*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1293447-TRAIN-Rusty-Dirty-and-Dusty
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1293447
A train learns a lesson when he shows his true colors whiling helping others.
Train wasn’t fancy. He wasn’t colorful to look at.He was just dusty, rusty and dirty. 
Train didn’t like to help anyone, anymore.  He was becoming selfish and stale.
“Moving people from here to there, just isn’t my thing anymore, and I’m finished,” he would say.But he wasn’t always this way.

He would ride through mountains. He would ride under the sea.He would ride through villages where everyone would be.Taking people back and forth was one of Train’s special things to do, the other was racing other race cars, too.

But all he could think about was himself, and how to take shortcuts and ignore people who stood in his way.  And during some very lonely times, he would think about the color he once had.  The color on his train, the color that made people brighten up and smile, the color that made him shine. 
Train used to see the greens of trees, the reds of flowers, the blues of the sky and the oranges and yellows of the sun.

But when Train sees himself, now-a-days, all he sees is something dirty, dusty, and rusty…and nothing of color.

One fine morning, The Grandmaster asked Train for some help. “We’re busy today, Train, and I need your help. Would you mind taking these fine people to their connecting stations and help us out a bit?” 
Train wasn’t very happy, but all he could say was," yes."  At least he would get out and see some color, for a change.

As soon as Train turned around, a little girl about to board Train with her mother, noticed how dirty Train was and said, “Mommy, this train looks dusty, rusty and dirty.  I have a hanky.  Maybe I can clean him up, just like my dolly?”  The mother looked down, and smiled.  Train looked away, shamefully, from the little girl.  He noticed it himself, but didn’t want to smile.  All he did was frown.  And, grumpily, he pulled out of the station and started his journey. 

Ironically, Train noticed he couldn’t take the shortcut to their station because of the sign that read, Boulders Falling.  So he took the long route.  The route that made everyone just gasp and awe.  The same route he used to take before he got dirty, the same route that reminds him of colors and lots of them.  As he got more comfortable with the ride, Train traveled through the sea, where everyone could see the bluest of skies, the greenest of trees, the swooshing of fish and the brightest of suns.  The little girl looked over at her mother and was so over-joyed with happiness, she began to laugh and giggle, all through the ride.  The other passengers smiled, too.  And that made Train relax, and the ride became easy. 

As Train pulled into their destination, the little girl was so excited, she asked her mom to ride the train again.  Her mother just nodded and smiled.  And as they both walked away, the little girl tilting from holding onto her mother, and waving good-bye, yelled out, “Thank-you, Train!  I hope to see you again?”  And Train bashfully smiled. 

At that very instant something wonderful began to happen. Some of Train’s dust began to fall off. And Train went on his way.

Train went on another trip that involved riding around curves of mountains taking up lots of time.  And just as Train arrived at a curve, he noticed that another train, from his quarry, was stuck on the tracks.  Just then Train asked his friend, “What seems to be the problem?  You’re holding me up!  Are you stuck? ” His friend looked behind him to see who was talking to him, and with a nod he said, “Please help me, I can’t seem to get over this bump!”

Just then Train made a big sigh, and huffed, as if this was bothering him, as well.  But he knew he had a shipment to bring and was late enough as it is.  So, Train began to push and push, and his friend began to spin his wheels harder and faster, until finally he was able to release himself from the bump.  This made his friend so happy, he Tooted and Hooted all the way through the mountain and at the same time he said, “Thank you so much, Train.  You are a great friend.” 

Train just smiled and at that very instant something wonderful began to happen, again.  Some of Train’s rust began to peel away, but he kept on riding on through, as if nothing special was happening. He shrugged his way around another connection through the mountains and continued his errands for the Grandmaster of the station. 

As Train arrived at this destination, he noticed that everything was deserted.  He saw scattered newspapers all around.  Turned over garbage cans, benches and chairs, and broken glass, too.  Train wondered what happened here.  He was in shock to see such a beautiful place filled with color, look so dirty and dumpy.  And according to Train, quite like himself.

As he shuffled through the station on the tracks, he came upon the doorway of his stop.  He had the most saddened and scared look on his face when he opened the door, that he made a loud “GULP” as a figure came out of darkness.  Train noticed that this figure was not alone.  Train saw many other figures come out of the darkness and as he opened the doorway even wider, the people that were missing in and around the station, were all inside.  One person from the crowd stepped up and delightedly said, “Boy, are we happy to see you.  We just got hit by a tornado and we got trapped inside with no water or food for days now.  We haven’t seen anyone here since the twister came and we are real glad you came on by.” 

Train looked puzzled.  At first, he couldn’t understand why the Grandmaster sent him here, and why he carried the baggage in the container truck behind him.  He almost always never travels with it on.  And now he knew why.  The Grandmaster sent Train to get these people some help because of the storm.  He couldn’t tell Train why he sent him there, because he was afraid he would say no.  And as Train looked around at the sea of faces he noticed they were all smiling and thanking him for his help. 

And, again, something magical began to happen.  Train couldn’t understand why, but his dirt began to fall off and the remaining dust and rust, as well.  Finally Train began to show his true colors and shine just like the “TRAIN” he’s always been.

Also in the crowd was the Little Girl from earlier that day.  She came by to give Train a hug and say thank you for being such a GREAT TRAIN.  Train didn’t know what else to do but blush and smile. 

Train and the conductor had enough room for all of the people to gather their things and ride along to their next destinations.  Even when it took all night and into the early morning sun, Train dropped off each and every passenger.  And since that moment Train always had a smile, a shine, and a passion to help and serve.  And from time to time Train would get dusty, rusty and dirty; but that never bothered Train again. Because he always knew every time he helped someone, he would always get shinier and faster.  And he would rarely get dirty again.

Soon, after Train had the busiest route in the quarry.


....The End....
© Copyright 2007 A DUB of Creativity (awilda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1293447-TRAIN-Rusty-Dirty-and-Dusty