast,” Faith started bye holding up her paper cup of apple juice. “To health, everyone’s health, and to babysitters! We found one that we can call any time of any day and she’ll come over and watch Cadeo and Addison. To Frankie and Adelina, a long happy life for the both of you. To Drake and Kelly, a long happy life for the both of you. To Bridget and Robby, good luck in college.”
“Hear, hear,” everyone shouted at the same time. Then everyone started to mingle.



Bridget beckoned Adelina over and said to her, “Your name day is March eighteenth, October twentieth or August twenty-eighth. It means ‘noble and serene.’”
“August twenty-eight, my birthday. Noble meaning showing qualities of moral character, and serene meaning unclouded or fair.” Bridget stared open-mouthed when she answered the way that she did. “Frankie told me that you studied names in high school and I was amazed. I thought I was the only person who could tell most people their name day and meaning. Your name day is July 13th, and it comes from the name Brighid meaning ‘the exalted one.’ Exalted
meaning—,”
“Praised, honored and glorified. My name day isn’t my birthday though, it’s the day I was supposed to be born,” Bridget interrupted without hesitation. “I like you. You’ll be good for my brother.”
“I like you too.” Everyone said their good byes and Robby picked up all of her stuff except one small bag with a change of clothes for the next day. He said he’d be back in less than an hour and then he left. He came back and they went to bed.
In the morning they quickly got Bridget changed and he took her down to chemo. They played Rummy a few times and Bridget won all three. When her chemo was almost over her doctor walked in and said, “Bridget, I need you to wait in the waiting room when you’re done here so we can take a look at your test results. The nurse will take you out there. Robby, I need a word.”



Robby followed the doctor out of the room and asked him, “Is everything ok, doc?”
“Yes, everything’s fine,” The doctor told him. “It’s just that, Bridget had told me that her parents were in Paris. Is that true?”
“Yes, sir, it is.”
“Well, she can’t go home alone. One of her brothers or her sister will have to stay with her.”
“Couldn’t I?”
“No. Well, I mean yes you could, but we need to know that a family member is there at all times.”
“Ok. I’ll call Faith.”
“Good. Well, I have to ask Dr. Vienno to remove her casts while I look at her test results and then you can take her home. I need you to promise me that until her next appointment that Faith will be there at the house with her.”
“I promise.” So Robby went to the pay phone and called Faith. She said that Lanh had the weekend off so she’d be glad to come over. He said that he’d pick her up on their way home. Then he went to find Bridget.



Bridget was ecstatic. She could walk! Well, sort of. She practiced using her crutches in the waiting room and found that she was pretty good. Her leg didn’t hurt when she leaned on it at all.. Robby sat with her until the doctor came out and announced her cured. She thanked him and told him that she and Robby would be back on the third for her appointment.
“Where are we going?” Bridget asked when she realized that they weren’t headed to her house, but the complete opposite way.
“Faith’s house. We have to pick her up. She’s going to be your babysitter for the next three days.”
“Do I really need one?”
“Yes. I promised the doctor she’d be there.”
“Why can’t you?”
“Because he said that it needs to be family.”
“Oh.” That was all that was said until they picked Faith up. She had the bulging belly of a mother pregnant with triplets. She was beaming and carried a small duffel bag. She climbed into the back of Robby’s car and said, “So, B, how are you feeling today?”
“Pretty good,” Bridget said smiling. “You look great, by the way.”
“Oh, in this?”
“Yes.”
“Thanks.”
“Anytime. I love telling the truth,” and it was the truth. Faith looked very young in a pink sundress with horizontal stripes of blue and yellow. It looked as if it was made of a very thin cotton. “It looks really light.”
“Oh, it is. It’s too hot to wear anything heavy. It’s ninety five today.”
“Really? That high?” Bridget said, not really interested in talking about the weather.
“Yup.”



Robby could see the sadness in Bridget’s eyes. She was trying to hide it but he knew, he always knew. He drove all the way to her house without saying anything. Faith grabbed hers and Bridget’s bags and Robby got out to help Bridget. His Ford Escape Hybrid was difficult for her to get out of. He lifted her and was about to set her down when she asked quietly, “Can you carry me to my room?”
“Of course. Your bed, or couch?” He asked as he picked up her crutches too.
“The couch please,” she said resting her head on his shoulder. He could feel how light she had become from her short hospital stay. She had always been thin. She was a dancer. She had been for most of her life. Ballet. She was amazing, too. She hadn’t danced in weeks. Suddenly, he knew why she was sad.
“B?”
“Mmm?” she mumbled snuggling into his shoulder as they went up the stairs.
He paused slightly before asking, “Will you dance again when this is over?”
“What?” She sat up right after Robby had lain her down on the couch.
“You know, ballet?” He asked quietly, looking at his shoes.
“I don’t know. I haven’t danced since my last recital. Since before I got cancer again. Since before you left.” Robby sat down on the couch with her. “When you left a lot of things changed. I stopped dancing and singing. I still work out I just don’t do my barre exercises. I was sad without you. I want to dance now but I can’t with my cast and my brace on.”
“One day, the day they come off, will you dance for me? Do any dance you want. Even if you’re just practicing, just let me watch you dance. And sing. I want to hear you sing again, too.”
“Ok,” Bridget said right before she yawned. Then she lay back and fell asleep.




“Bridget, we have to get you on a normal sleeping schedule. We are going to sleep at night and not in the daytime, ok?” Bridget woke to Faith’s voice saying things that didn’t make sense. She opened her eyes and sunlight made them burn. She looked around and saw that she was in her bed. She remembered now. Faith let her take an hour long nap then had woke her. She kept her awake with food and games. Around nine she let her go to sleep.
“Ok,” she said as she rolled over to the side of her king sized bed. She reached for her crutches and stood up. “I’ll be down for breakfast in a little bit. I’m going to take a shower first.”
“Alright. Let me put on your cast cover.” Faith put the plastic, waterproof cover on Bridget’s cast and then kissed her on the cheek.
Bridget wandered into her bathroom and turned on her boom box. She noticed that it was on tape and not tuner. She pushed play and heard her favorite song come on. Pachabel’s cannon. Originally written in 1680 for three violins and a basso continuo. Chamber music written in the baroque period by Johann Pachabel; organist, baroque composer, and teacher. . Also known as ‘Cannon in D major’ or ‘Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur für drei Violinen und Basso Continuo.’
She let the whole tape play as she took her shower. When she got out she toweled her leg very carefully and put the brace back on. She took off her cast cover and went into her closet to put an outfit together that matched her yellow cast. She decided on a simple yellow dress made of a silk-cotton blend. It was trimmed with a very pale pink silk and it came to just above her knees. She picked out a pink scarf that matched and tied it around her head.
Robby was so excited about going to see Bridget. He hadn’t spent more than an hour away from her in a over a week and he had just spent nearly twelve away from her. He showered and dressed. He wore khaki shorts, a light blue button down t-shirt, worn open, a white beater, and a pair of black Reebok sneakers. He ate some breakfast then got in his car.
When Bridget heard Robby pull up outside she grabbed her crutches and went as fast as she could to the door. She opened it and invited him inside. She followed him over to the couch, where he sat down and she sat on the edge because she couldn’t bend her right leg. “Here,” Robby said as he pulled her leg up and laid it across his lap. He unsnapped the brace and said, “Stop me if I hurt you.”
He slowly massaged her leg. It felt nice. His big, warm hands slowly warming the muscle in her leg. He started at her knee and worked downward. When he reached her ankle, Bridget let out a cry of pain and pulled her leg away. It hurt worse when she moved. She let it drop to the floor and leaned back into the couch biting her lip. Robby quickly put the brace back on and knelt beside her.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I didn’t mean—,”
“It’s ok, neither did I. I thought it was better.” She said while taking shallow breaths. “Come here,” She said and pulled Robby up on the couch next to her. She kissed him on the nose. “I know what I’m going to major in.”
“Oh, yeah what’s that?
“Dance. FSU has a wonderful theatre program. I meant to ask, what are you majoring in?”


Robby thought about it for a moment then replied, “Education. I’m going to be a teacher. My dad is a friend of the headmaster at this cute school in Elizabeth City. He said I have a very good chance of becoming a teacher there. He wants me to teach fourth grade. This requires me moving though. It’s over an hour away. I wouldn’t want to drive that everyday.”
“Oh.”
“I’ll be right back, ok? I have to go ask Faith something. You don’t have to get up I’ll go. She in the kitchen?”
“Yes,” Bridget said suddenly feeling very tired.
Robby walked into the Kitchen and told Faith about his master plan. She said it would definitely work so Robby went upstairs to Bridget’s closet and found her sweatpants drawer. He pulled out the drawer and found the bag underneath. He pulled it out and Reached inside there were two rings.
One had a heart shaped diamond with round cut iolite stones surrounding it and the other had a round cut diamond with heart shaped iolite stones running down the band of the ring. Both were set in white gold. He chose the one with the round cut diamond. He slipped it into his pocket and went downstairs.



“Bridget, wake up,” Robby said as he shook her gently. “We’re going out for dinner tonight. Be ready at five. Faith will help you get ready.”
“You’re leaving?”
“I have to. I’ll be back at five though, don’t worry.”
“Ok,” Bridget said while trying to get up to give him a kiss. He put his arms beneath her and lifted her to a standing position. He leaned down and kissed her. Then he turned around and waved as he walked out.
“Faith, come here,” Bridget yelled as soon as the door closed behind Robby.
“Yeah?” Faith said as she walked into the room. “Oh, you clumsy fool. Dropping your crutches won’t do any good.”
“I’m going to ’70 NAILS.’ I want to get mine done for tonight. Also, I need to find an outfit in Kelly’s store with a matching scarf. I’ll be back in a while.”
“B,” Faith said, “You can’t drive.”
“Yes I can. I’ll be fine. If you’re really that worried, come with me. But, I’m still driving.” Faith said to give her a moment and she’d meet Bridget out at her car. It took a while to get in because she couldn’t bend her right leg. She finally got in and felt good. She loved to drive. She drove carefully through back roads to Kelly’s store. When they got there Bridget had a much easier time getting out of the car than in.
“Find me an outfit,” Bridget said to Faith as they walked in. They looked for a while and finally decided on a simple pale, pink, silk blouse, with a pair of form fitting black dress pants. When Kelly and Faith had both approved shoes and accessories they drove home, stopping only at ’70 NAILS’ to their nails done.

Robby knew that Bridget was going to look amazing and he was very excited. He got ready and drove over to Bridget’s at five oh five. When he got there he went up to the door and walked in. He saw her right inside looking gorgeous.
“Hello, gorgeous. Ready to go?” Robby said leaning against the wall with a grin on his face.
“Hello, you. Yes. I am ready. Wipe that stupid grin off your face,” she said smiling. She knew he was laughing at her because she had a brace on over her pants and her yellow cast didn’t match the outfit at all. He opened the door and she swung herself outside into the warm summer evening. She went around to the passenger side door and opened it. She put her crutches down on the floor and went to get in the car. Robby came around and lifted her up before she could. He sat her in the front seat and shut the door.
“Where exactly are we going?
“Well, I remember you once telling me that you liked Italian food so I took the liberty of ordering ahead of time for us. I ordered a grilled seafood salad to start, then, moving into the main course, salmon baked in foil, and for desert, profiteroles with ricotta mascarpones.”
“That sounds delicious. But, where are we going?”
“Oh, right,” Robby said pulling off to the side of the road. He got out and walked around to her side of the car. He opened her door and stepped up on the side bar. He pulled out a piece of cloth and tied it over her scarf and over her eyes. “Can you see?”
“No.”
“Good,” he said as he got back in the car. He explained to her that if she took off the blindfold it would ruin everything. So, she left it where it was. When they reached their destination, Robby got out and carried her inside. He put her in her chair and took off her blindfold.



Bridget was confused. “Wait a minute. Why are we here?” Bridget said as she looked around. They were at Robby’s house. In his dining room.
“Because I cooked for you,” He said as he brought out her salad. He got his own and sat down with her. They ate and talked and when their plates were empty he went and got their main courses. They both finished very quickly and then he brought out dessert. It was a bowl turned upside down on a plate he set it in front of Bridget and said to her, “I love you. I have for a very long time. For a while I thought, she’d never go out with me, I’m unhealthy.’ But I ridiculed myself. You don’t judge people like that.
“So, what I’m getting at here is, do you love me? Or, do you want dessert?”
“What?” She went from a smiling gleeful face to a confused and sad one.
“Look under the bowl.” So she did. There was one of her grandmother’s rings. Her favorite one. “Will you marry me?” She looked at him; he was on one knee in front of her. Picking up the ring, he grabbed her right hand.
“Yes.”
“Well, since I can’t put the ring on the correct finger this one will have to do, won’t it?” They both laughed as he put the ring on the wrong hand. Her cast was covering most of her hand and her ring and pinky fingers. She kissed him and they hugged for a long time. After dinner Robby took her home. He left her at the door with a promise to see her tomorrow.
© Copyright 2007 Brittany (readinghere at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1288670-Bridget--Robby