*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1292477-Common-Errors-in-Short-Stories
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Writing · #1292477
Writing tips to help avoid errors, Short Stories Newsletter July 25
         As I pondered what topic to use for this issue of Short Stories Newsletter, my August The Writer arrived. The title of one article caught my attention, "How to fix 3 common fiction errors."

         I'll admit that I haven't read the article yet, but the title triggered the subject for the newsletter. After I write my article, I'll read theirs and see if anything overlaps.

Viv


Next week's editor may be a surprise.


Common Errors in Short Stories


         If we're going to treat our writing seriously, then we have to be serious about improving how and what we write. Rather than resist suggestions and ideas because we don't want to take the effort needed, we have to force ourselves, if needed, to take those extra steps to write better stories. One step is to avoid and erase errors. I may not be able to cover all the possible errors, but the following are some of the mistakes to avoid.

Too much detail and information. Remember, short stories are short. If too many sub-plots, too much information, too many characters find their way way into the story, the length moves from short story to novella or novel. A short story needs to be more compact and concise than either a novella or novel. Therefore, the writer needs to decide on one plot, one major conflict, and what details are absolutely necessary to move the story along.

Too much exposition at the beginning. We have a short (pun intended) time to catch the attention of a reader. Therefore, a writer needs to "hook" the reader immediately. Starting with some action is one good technique. If action can't be used at the very beginning, then have some within the first three or four (and that's stretching it) paragraphs.

Confusion. Mixing format, construction, thesis, structure, or points of view results in the reader being confused. Also not following the guidelines for the genre can result in readers who expect certain elements that are missing or misused. Having the mechanics correct is a must.

No originality. There are no new basic ideas left, true, but each idea can be addressed differently. A writer should be able to "twist" the old idea in a new way or concept.

Not researching. Even stories need to have correct information. Placing a real town in the wrong part of a state causes a lack of credibility.

         *Picks up article and reads it.* Interesting: I have five errors to avoid, and this article has three. Two points slightly fit with one of mine, Confusion . Peter Selgin, in his article ("The usual SUSPECTS," The Writer August 2007), states that mishandling of viewpoint is one of the largest problems. His second error is the failure to distinguish between background, flashback, and present story: ah, confusion. His third problem is the withholding of information or failure to provide vital statistics, that a story writer's job is to tell stories, not hide them.

         Hopefully the errors to avoid given will help you write better stories.


Stories from the Site


         Please read and review at least some of the following selections.

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Tried & True  [E]
Mrs. Banks, you've got 90 days
by kjo just groovin'

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

 The Talisman  [13+]
Controlling time ~ or can it be beaten? ~ Do Your Shorts Have Legs ~ Honorable Mention ^_^
by Kate - Writing & Reading

 Johanna  [13+]
All of these things really did happen to me, in one way or another.
by Kyle M

 The Stash of Gold  [E]
The story of a hidden treasure
by Wren

The Ventriloquist CLOSED  [18+]
Short story contest, based on character prompts, focusing on voice
by Anne Light


A contest:

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor




Words from our Readers


feegreen
         Hi, Vivian! Great short story newsletter! I especially like the suggestion to 'filch from our fears.' Thanks for sharing these useful ideas! :)

         Our own minds can provide so much material to use in our writing: our hopes, dreams, ideas, fears, short-comings. We just have to be unafraid to use it.


Fallser
Vivian,
         This was a wonderful newsletter. I collect newspaper articles too and was happy to see that was one of the suggestions. I am sorry, though, to hear about your loss. I hope writing about it has been helpful to you.
         I will save this newsletter! Thanks again.

         Writing about the loss of a niece wasn't easy, but I felt it needed to be brought out to the sunshine. However, some didn't understand the message.


daydreamer13
         This newsletter was fascinating! I had no idea how much information I had lying around just waiting to be used in some short story or novel. Thanks for opening my eyes Viv!

         Thank you very much. I'm glad to know I was able to help.


likenion
         Cool techniques! Loved the newsletter! Keep going!
Great job!

         I'm glad you liked the techniques. Encouragement helps keep editors going.



So long until next time. I hope you read and write more stories.

** Image ID #1284498 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2007 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1292477-Common-Errors-in-Short-Stories